The Comfort Corner

in Chit-Chat

Female
3,201 posts

ushafuse • 29 August 2016 at 4:17 AM

Need someone to cheer you up? Are you feeling down? Don't worry, you're not alone, and no one is going to leave you behind.

We're all here for you. Rant all you want here.

Everyone gets upset over certain things, and no matter what, they have the right to rant/ask for help about it. Everyone is welcome here to talk about anything they need comforting about.

BUT, if it's about someone else on Egg Cave, please don't tell who it is or try to find out. We don't want any fights going around here. Best, don't even talk about it.

(to mods: i don't get why this breaks the rules if it does, but if so, just lock it.)

Deleted • 29 August 2016 at 9:21 AM

You know what ticks me off the most about this rotten world? Society.
Girls are taught from when they were young that beauty was in the shape of a plastic Barbie doll. We're all made of numbers apparentely. Numbers on a scale, how many followers on social media you have, your grades, how much you have in your bank account.
Stereotypes. If you're black, you're obviously a gangster and savage. If you're asian, you're obviously cheap and disgusting. If you're German, you're obviously a Hitler-lover. If you're white, you're obviously racist and have no culture. It ticks me off how people have the guts to judge someone before knowing a single thing about them. If you wear make-up, you're obviously insecure and want attention. If you don't wear make-up, you're obviously lazy and hiding something. If you wear shorts above the knees, you're obviously seeking male attention. If you wear skirts below the knees, you're obviously religious and hiding something.
Calling others ugly makes you ugly. I strive not to use the word ugly, because the word itself is ugly and sick. No one is 'ugly'. We all have beautiful features. We all have the small things that mean more sometimes. Eyes, nose, mouth, cheekbones. We're all beautiful in our own way and should be ourselves. Make-up is not something you need in any way, and young girls are tempted to wear it because everyone around them seems to be wearing it.
When was it ever that people liked you based on personality? In this rotten world we live in, we only care about how you look or how much money you own. It's hard to find a trustworthy soulmate these days. It's sickening.

Feels good to get that out.

Female
349 posts

fairy_tail • 29 August 2016 at 1:33 PM

@positivevibes

Hear, hear.

Okay, so I've been feeling really down lately. It's mostly because I'll be starting my first year of college in less than 2 weeks and I'll be going to a different country to study. It's going to be my first time on my own and I'll be living in a dorm and everything. I know that a lot of people are probably in this situation as well, but I'm feeling incredibly anxious because I've never been good with socializing with others and I feel like I'm going to end up being a wallflower like I was in high school (something I desperately want to change). I also know that studying at this college is the only way for me to be able to reach my dream, it's a stepping stone of sorts. It provides me with opportunities I wouldn't be able to find if I study in my home country.

But the weight and just the idea of being somewhere away from home, alone, is just daunting. I've never cooked my own meals before or done my own laundry and now I'm going to have to learn. It's also incredibly nerve-wracking how my grasp of the country's native language isn't incredibly good (I only know enough basic things) and I get lost once sentences are spoken quickly. It's been keeping me up at night and I'm getting restless and I just want to cry. I'm leaving in a week and it's stressing me out.

I don't really have anyone to rant to in RL. I have some online friends who I can talk to, but they aren't always available so I tend to just pent up all my feelings. I can't really tell my family because they keep going on about how it's going to help with my dream (I know it is) but they largely don't understand how it's eating me up inside. They don't get the feelings that are swirling in me and making me antsy and scared and nervous.

I just wanna soak myself in a storm right now. A storm is the only thing I can think of that can remotely explain what I'm feeling. I just wanna go under the rain and cry out all my frustrations and worries. If only the rain could wash them away.

Demiboy
2,368 posts

ethereality • 29 August 2016 at 1:44 PM

@fairy_tail Hey sweetie ❤️

I definetely feel your pain. I'm starting my first year in a academically advanced high school in a week, and it's sure turning my nerves on. I'm quite shy, and I have social anxiety, so it's hard for me to socialize in real life. It doesn't help much that I'm a boy either, as many people stereotype that shy boys aren't shy rather are introverted and don't need friends.

You can rant to me if you ever need any help. For the socializing issue, this might sound like the same crap everyone says, but I personally find it helps. (Even if the help is minimal) So just try to find the MOST approachable person, even if they don't seem that approachable and stay near them. Maybe if you summon the confidence, talk to them. If not, Wait for them to talk to you, whether it be small talk or common interests (anime *cough*)

Does your college usually have group projects?? That's a great way to make new friends. It basically forces people to talk to you and realize that your an awesome person. That's the way I met most of my real life friends.

Best of luck,
Kit ❤️

Female
2,301 posts

lykhaos117 • 29 August 2016 at 2:17 PM

@fairy_tail

Hi, I wish you luck in college! *hugs* I'm sorry you feel anxious about it though. It's very courageous of you to go to another country to achieve your dreams. That shows a lot of dedication, and we need more of that in this world. ❤️

To add to what @motivecat said, you might want to 'advertise' your interests if you don't want to go out of your way to interact with people. When I go to a new area, I normally wear anime merchandise (well, I do that anyway in most places). It will likely attract people with similar interests towards you so that you don't have to go through the trouble of seeking people out yourself. You might also want to join some clubs. 😊

Sometimes, you can also make friends in surprising ways. Last semester, I was looking for a professor and encountered another student looking for the same professor. We decided to talk a bit and discovered we had some things in common, like a shared passion for science and anime and the same contrary opinions on a certain class and another teacher. Also, professors can make good friends, too! I probably talk more to my professors than other students.

I'd also like to warn you to be careful with group projects. They can be an opportunity to make friends, but they can also potentially cause a lot of misunderstandings, especially if not everyone wants to put forth the same amount of effort. I have a feeling that a lot of my classmates disliked me because I'm a perfectionist, even if I ended up doing most of their work for them... >_<

As for becoming fluent in a foreign language, try watching some native TV or even some of your favorite shows dubbed in that language! Listing to music is helpful, too; just remember to understand what the lyrics mean.

I hope this helps, and good luck! ❤️❤️❤️

Female
349 posts

fairy_tail • 29 August 2016 at 2:40 PM

@motivecat

I know what you mean about stereotypes - my high school was an all-girls school. So you can imagine the stereotypes that ran rampant in that place. Honestly, most of my social anxiety is a direct result of studying in that school. I was an outcast throughout my studies there because I wasn't like them - the high school girls you see on TV archetype.

Thanks, I appreciate the support. Glad to know that there's someone I can talk to.^^ ❤️
I can try that method, but from past experiences, it never really worked out so well for me.

As for group projects, I've had bad times as well. Back at school, I'd usually end up doing all the work because people said I was "the smart one". They'd also ignore my ideas and my presence completely sometimes so it was as if I was doing the work solo.

@lykhaos117

Thank you.❤️ Honestly, there are times when I would ask myself why I even have this dream because of all the anxiety it's putting me through but then I remember the things I want to do so I push through with going abroad.

Ah, 'advertising' my interests never went well for me in my high school. I wouldn't openly show off what I liked, but if it came up in conversations, I would mention it or during recitation in class. But since I'm more into "boy stuff" (as my classmates used to say), it made me an outcast. People thought I was childish because I like to watch cartoons, that I was a freak for liking anime, that I was too tomboy-ish because I like videogames and comics. But what I never understood was that there were others who liked the same things as me (not necessarily all those things, but one or two) but they were treated normally and some of them were even quite popular. Maybe that's also the reason I'm scared - because I'm afraid of being shunned again.

One of those serendipitous moments. If only I could have more of those in my life. I used to be close to a few teachers throughout my high school life and I'll admit, I could talk more openly with them compared to my classmates. So I suppose you're right there.

Haha, I cannot agree more with that. Similar to what I said earlier, I've had some bad history with group projects. I've cried more than once over groupmates who treated me like trash. And I've been in a situation like yours - I did practically all the work yet they're completely ungrateful for it. Then they have the audacity to complain that I'm a terrible groupmate. Humph.

Honestly, I'm the only one in my family not fluent in the language. It's super embarrassing.☹️ I'm trying to learn from my mom, but I'm having a hard time.

Thank you. I certainly need all the luck I can get.❤️

Demiboy
2,368 posts

ethereality • 29 August 2016 at 2:48 PM

@fairy_tail

Oh gosh. That's horribly sexist and stereotypical. They call video games and comics boy stuff? That's like so last century. And they call themselves in the know. It almost makes me laugh. And that's horrifically scary. I would be devastated I had to go to a boy-only school. Lots of them are narrow minded jerks.

I come from a group of gamer/anime obsessed friends, and they usually tend to hide in the corner outcasted by every one else. We literally nicknamed ourselves "That one group in the corner". Try to find these people 😉

The language issue... I know it's hard. If your feeling super done and bored out of your mind learning a language try DuoLingo (super fun) and Quizlet (also super fun). The games there will help you drill words in your head 😉 I don't know about fluency, as I was never great at that, but fluency takes time. Don't drill yourself on that, it's not your fault.

Female
349 posts

fairy_tail • 29 August 2016 at 2:54 PM

@motivecat

Tell me about it. I mean, this is the 21st century, get a grip people. Don't even get me started on the rumors people started just because of my interest in "boy stuff". Same with the girls honestly, they have it in their heads that girls need to act a certain way and like certain things to be "normal". And if they don't, then they should be treated like dirt.

That's nice. I wish I had friends who I could chill and hang out with like that.😊 I'll try to see if there will be people like that in my college. Crossing my fingers there will be.

I've downloaded Duolingo but unfortunately, the language I need to learn isn't included under the "English speaking" category.☹️ But I'll try the other one.😊 I don't need to be fluent - just enough to make necessary conversation like asking directions and buying groceries. Then I can work my way up from there.^^

Demiboy
2,368 posts

ethereality • 29 August 2016 at 2:57 PM

@fairy_tail Mmk, best of luck! ❤️

Please tell us what happens if that doesn't bother you! 😉

Female
349 posts

fairy_tail • 29 August 2016 at 3:00 PM

@motivecat

Thank you so much again.❤️ I really appreciate having someone listen.❤️❤️❤️

Haha, sure thing.^^

Demiboy
2,368 posts

ethereality • 29 August 2016 at 3:05 PM

@fairy_tail

No problem 😊 I'm glad someone appreciates me ❤️

Female
349 posts

fairy_tail • 29 August 2016 at 3:12 PM

@motivecat

Of course you're appreciated.❤️ Never for one moment think you're not - someone out there cares for you whether you know it or not.❤️

Female
3,584 posts

lailaluckyseal87 • 29 August 2016 at 3:49 PM

@fairy_tail I'm having the same personality problem as you. I'm a huge tomboy, my hair is always a mess, i wear boyish clothes, and whenever i'm around girls who only care about their looks I feel like they are staring at me in disgust. Honestly, people are so sexist it makes me want to scream at the world. If only @ian ruled the world everything would be amazing.

Female
3,201 posts

ushafuse • 30 August 2016 at 5:21 AM

Alright, time for me to confide in my own thread. This may seem stupid but let me rant it out once and for all.

So it's been a few weeks since i fell out with my friend. well it all started when she suddenly started looking very down after one class i wasn't in with her. of course, i tried to talk to her and comfort her but she told me to go away. i didn't know what was in me then but i kept bugging her. then the next day she stopped talking to me. i have no idea whether it's about that incident but if it was, i really think it's petty. a few more weeks passed and she started talking to me again, but two days right after that she became cold again. i really don't know what i am supposed to do to be with her again. i try to apologise but i can't do that so easily. everyone else thinks she and i are best friends, but after this, i really don't know what to think or do. i just can't give this friendship up; she was the first to talk to me when i came here and i just don't know.

i try to open myself up to others and lay down my pride. i feel like i look stupid and pathetic when i'm always the one alone when the teacher tells us to find a partner or something. no one bothers to care about me, that's how i feel. there's only one other true friend i trust and i think she's a fake too. she won't give up her other four friends just for me, as if she must hang out with those others.

i'm sorry if i sound rude or anything. i've more problems that i keep to myself and i just don't know how to deal with all this

Female
349 posts

fairy_tail • 30 August 2016 at 7:25 AM

@lailaluckyseal87

I can't agree with you more. I don't get why girls feel the need to be so petty. It drives me insane how they value looks and interests over the personality of the person.

@ushafuse

I'm going to give you a big hug right now because I know exactly how you feel. I'm not lying when I say that reading what you said made me cry because I went through the same thing just recently as well.

I'm not going to say it's easy to cope with this because it's not. It never is. Honestly, it will hurt. But it's okay to feel bad about it. You will wonder about what went wrong and if you were the one who did something wrong. But you shouldn't dwell on this, though it hurts, you need to condition yourself to move on.

Friendship is a two way street and if your friend doesn't want to exert any more effort into your relationship, then it's best to let it go. If it hurts you this much, letting her back in might not be the best choice. It could just give her too to hurt you again (that's what happened to me).

I know it's hard having no one to partner up with (always happened to me too) but you don't have to impress anybody. Show everyone that you don't need others to survive. Try asking the teacher if you can do pair projects solo - it's what I always did. And I didn't care that people didn't want to partner up with me - I showed them that I was fully capable of working on my own.

Don't feel like you're bothering people with this because you're not. It wouldn't do to pent up these feelings inside you because it will only make them worse. Letting them out will help you feel better. Trust me. If you ever need to talk, just go ahead and PM me. I'm always willing to lend an ear to listen.😊

*hugs* ❤️❤️❤️

Demiboy
2,368 posts

ethereality • 31 August 2016 at 4:17 PM

@ushafuse yo I'm always a third wheel too I always make people uncomfortable. I try to make good friends, but they always have better friends. Same problem on Eggcave. Nobody needs a best friend except us outcasts anymore. It's sad I can't even find a best friend on Eggcave.

@positivevibes I agree! It's horrible how they do this stereotype! I'm so glad Alicia keys didn't wear makeup to the MTVs, and those people calling her ugly should shut the crap up ;/

------

Btw gotta rant right now for the opposite gender because it's so overlooked because no one really even cares.

I listen to empowerment music. I definetly do need it. "Fight Song" and "Titanium" are awesome songs. Though I recently heard on a popular blog that no, they aren't called empowerment songs, they are called female empowerment songs. Ok, so this is so sexist on so many
levels. It's like saying that it's not supposed to empower me to get through depression, just females. It's also technically saying that males don't need empowerment, because we all have super egos and super confidence. And they call themselves liberals on this blog. I call them fake liberals.

Many companies/people are now replacing the term fat with curvy. Yea, I love that. But there's nothing to tell boys that it's ok that they're fat. It's basically their taught from their birth to play and love sports, and when you don't, it's peculiar. Males are taught from the day they are born that their feeling don't matter, suck it up, and move on. Males are taught that hitting other males is OK. Males are taught that you should only be mannerly to females, but not males. These at all examples of sexism and stereotypes.

Male depression is highly overlooked, and suicidal males are usually viewed as lunatical, maniacal, and crazy. Female depression is rarely ignored by school councelors and babied and pitied, and male depresees are thought of by criminals and filth. And then you wonder why male suicidal rates are so much higher than females.

Thank you. It felt good to take that off my back.

Female
496 posts

shadow_girl • 4 September 2016 at 10:29 AM

@ushafuse
I know exactly how you feel, the something like that happened to me last year. I had two "best friends" who were both put in the same class—the class I wasn't in. The began to ignore me and talk if I wasn't there, and just shrug my questions off when I asked what they were talking about. Like I was stupid. They always acted like I was worse then them, but I had always just brushed it off. I always thought, "Well, that's how are friendship is!" But that isn't really friendship, is it?

Eventually one of them got very mad at me for some unknown reason and the other followed her lead. I did make new, true friends after awhile, but it was painful to be rejected by people whom I'd thought to be faithful and known for 4 to 5 years. Especially when the second friend, the one who was just avoiding me because my first friend was, came and told me that "She would hang out with me, but only if [friend 1] didn't know, and she was going to avoid me in school be she didn't want [friend 1] to get mad at her."

This hurt mostly because I HAD KNOWN HER LONGER THAN SHE HAD KNOWN THE OTHER FRIEND. We had been "best friends" before the other girl came. So it felt like betrayal times 2.

We're on neutral terms now, but I don't think that we'll ever be true friends again. I think that I finally grew a backbone and made better friends, stopped hanging around people who thought I was their lesser. And yeah. I'm pretty happy with my choices.

Good luck finding new friends, I know it hurts but it will get better. I promise. ❤️

~~~

@motivecat
I have a good friend who's a guy, people do sometimes make fun of him for hanging out with girls. I hate it, it's mean of them to assume that guys only hang around other guys, that sine he doesn't fit the standard "male stereotype" bill he's weird. It's unfair. People can be so naive sometimes.

I feel like when a girl's a tomboy, it's still accepted more then if a guy likes "girly" stuff. That's just unfair. People can like whatever they want, and should be accepted for their personalities, not shunned. And with all this pressure to be "manly" and "tough", guys can't really express themselves. No one ever made a law saying that any male who doesn't like and play sports is unequal to everyone else, but yet they're treated that way. That's one of the biggest and worst stereotypes in America, and people still ignore it. Like it's fair.

~
Rant over. Sorry about that... 😋 I just need somewhere to throw my emotions around and make a mess. Thanks for being here.

6 posts

nightfire90 • 4 September 2016 at 4:58 PM

hello im new here, just saw this topic and decided to pop in. ^.^

Just briefly read over the covo that be going on here and i'll just say that i support everyone here. *thumbs up* Yeah there are a lot of stereotypical things going around but this is a corrupt world nothing is perfect. But people DO need to stop with the sexist and racist stuff.

I cant say a lot based on experience since im just entering highschool and i go to a private christian school so my life is still continuing. ^.^ But still a lot of things go around in my school. And i can relate to the tomboy thing. I have friends who are guys and some of them ive been with for a long time so we're close. I have the same interests of the "Boy things" that some people may find weird, but really, there will always be something weird and not "normal" about everyone. I mean to be honest what is a completely "normal" person? Everyon is special and unique, AND should be respected.

I have my "best friend" who has been with me for a long time but we didnt have the best start. When i was like what, in kindergarten to grade 4-5ish i was more introverted and didnt really like sports and such. My "best friend" then was someone similar to me. Later on around that time another girl came in and she basically stole my "best friend" from me at that time. At that point im still small so it was the whole "i hate you so im never going to talk to you ever again" punishment. And actually the girl who stole my "best friend" was bossy but no one wanted to admit it and stuff so you would hear gossip about her and everything. Eventually instead of hating her and "never talking to her again" i suddenly became "best friends" with her (who is my best friend today) And when she heard of the gossip i was the one to make her feel better. What a twist right.

From then i changed as well, became more outgoing, excited, energetic, and talkitive. My previous "best friend" found someone else but we're still close so no feeling hurt between us.

I said a little more than expected but this is the point of the topic. 0.0

Female
313 posts

playdate • 13 February 2017 at 9:45 AM

@nightfire90 I understand exactly how you feel I went through that a lot