Breeding creatures?

in Site Feedback & Ideas

80 posts

emi804 • 13 April 2016 at 4:36 PM

If a creature can be labeled "mature" (over level 2000) it should be able to lay eggs, just suggesting so there is yet ANOTHER way to get creatures.

1,327 posts

bgunny • 13 April 2016 at 6:53 PM

That sounds like a cool idea.

80 posts

emi804 • 14 April 2016 at 12:23 PM

@bgunny

Thx 😸 lol

@happy050505

I pinged happy because they are interested in a breeding function/station.

Female
16,162 posts

bunnyshadow • 14 April 2016 at 12:29 PM

Maybe if there was also a rarity level and you need a male and female of the same species. Along with that, paying CC/EC to do it in addition to a percentage chance. <50/40/30/20/10/5/3/1% depending on the age and rarity of the pets.

1,122 posts

iceiceice • 14 April 2016 at 1:36 PM

Personally, I'm not interested in a breeding station. This idea has been reiterated and suggested many times before.

Firstly, from other topics, Ian has already said this idea would not be implemented. Of course, it may change, but seeing how often this topic come up, I'm doubt it.

As he said (admittedly, a while ago, but still relevant), there are many many sites that have breeding. If EggCave goes down that road, it may loose some of the uniqueness and individually this site has.

Now, people here are really touchy about values, and they believe breeding will screw up values. Since values are such a sensitive topic here, I won't touch on that here. Plus, I got to the point where value isn't a concern of mine, so I'm really flippant about it now.

In my opinion, EggCave isn't a breeding site. It's focus is more on trading/collecting. EggCave functions fine without it, and doesn't need breeding (same/different species breeding both).

Furthermore, this will give an advantage to users who have been on for a while and has a lot of rares. For example, Macbots (a yas, the macbots tines, whatever. it's brought up a lot), are exclusive to the "elite" players (for a better lack of word). There's a fair chance that they will use this to their advantage in trades. Wouldn't this put a greater division between the new/oldiers?

To add on, if you breed retired creatures, I feel as though they loose that label. It looses the exclusivity and the "limited edition feel."

Let's take trading cards for example,
The first edition charizard card is an exclusive card that, if I remember correctly, is in the first booster pack, and only a certain # is available and they don't make it anymore. sounds cool ya?

But now someone decides to print a lot of those cards. With this printer, you can have as many charizards as you want. Wonderful!

But now, what's the appeal of collecting them when you can print copies of them?

As you can see, by breeding limited/retired creatures, the creatures looses it's exclusivity label, loosing it's appeal.

Switching topics now,
You can get available/non-retired eggs in the cave. What will be the point of going to the cave then? Yes, the cave is randomized, so it might be a little frustrating to get the creature you want, and breeding gives you a controlled way of getting the eggs you want. However, the randomization/probability the cave offers makes hunting for eggs in the cave a little more fun, don't you think?

Now, if we make breeding available, what's the point of going to the asteroid, the caves, oasis, thief shop, etc? Breeding is to these area, as the leaf of vaka is to tim's food shoppe, yes?

Overall, I'm against the idea of breeding creatures, not necessarily because it values would go *whoosh* (though that is a slight factor to me, as limited editions loses exclusivity), but more because EggCave doesn't need breeding, it isn't a site that started out with breeding, it's doing fine without it, so why add it in all the sudden?

80 posts

emi804 • 14 April 2016 at 1:43 PM

@iceiceice

I understand that the less common would lose their rarity and appeal, and that is most likely why it hasn't been added to this game. I don't collect cards but there used to be a match attacks boom at my school.

1,122 posts

iceiceice • 14 April 2016 at 1:54 PM

I don't collect cards either, but the idea is simple enough to understand.

1,562 posts

shelby • 14 April 2016 at 3:58 PM

@emi804

I know this has been suggested quite a bit, and as mentioned, @Ian has always said it will not be something that is implemented into the site.
Of course that could change, maybe the common cave creatures will become breedable but the limited edition and cash shop creatures will not be.

Though I wouldn't count on it being a new site feature, at least not at any time in the near future.

Most people would be quite upset if limited edition creatures could be bred, because some people pay A LOT or trade A LOT in order to get said limited edition creature, and if you could obtain them for free, essentially, it wouldn't be fair to those who spent so much on said creature.

There could always be a potion of breeding in the cash shop park, but I still feel this would be quite unfair, because they could never make a fair price on such an item because some people pay hundreds of dollars for some really old or rare limited edition creatures.

EggCave is more about trading than it is breeding. If you really want the functionality of breeding, I would suggest finding an adopt site that already has a breeding system. You can still enjoy the satisfaction of breeding creatures.
But I again, wouldn't count on it ever becoming a feature on EggCave. If it was ever going to be a feature, it would have been something coded in from the beginning of the site, not 7 years later.

Female
349 posts

fairy_tail • 15 April 2016 at 6:17 AM

@emi804

As mentioned by ice and shelby, this topic has come up a lot of times in the past. I also agree with them with the fact that if LE creatures were to become breedable, it would defeat the purpose of the site.

Values would go out of whack and everything would start to have a declining value. True, it would pave a way for many to get retired creatures, but they wouldn't even be worth much anymore since people could just breed them willy-nilly.

As they say, if everyone were to get an LE creature, it wouldn't even be an LE creature anymore.

As someone who collects a plethora of limited, collectible items in RL, I can't help but agree with ice's parallel. Having something with only a few of it in existence is what makes it special and desirable. If a lot of it exists, owning it is pointless. That's not what collectors look for.

80 posts

emi804 • 15 April 2016 at 2:19 PM

@fairy_tail

Okie... I have no idea what to say but LE creatures population would become bang out of order!

Trans Man
151 posts

ancientclaw • 16 April 2016 at 12:59 PM

Yea i dont think it would be good for the rarity factor but it is creative thinking on the plus side!

Female
42 posts

winnona • 16 April 2016 at 7:07 PM

I do see the point of things losing their value, but it might be plausible if they were to implement it with the percentage system @bunnyshadow suggested, but also a time system, like the Cave.

For example, a common that's currently in the Cave could have a 50% chance, and you can attempt to breed them once every three days.

A creature who's been retired but was common get's a 30%, and you can attempt to breed them once a week.

A CC creature's percentage could be something like 5% or 10%, and you can only attempt to breed them once a month or longer periods of time.

I feel that this would help keep most of the value. Besides, only the people who have creatures from years ago could breed them, so if some people were against the idea of it, they could just throw a disclaimer on their profile; "I don't do breeding because I don't agree with it, so don't ask please."

Female
2,299 posts

metaphor • 16 April 2016 at 9:05 PM

I don't really think we need breeding here. I think it'd make Egg Cave more complicated than it has to be, since it seems to be designed to be a collectable site and not a breeding RPG. But I guess I'm open to anything so long as it is thought out and not just released on a whim.

Male
2,762 posts

fakeworld • 16 April 2016 at 11:15 PM

A lot of interesting points were brought up by @iceiceice, and I have to say I certainly agree. I don't see this happening or see a need for this to happen for various reasons; it would make things far more complex than they should be. Egg Cave would lose its sense of uniqueness, considering that we are one of the few adoptable sites out of many that don't have a breeding system, and doing perfectly fine without it.

But to wrap this up, breeding
is such a norm. Very cliche.

Female
320 posts

christened_moon • 16 April 2016 at 11:36 PM

I have to say that this also opens up a lot of opportunity for scammers. Say you need a male and a female. For a lot of the newer eggs, that's fine. It's relatively easy for people to obtain a male and female of that creature. But....what about a Yuki? I can count on one hand the number of people who have more than one...even less that are still active. So, someone says, "Hey, I'll trade you for your Yuki, breed it for two eggs, and give yours and an egg back." It sounds so fair, but it only takes one person to ruin it for everyone.

Also, breeding is a bit mature for some people. Not everyone who plays this site is of an age where talking about aspects of breeding is appropriate. This is one of the major reasons that certain other sites do not have breeding. I understand that the mean age here on EggCave is higher than some of the more popular sites, but it is a restriction that needs to be taken into account.

Female
42 posts

winnona • 17 April 2016 at 1:18 PM

@christened_moon "Also, breeding is a bit mature for some people. Not everyone who plays this site is of an age where talking about aspects of breeding is appropriate."

I don't see the validity of this part of your argument.

Most kids by the time they hit double digits probably know that it takes a mother and a father, and due to the amount of access to the internet now-a-days, probably more than that. For example, the school system I went through had sex ed. as early as Gr. 6.

And no one said there has to be any serious, stat-related breeding aspects that questions would be raised. Just take a male this-species and a female same-species, and click a button. That's it.

Also, you said it yourself, our mean age is a bit higher. I doubt we would have many problems on that front.

Female
320 posts

christened_moon • 17 April 2016 at 7:00 PM

@winnona

I'm just saying it's not our place to facilitate it. Just because kids have access to it, doesn't mean it's ok.

Female
64 posts

sharaya26 • 18 April 2016 at 12:24 AM

I think egg cave is fine the way it is. If breeding was implemented, egg cave would lose it's draw/interesting quality to the site and people would not sign on as much and slowly lose interest in the site altogether. I think egg cave is Great the way it is and don't forget that now there is the click exchange available to all who want to slowly immortalize their coves/creatures!!!

Female
211 posts

stefrawr • 18 April 2016 at 10:07 AM

I think breeding would be fun but it would take away from the value and uniqueness of this site... Plus, you can have so many eggs in your cove theres no real need for breeding! just collect them all. But one other thing, I don't think if we were to be able to breed creatures on here that it would be too mature for others.... I mean you don't have to show the creatures actually mating but like just be able to pair them up and get an egg from it. I don't know if anyone has facebook but theres multiple pet games that do breeding and its done in a very innocent way.. example, happy pets. you select 2 animals to breed, it shows them together in a heart and says if the breeding was successful or not.

just an opinion. But I can also see where others are coming from since this site does have a lot of younger children on here.

we have all made very valid points here!

Female
42 posts

winnona • 18 April 2016 at 12:50 PM

@christened_moon

True, but things could also go the other way. Someone young with an inquiring mind might wonder why only the same species can breed, which could lead them into the world of genetics, and possibly give them an interest in science that could lead them into a career someday.

Really, though, there are good arguments to both sides.

1,122 posts

iceiceice • 18 April 2016 at 1:23 PM

Gonna butt in here again. This is going in a weird direction.

But what the egg.

When the heck did this idea of "male
+ female = offspring" become "not ok" and "too mature?" Perhaps I'm misinterpretation the argument here, but it seems unlikely based on the follow up.

It seems like a very basic concept most young people can understand, especially in this day and age.

There are actually a lot of games out there that has the basic idea of "breeding." Take an adult male and a female, and you get a child. That's as basic as it gets.

It's like crafting.
You get a stone and a stick, and you get a tool.

You get red and blue, and you make purple.

You get milk, eggs, flour, whatever, you make a cake.

It's practically the same idea. They're not going to be 100% scientific, detailed, follow-this-step-by-step game.

Aw man, you want to make a cake? Well, you need 7/4 flour, 2 cups of sugar, 2 teasp. baking soda, 2 eggs, 1 cup of milk...etc etc...preheat 350, grease your pan, combine your mixture...etc etc....

No, I doubt they're going to go that far.

They might do something like: get milk, sugar, flour, idc, combine, throw it in the oven, magic happens wow, what a perfect cake.

~
ok back to the topic.
anyways, the idea isn't bad, but I find it unnecessary. If it's implemented, I won't quit, but it'll change the site in a way that might change how people play the game.
~
ps sorry i'm tired

Female
894 posts

murfijs • 18 April 2016 at 1:25 PM

creature breeding will be good

Female
42 posts

winnona • 18 April 2016 at 1:28 PM

@iceiceice

I agree; I made a similar statement earlier.

"And no one said there has to be any serious, stat-related breeding aspects that questions would be raised. Just take a male this-species and a female same-species, and click a button. That's it."

But I like your cake example a lot better. 😃

27 posts

cutie1211 • 18 April 2016 at 8:13 PM

That sounds so cool

Cisgender Female
135 posts

tyerwa • 18 April 2016 at 9:01 PM

My opinion-
Breeding just might not fit well with how this site works.
Maybe this is just the site I play on, but they have breeding because each pet is individual and different, with different layers and colors, so the offspring have different, interesting colors and such. Also because their are hybrids as well.

I think of this site as just a "collecting and trading" site, as stated above. Each pet can only be attained by adopting the way the site originally intended, and nothing more. The idea is cool but their appears to be too many cons- mostly value. cx

And the breeding "maturity"? I believe most users wouldn't think about it at all; just accept that you need a male and female for there to be offspring. This site is pretty kid-friendly and would probably make the breeding as simplistic and naive as possible.

80 posts

emi804 • 19 April 2016 at 12:00 PM

@tyerwa

They never make breeding non simplistic on games if you know what I mean.

Female
4 posts

rowanclan101 • 19 April 2016 at 1:13 PM

ugh you guys need to go on other games that let breeding happen. try wolfplaygame.com, draconistheory.com and horseeden.com play them long enough and wala they have breeding icons too!!! Also why does it have to be the same breed why can't there be a new egg you can't find in the cave (though i know it would be hard to program that but still)?

Cisgender Female
135 posts

tyerwa • 19 April 2016 at 5:04 PM

@emi804

Yeah.

Female
14,880 posts

hedwig68 • 19 April 2016 at 5:49 PM

Ah, the age old argument over breeding. I have seen topics similar to this one so many times over the past few years, and while I admit that they're becoming more thought out and thorough, I can just never bring myself to agree with them. Maybe it's because I was most active during a time period in Eggcave when values were extremely important to every user so the idea of breeding and disrupting that value system was preposterous, so I'm just stubborn and stuck in the ways of the past. Whatever it is, I just don't see the point in breeding.

Eggcave doesn't have a necessity for breeding because that's not what kind of website it is. It's a collecting website, and why would anybody really collect eggs when they can just breed the ones they want and possibly get a bunch of one specific creature. There is no need for breeding, so what's the point in implanting it. Besides, imagine how difficult it would be to introduce such a feature. You'd be faced with issues like: can creatures only breed at certain stages? What would it take to breed said creatures money wise? How would it play out? Is there a center where you choose the creatures and hit "breed" or would there be something on an individual creatures? Is there going to be a cool down period where a creature can only breed every so many days? Do the eggs appear in your cove automatically or do you wait a few days? And then a billion other questions. Basically, I think breeding will be way more hassle than it's worth.

Female
162 posts

qerrat • 24 May 2016 at 3:21 PM

@emi804, I think it should be a thing, too! I know a website i think copied egg caves ideas and things but has a breeding page. You should have to own two of the same creatures and both should be in the last stage, mature, in other words. It sounds fun!