New to Egg Cave? Join free and get 5,000 EC!
Returning? Sign In now.

Hello, guest!

Search

Stay Connected

Topic

Forums Index > Site Feedback & Ideas

Livepulse | My Subscribed Topics | My Recent Posts | My Recent Topics | eCode Guide | Forum Rules
The Official Species Rerelease Discussion
Should Retired Cave/Cash Shop Creatures Be Re-released? POLL

dawnfur Anything except Foo UFT for full grown Tine~
Posts 879
Female    Ping User In Reply    Private Message
View Creature Trades    View Item Trades
#91 · July 29, 2015 at 4:25 pm
Report Message   Report Spam Bot  

@yam

The creatures that were rereleased were originally from the cave, and were gotten from the cave during the rerelease.

The most general complaint I saw was they paid money and now they have "no value"

And then some also about it being retired.

bluewolf Back at college ••••• Semi-hiatus
Posts 452
#92 · July 29, 2015 at 4:25 pm

@yam

If people want things, they can work towards them. This site has done very well for 6 years now with retiring creatures and making new ones, and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

despair A fancy quote.
Posts 1,663
Male    Ping User In Reply    Private Message
#93 · July 29, 2015 at 4:26 pm

@bluewolf

Haha, yeah. I was going to point that out too. xD I'm even having second thoughts on buying one. xP

~~~

I believe that, if this re-release thing just MUST be done, noone can be happy without it, that we need to wait until Eggcave and the opinions on the matter have...matured a bit more. Because we clearly are not there yet. Some people detest the idea, some seem neutral and unsure, some are sticking to it rather strongly. I just don't think we're quite there yet.

Posts 452
#94 · July 29, 2015 at 4:30 pm

In general, I think a better idea than rereleasing would be to add new and extremely rare creatures into the cave occasionally. And when I say extremely, I mean like maybe 50 or so being released and that's it for that specific creature. That way everyone has a chance at getting a rare creature they can trade upwards with.

rosaline_kaye Welcome Week on Flight Rising! Talk to me @Levesque (join Ice pls)
Posts 795
#95 · July 29, 2015 at 4:32 pm

@bluewolf

Now this is a better idea than re-releasing. Everyone can have a chance at getting a rare creature to trade with.

looks like we're the non-supporting trio lmao]]

ami_utsukushii May is next month!! Trying to get my Peatrance creature made <3 <3 ((Link in Profile))
Posts 710
#96 · July 29, 2015 at 4:33 pm

Oh for the love of all things egg cave. Ok look, @bluewolf Ok, so you just said "that's life". You know what else is life? People going back on something they said, people working for things while others get what they worked for with a little less hassle, things changing. That's all life. Things happen.

yam Gifting back chocolates to whoever sends them!
Posts 265
#97 · July 29, 2015 at 4:34 pm

@bluewolf

my response to that would be the privilege argument in my first post. Let me know if there's something there you disagree with.

@Despair

people will always disagree and feel strongly on both sides, unfortunately or fortunately. Ultimately, this discussion board is to hash out arguments on both sides. I just hope the admins of eggcave will stay neutral while considering all the arguments on both sides, then making a decision based on that. Not because of one particular argument, but because of all of them as a whole.

ami_utsukushii May is next month!! Trying to get my Peatrance creature made <3 <3 ((Link in Profile))
Posts 710
#98 · July 29, 2015 at 4:36 pm

With all of this, it can be discussed maturely if we talk about what's good or bad for the site, not for what's good or bad for us as users. Or maybe a little of that mixed in, but not like...with shots.

despair A fancy quote.
Posts 1,663
#99 · July 29, 2015 at 4:38 pm

@bluewolf I like that Idea, but maybe a bit more than 50. People would start complaining that was too few/not enough in circulation.

@yam

I agree with that, although I am obviously biased towards no re-releases. I have a bit of an open mind, which is why I said I strongly believe that this re-release thing should wait until the general opinion on the matter has changed a bit more.

Truthfully, it really just doesn't seem fair to me. xP

Posts 452
#100 · July 29, 2015 at 4:44 pm

@despair

Yeah, probably a little higher of a number. Just trying to make the point that these creatures would be very rare and very valuable.

@yam
I've gotten all my rare and retired creatures without using a cent of cc. Because I saved up the LE's I had, I traded upwards, and I worked hard. Yes, I admit that older users have a larger number of 'valued' creatures, but that's the benefit of them being older. In a few years, we'll all be considered older and our creatures will be more 'valued' as well.

despair A fancy quote.
Posts 1,663
#101 · July 29, 2015 at 4:46 pm

@bluewolf

Seems like a great idea!

~

Hypocrisy is never a good thing, just because we do it doesn't make it right. I keep saying this just because of how important is.

Posts 710
#102 · July 29, 2015 at 4:48 pm

People are doing more collecting now, they're getting tons of the newest creature so there are a lot of them owned, which in some people's eyes, takes down that "rarity". So when they should be harder to get, they wont really be.

Posts 452
#103 · July 29, 2015 at 4:48 pm

We all also have to realize that great creatures are bound to come. Creatures whose artwork rivals some of the most widely considered beautiful creatures. You never know what creatures are to come the following months, but it's only a matter of time before something like that comes along.

Posts 710
#104 · July 29, 2015 at 4:51 pm

Even still, I support a re-release, those creatures may be like that, but people are still wanting older, way harder to get creatures. The newer ones that are coming out will be amazing, but its like...its not the same.

Deleted user

#105 · July 29, 2015 at 4:52 pm

The Oasis has lowered values of Aerlos and Drakomos. Yes, but they were hardly worth 1000 CaveCash at a shot.
I intend to highlight those creatures here, especially the Legendary Three - Onny, Macbot and Doovoo. These are easily worth over 20,000 CaveCash at a shot, that is approximately $180. While it might sound silly that someone would spare that much for a single creature, I agree that the value will plummet down.

But its just a matter of time before the value goes back up.

Macbot/Doovoo - People didn't like the appearance in the first place -> less purchases. Ended up being less in amount in the TC and had high values.
Onny/Tine - Most people purchased these since they had an appealing appearance

PS: Too much EggCave lag.
--
PS[2]: Considering an Onny can go for 20k CaveCash right now, if you say 50 Onny(s) were re-released, it would plummet to around 2000 CaveCash.

Posts 710
#106 · July 29, 2015 at 4:57 pm

@wizard
Yeah, the price will eventually go back up again. It won't always be lower. And it's true that people will get creatures based on appearance, if they like it they get more, if not then they dont, and they end up being rarer because not many people own them.

despair A fancy quote.
Posts 1,663
#107 · July 29, 2015 at 4:58 pm

@bluewolf

Very true.

@ami_utsukushii

At the moment, they might not be rare but they'll get up there. Cetopias weren't "rare" until a good while after they were released.

@wizard

The value isn't the sole thing that I'm concerned about, even though admittedly it does play a part. Yes they would plummet and yes they would rise, but it would be nowhere near the value of what they are right now. Not saying that it's a bad thing, but it is a noticeable change. Values would be weird.

Posts 710
#108 · July 29, 2015 at 5:02 pm

@despair
I know, I know. I'm just trying to say that a re-release wont do a tremendous amount of permanent damage. It would change a lot but it could be for the good.

lykhaos117 Aldehydes, ketones, esters, ethers, enolates, alkanes, alkenes, alkynes, carboxylic acids, alcohols, amines... My head will explode. T_T
Posts 2,346
#109 · July 29, 2015 at 5:06 pm

@bluewolf

I like your idea of having new super rare creatures. Regardless of whether there's a rerelease, I believe this should be considered.

@iceiceice

I agree with you. To be honest, I'm more interested in people's reasoning than the outcome of the topic itself. I think that this is a good way for all of us to examine Egg Cave's values and learn more about why people take particular stances on certain issues and that people may come to the same conclusion for very different reasons.

On another note: Egg Cave also teaches real life skills:

Problem-solving skills when completing our fun puzzles and games
Bartering skills when negotiating in the Trade Center
Reading skills when reading about the exciting creatures and stories of Egg Cave
Responsibility when caring for/feeding their creatures
Budgeting skills when managing their Egg Coins (the site's currency) and bank account

(Source: Egg Cave FAQ)

Egg Cave is similar to real life in many ways, regardless of whether it was intended to be. I find it interesting that we now are also practicing political debate skills.

despair A fancy quote.
Posts 1,663
#110 · July 29, 2015 at 5:07 pm

@ami_utsukushii

I definitely see where you're coming from, but such a large amount of change could do harm just as well as it could do good. You never know, while unlikely, a few people could just buy a hundred Onny and then they're being traded like Yeeps in UFA lots. (exaggerating, but you get my point.)

With such a big change, even with statistics we don't know how exactly this is going to work. Which is why I still stick to my opinion that Eggcave should stick to it's 6-year promise.

veritaspunk At moments perpetual-metamorphosis, intrigued complexity at least, but at other times dynamic-lethargy among warring internal idiosyncrasy
Posts 3,038
#111 · July 29, 2015 at 5:07 pm

As I approach on a year with this site I envision my participation with egg cave as week to week or month to month with short term vision because of my personal situations I can not really consider that I'll still be on egg cave next year much less 3-4 years ...

I realize I may be an outlier ...

The egg cave experience is "different" for those who weren't here in the beginning ...and I've often felt there's "classes to the fun" ...

Which is one of prerogative that the creator[s] get to decide .. but it would open up the "fun" to ALL if what has made up egg cave over the years were made available to -- ALL in some means ...

As such though I will re-post recent comments I made on the matter:

First edition creatures / the "originals" would still etch out an appropriate place with value I would think .. as having a re-released creature as indicated by the "stolen date" would have less prestige...

It makes little sense, except for fervent greed, to get so upset about a 1 day release or even 1 week release ...

_____

All this being expressed I'm having "short term" fun with this site, but have had to make compromises like it was a text book or life lesson rather than a site with enjoyable game play ... with "re-play value" that integrates into my life routine casually ...

despair A fancy quote.
Posts 1,663
#112 · July 29, 2015 at 5:09 pm

@veritaspunk

I don't believe this at all. Foos and Florns from 2009 used to be worth a tad bit more than the re-release ones, but now they're all worth the same.

Deleted user

#113 · July 29, 2015 at 5:13 pm

@ami_utsukushii
Macbot(s) and Doovoo(s) will be having a very low value once they are re-released and it will be a matter of years till their value builds up again.

Onnys and Tines, on the other hand, are very appealing and they will still hold a "base value" even after the re-release (if one happens in near future)

To be honest, stages also matter. Especially egg stages (for collectors too):
Tine egg - 5 in existence
Onny egg - 4 in existence
Macbot egg - 6 in existence
Doovoo egg - 2 in existence
(all from known sources)

Its crazy that a Doovoo egg was priced at 100k. That's around $800 in cash.

rosaline_kaye Welcome Week on Flight Rising! Talk to me @Levesque (join Ice pls)
Posts 795
#114 · July 29, 2015 at 5:23 pm

I'd like to hear what Ian thinks.

despair A fancy quote.
Posts 1,663
#115 · July 29, 2015 at 5:26 pm

@rosaline_kaye

As would I. Hopefully he'll stick by Eggcave's word. xP

veritaspunk At moments perpetual-metamorphosis, intrigued complexity at least, but at other times dynamic-lethargy among warring internal idiosyncrasy
Posts 3,038
#116 · July 29, 2015 at 5:26 pm

@despair

That's the case with such a wild west structure, greed will always win out ... making it about a persons wealth rather than skill/game play ... if you want a truly encompassing experience ...

Posts 795
#117 · July 29, 2015 at 5:30 pm

I'd still like an official creature value list, though. That'll hopefully make the prices of things reasonable.

iceiceice Functionally inactive
Posts 1,789
Ping User In Reply    Private Message
#118 · July 29, 2015 at 5:39 pm

Not directed to anyone, but I just want to point out that the rerelease are most likely limited. He will most likely only release ### much and/or there will be a time limit for you to get the creatures.

The oasis gives you unlimited attempts, there is no limit.

Also, straying, but serious question: what's being rereleased...

despair A fancy quote.
Posts 1,663
#119 · July 29, 2015 at 5:41 pm

@iceiceice

I believe that once this re-releasing stuff happens, it's not going to stop for a while. Most if not all will probably be re-released.

Certain amount of time means nothing. People can find a way to get creatures in bulk even if released for only a day or two. Especially if you can buy them in bulk, then you can expect hundreds of Onnies everywhere.

Posts 710
#120 · July 29, 2015 at 5:42 pm

@despair
That's why we've been saying it needs to be done in moderation. Like, for example, if Spookcats and Goblars came back out for this Halloween. Since Goblar's were cave creatures at first, they'd be in the cave all October but there's be a 45% chance they'd be found. It would be possible to find more than one but only a few would be released. Of course id be sad if I didn't get one xD but chances are someone would find one and trade it or put it for auction. Or The Spookcat could be part of a plot or in the cash shop for around 1000-1500 CC. With a limit. You're only allowed to get one, only on your main account. Then at a certain day in October you couldn't get one anymore. It could be a number of things but it'd be something like that. I'm just using those as examples, the actual thing would be a lot better thought out lol

This topic has been closed. No replies can be posted.