~Creature Suggestion- Varri!~

in Fan Art & Creature Suggestions

Deleted • 13 January 2015 at 8:56 PM

#mcmelly
#creaturesuggestion

I got really stuck on Medicine hat paints last night and this happened:
http://horsiegrl.deviantart.com/art/Hestar-Eggcave-Creature-Suggestion-506926793

I'd very much prefer this be a CSP Creature for July, but again, if it gets made, it does not have to be July o-o I don't really care when it is released IF it is released.

EDIT: Please note that the two "leaves" at the creature's ear are not leaves! They are feathers! I wouldn't mind them being called leaves if I didn't say in the description that they're feathers *pokes mention of it in description* I realize they don't quite look like feathers. I'm still getting used to digitally coloring/drawing feathers, but they're not leaves :/ I'd appreciate it if you'd read the description as well as look at my creature, or at the very least, read this little note.

Egg: Varri eggs are most commonly found nestled in the grass next to watering holes dotting the plains after a herd has passed through.

No one is sure what function the two feathers serve. All scientists have been able to establish is that if one is removed, not only does it not grow back, it kills the growing creature inside.

Creature: A Varri will always remember where its herds' watering holes are. If one is separated from the main body, it can easily find its way along the watering hole route until it finds its family.

Young Varris spend the first few hours of their life laying on the ground close to their mothers. Once the young creature stands, it can easily keep up with its mother and the herd as the massive family moves from watering hole to watering hole.

Adult Varris are naturally wary of humans, as they were once used by the ancient Arkians as pack and work animals, and none more so than the male in charge. Because protecting the herd has fallen to him, at the sight of a human, the lead male immediately rounds up his massive family and moves them to the next watering hole.

Pings. Sorry!:
@mastergemma
@kaiserbakura
@dragon_collector
@bang14982
@heather519

Female
1,083 posts

bang14982 • 13 January 2015 at 8:58 PM

@mcmelody
It looks really nice! I also like the description you wrote 😊

Female
362 posts

heather519 • 13 January 2015 at 9:02 PM

@mcmelody
Love it! ❤️
Ekk! >~< First stage is so cute!!! I just wanna snuggle with it! xD Hope it gets made! 😋 but Itd be great if it were a LE...So that I could get one xP The description is GREAT! C; But aww xD My future Hester is gonna be scared of me... 😋
Overall I LOVE THIS IDEA and I approve! 😸

Pings ❤️
@dcmaster
@rashka
@hellhound
@kodakthewolf
❤️

Deleted • 13 January 2015 at 9:03 PM

@bang14982

Thanks ^-^

@heather519

Thanks XD

More pings:
@5lillypads
@icedragon3000
@iceiceice

Female
1,422 posts

rashka • 13 January 2015 at 9:05 PM

@mcmelody

cute! 😃

Female
362 posts

heather519 • 13 January 2015 at 9:06 PM

@mcmelody
Hehe xD No prob! ❤️ C;

Deleted • 13 January 2015 at 9:30 PM

@mcmelody omg i love it! 😃❤️ horses are my second fave animals 😸

Deleted • 13 January 2015 at 9:33 PM

@rashka

Thanks ^-^

@kodakthewolf

Awesome 😃 They're my first XD

Pings o3o:
@birdboysplace
@dragonn
@sin

Female
491 posts

icedragon3000 • 13 January 2015 at 10:03 PM

@mcmelody Looks nice^^

93 posts

red_maple_meadows • 13 January 2015 at 10:06 PM

More pings o3o:
@veritaspunk
@kristiekitten1
@mindassala
@lucywithdiamonds
@karenna19

Deleted • 13 January 2015 at 10:09 PM

@icedragon3000

Thanks ^-^

Female
221 posts

lucywithdiamonds • 13 January 2015 at 10:12 PM

@mcmelody, it's nice 😊 I like the name

it would be cool to see it in another color than brown and white though, to make it stand out more from the calla

377 posts

kristiekitten1 • 13 January 2015 at 10:25 PM

@mcmelody
Cool, you drew that, hope it gets made.

280 posts

333 • 13 January 2015 at 10:31 PM

@mcmelody
So cute!!! Looking forward to having one if it works out!!! 😉

Deleted • 13 January 2015 at 11:34 PM

@lucywithdiamonds

Thanks c:

The colors were based off Medicine hat paint horses, but I might play with it just to see what happens o3o

@kristiekitten1 @333

Thanks ^-^

278 posts

birdboysplace • 14 January 2015 at 7:38 AM

COOL - Really nice!

Great drawing by the way... 😊

I love every stage.. 😊

Great Idea!

@mcmelody

Deleted • 14 January 2015 at 9:04 AM

@birdboysplace

Thanks ^-^

Female
133 posts

5lillypads • 14 January 2015 at 11:51 AM

Some one called me?

Deleted • 14 January 2015 at 10:00 PM

@5lillypads

Yep o3o I posted a creature suggestion and was looking for feedback ^^;

More pings:
@cougar
@promise
@sparkoftime
@bubblez

88 posts

sparkling-stars • 14 January 2015 at 10:09 PM

I love it! It's really adorable and you have really good drawing skills. Definitely would have one if they were available. 😊

Deleted • 14 January 2015 at 11:03 PM

@sparkoftime

Thanks ^-^

Pings, sorry!:
@_black333_
@brunosc
@raitonchidori
@immortalraven

Female
562 posts

lenamilove • 21 August 2015 at 10:59 PM

@mcmelody I really love the art and description, but I agree with lucywithdiamonds in a way. Whether body color or bigger/bolder markings, a little more vibrancy or differing palette might help it stand out 😊

Female
370 posts

pupicorn • 23 August 2015 at 1:30 PM

@mcmelody

Nice description! the little leaf in the Varri's mane is so cute!

738 posts

dragonnn • 27 August 2015 at 10:07 AM

@mcmelody

It's a very cute horse, but are the markings (of Native American Peoples, obviously) really necessary? Can anyone even tell me what they mean?

There are enough issues with this in real life, and in regards to Ark, what 'peoples' would mark their horses, and why this way? In the creature description itself, it is very wary of people. I can see why the ones from before that were used by Arkians may carry markings (and not necessarily ones reflecting those found in real life), but the wild born ones have fur/hair that just shapes human hand print markings, etc.?

Not going to leave a link, but check racistequestrians on tumblr if you want to see more of what I'm talking about.

A medicinf paint horse sprouting leaves from its head is cute enough without the 'extra'. Maybe focus on the properties of the leaves. Or not.

Deleted • 27 August 2015 at 12:19 PM

@dragonnn

In my opinion, yes, but my intent with them was not to be racist and so I apologize if I've offended you or anyone else as that was not my intention, either. As for the meaning of said markings, no, I cannot, but I can tell you what a Medicine Hat paint meant. With that particular coloration, that horse was considered magic and had great powers of protection so that whoever was riding the animal was protected from any and all harm. Because of this, medicine hats were usually ridden by a chief. Now if you'd like to educate me on the markings, please do so through a private message.

From the way you've worded your next paragraph, it sounds like you're wanting something more naturally colored or more realistic. Did you consider the possibility that maybe I wasn't depicting a "modern" creature? I can reword the description to reflect it, as that was my intention, but I regret to tell you the design itself will not be changed. First off, I am of Native American descent. Second, I don't have the means with which to do so as my computer is down and I am truly fond of this creature. Most of the design was done comepletely digitally, something I often have a hard time with, so it makes me feel accomplished when I get something to look the way I want without guidelines.

If you wish to continue this, please contact me personally. I'd rather continue through a pm than here.

93 posts

red_maple_meadows • 27 August 2015 at 5:45 PM

@dragonnn

Pinging from a side cause I missed an n earlier and can't double post ^^;

738 posts

dragonnn • 27 August 2015 at 6:32 PM

@mcmelody

No need for a PM. I want nothing of the design to be changed, I only wanted to know why these markings were used here.

I myself do not know the meanings of these markings, but appropriation of cultures is an issue and I wanted to be sure that this was not what was happening here. Though I am not in control of which creature suggestions are picked, I would rather say something than let a possibly problematic situation go unchecked, as I do not know if the staff is aware of these problems, and will not assume.

Thank you for your response.

Female
770 posts

loumina28 • 13 September 2015 at 1:36 AM

@mcmelody wow! It's soooo beautiful! I love it! I just love it!!!

Deleted • 18 March 2016 at 8:49 PM

Also maybe this year? O-o

Female
1,243 posts

senkou • 18 March 2016 at 9:10 PM

@mcmelody
It's ok. ❤️ I think it could maybe do well in next years CRW. 😊