No mandatory naming

in Site Feedback & Ideas

2 posts

recycledheart • 9 July 2016 at 5:47 PM

Pretty simple, I think that users shouldn't have to name an egg in order to obtain it.

Female
74 posts

blakes_mama2005 • 12 July 2016 at 11:25 AM

@recycledheart I agree... but I also understand why it's required... It would be helpful if it randomly generated a name in the box, or a few suggestions underneath to click on quickly. (like most similar sites have)

Female
546 posts

candaline • 12 July 2016 at 6:43 PM

@blakes_mama2005 That would be helpful 😊

Female
3,584 posts

lailaluckyseal87 • 12 July 2016 at 7:03 PM

@candaline @blakes_mama2005 @recycledheart

I don't think eggcave plans to change it because many, many, many users like the way they do it, and it would be really hard for them to make random names because people might take it or they would have to update it constantly.

Female
546 posts

candaline • 12 July 2016 at 7:25 PM

@lailaluckyseal87 I know. I'm pretty picky about names, and I guess it would be a lot of trouble for naming now that you mention it.

Female
2,299 posts

metaphor • 12 July 2016 at 9:36 PM

I'd like that. If you don't have a name in mind, just let the system generate one for it (just random letters and numbers) like the SAR and TS creatures.

Female
3,757 posts

sparklefox • 13 July 2016 at 4:21 AM

@recycledheart - This actully seems like a good idea. Would save you having to mash on the keyboard because you couldn't think of a particular name at that point, haha. I'd like this, too.

Male
660 posts

veritaspunk • 13 July 2016 at 6:25 AM

@recycledheart

I personally don't like randomly generated "letters and numbers" .. perhaps we could have a choice to name it or a random number/letter generator.

My issue is the character limit needs increased by like 3 at least

Female
74 posts

blakes_mama2005 • 13 July 2016 at 9:52 AM

@veritaspunk With you 100% on that part! 14 characters is rather constricting...

2 posts

recycledheart • 13 July 2016 at 8:24 PM

I wasn't thinking that the site could generate a name for you I was sthinking that there wouldn't have to be any name at all so the egg would just remain "unnamed"

Users should have the choice to name the creature later on if they want to for free

Male
2,762 posts

fakeworld • 15 July 2016 at 12:41 AM

@recycledheart
I like this, this would be pretty helpful. What I normally do is just randomize my own names lol.. I'd just quickly tap the keys a few times and bam!

Female
105 posts

rickyraccoon • 21 July 2016 at 4:51 PM

It would be helpful if you could at least be able to steal the egg so they have it first and THEN name it. Instead of "approach egg" name egg "steal egg," It should have steal first. That way, people can ensure they have the egg before they need to name it.
I actually experienced finding a Listrick and taking too long to find a good name for it, and when I found a name... someone else had taken it.

Female
163 posts

qtpie7 • 22 July 2016 at 4:45 PM

@rickyraccoon
that makes a lot of sense! I totally agree with you. It is really frustrating thinking of a good name and sometimes that pondering really ends up making things worse, like in your case. I hope they can find a way to make naming easier. Perhaps more than one creature can have the same name? i find that terribly inconveniencing as well.

Female
218 posts

sek • 26 July 2016 at 8:49 PM

i like that way better cause i have a few names that i cant name my creatures because there names are too long. 😃

Female
280 posts

naturegirl1999 • 6 August 2016 at 6:14 PM

There was a point when I just typed random letters because I got tired of the box saying name is taken. I think this would help a lot

Female
2,299 posts

metaphor • 6 August 2016 at 6:30 PM

I'd say non-mandatory naming would ease the "no-good-names" taken issue for a while. I really can't advocate allowing free naming simply because names are such a big part of the economy here now, sorry. ☚ī¸ But I could see a system where 3-5 creatures could have the same name (I think it was mentioned that there were no plans of implementing anything like this for now, but if there were, I think this would be the fairest route for everyone)

And I second a character increase for names. Also would be cool if we could have 1-2 character names, but I'm not sure how hard that would be to do.

Female
280 posts

naturegirl1999 • 6 August 2016 at 6:42 PM

I can't imagine it being that hard, but I'm not a coder so I don't know I like the idea of increasing character amount and allowing shorter names because that means more names to go around before all names are taken

Female
5 posts

pearlsky • 8 August 2016 at 4:27 PM

@recycledheart
@naturegirl1999
@metaphor
I think it would be nice if you could put spaces in names, because that already brings up more possibilities. And, instead of random letters and numbers, maybe the character limit could be raised high enough so that you put together random words and numbers.
Just a thought.

Female
2,299 posts

metaphor • 8 August 2016 at 6:23 PM

@pearlsky

I like that idea too! Spaces in names would really open a lot of great naming opportunities.