First day of school!!! What should I do?

in Chit-Chat

Do you like school?

Female
1,575 posts

sorrow • 30 August 2016 at 12:30 AM

It's my first day of 7th grade tomorrow, and I'm going to a new school for the first time. Lockers and seperate classes. And as far as I know, none of my friends are in the classes at the same time as I am. Any help to calm down a little, and advice from ya older people out there? (Not saying your old, you're just older than me.) And help is loved 😋 ❤️

~Ted 😸

Male
2,762 posts

fakeworld • 30 August 2016 at 1:06 AM

@teddy267
You're going to get to school tomorrow and after about an hour you're going to ask yourself "What was the point of me being nervous?". Lol that was me every year on the first day of school after being nervous. Just try to make new friends and try to enjoy middle school while you can! My most nervous (first day) year was my senior year of high school.

Female
2,301 posts

lykhaos117 • 30 August 2016 at 1:19 AM

@teddy267

Hi, good luck with school! ❤️

I recommend learning your friends' schedules. Try to spend as much time with them and even make new ones. I'm warning you that not all friendships from elementary school last. This isn't always the case, but entering a new school may cause people to drift apart. Also be careful what you say around others; not everyone knows you, and some people can be cruel and/or jump to negative conclusions. In addition to that, try reaching out to people who seem lonely. Middle school can be hard at times, so it's good to make people feel like they can have someone welcoming in their new environment.

Also try not to give in to negative peer pressure; you'll probably be exposed to a lot of new influences, both good and bad. Habits you form now can affect you for the rest of your life.

It's also important to enjoy yourself! This is a new chapter in your life, and try to make the best of it, both socially and academically. Sometimes, things may seem difficult, but what you learn now prepares you for more learning in the future and may help you later on in unexpected ways. You might sometimes wonder why something is even worth learning, but keep in mind that it could matter to you later on or at least matter to your classmates. I also recommend getting to know your teachers; that way, they'll be more likely to help you out if you're having difficulties or need advice. If you become too much of a teacher's pet though, you could get bullied, so you might want to balance how outgoing you are in front of your peers.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you need any more advice, and good luck! ❤️

Female
368 posts

scorpio • 30 August 2016 at 4:49 AM

@teddy267
You're starting middle school? 😃 This year is my last year in middle school haha xD.

My best advice would probably be; just enjoy it! Make lots of memories, get to know lots of people. Those years in middle school will go by really fast so the best thing to do is just make the most out of it. Dont focus so much on the stress (homework, exams ect) but you still have to take them seriously tho... But dont let it ruin your experience. Do you get what I mean? Like yes, take your studies seriously, get awesome grades but dont forget to have a good time along the way. That's what I really regret not doing during my middle school years. I was so focused on my grades that I didnt make a lot of friends. Now I'm in my last year of middle school and I'm trying to get to know more people. I really wish I did that earlier though. So yeah dont make the same mistake I did haha xD.

I really wish you the best of luck ❤️ ❤️ I know how tough these things can be.

Female
1,575 posts

sorrow • 30 August 2016 at 10:38 AM

@fakeworld @lykhaos117 @scorpio
Thanks so much! I leave in about half an hour and this made me less nervous 😸 I'll be sure to do the things you all suggested 😃 Have a lovely day! 😸

Female
246 posts

crazyfeline • 30 August 2016 at 10:53 AM

@teddy267 I remember waaaay back 6 years ago when I started year 7. Scary. I didn't know anyone, I'd only just moved. so I was terrified. I didn't want to go. You make friends really easily though, its surprising how many people won't have class with friends or know anyone. Don't stress! 😊

Have an amazing time!Im sure you'll love it and make a ton of new friends! 😊

Female
89 posts

lzumi • 30 August 2016 at 12:24 PM

@teddy267

Enjoy your day!

My biggest piece of advice is to stay on top of your grades and your homework. Try and set up a schedule for when you should do certain parts of homework, rather than leaving it last minute. You don't have to do it as soon as you get it, but try your best to avoid waking up at two in the morning in a panic because you completely forgot about that history essay.

Don't worry too much about making friends. Everybody feels the same, and you'll find yourself making new friends in no time! I find that if you have a new teacher, they'll tell you where to sit based on names and what not, so use that to your advantage. I've spent the past couple of years sitting next to the same person every day and we've made quite good friends.

Finally, don't let yourself get stressed out. It sounds harder than it looks, but as long as you keep on top of things and stay organised, it's gonna save you a lot of time and you'll feel much more settled. Its completely inevitable for you to get worried about tests and homework and whatnot, so rather than letting it get to you, try and see the positives. You missed that test on Tuesday? You have more time to revise! You didn't do as well on that piece of work? You know what to improve on next!

Honestly, there's a lot of negativity that surrounds school and growing up, and the large majority of it is false. As long as you behave and focus on what is asked of you, you'll be done in no time. Try your best, and if anything is upsetting or concerning you, talk to a teacher or an older student! You'll be feeling great about it in no time, so enjoy it!

1,853 posts

purgatory • 30 August 2016 at 1:24 PM

@teddy267 if there's a library, then get books to read! That's the only place I like about school except for the art room, lol XD yeah right I hate recess not that I'm forever alone in school but if you're in middle school, does your school do spelling bees? If so then try to get into it 😊

Ps, you should read Watership Down its a good book.

Female
89 posts

lzumi • 30 August 2016 at 1:37 PM

@ammolite Watership Down was my favourite book when I was 10! It confused me, of course, because there's a lot of complex language, but the general plot is amazing. The animated film is also really good. As soon as I saw it, I begged my mum to buy it for me because I was so obsessed. I was, uh, a bit of a maniac....

1,853 posts

purgatory • 30 August 2016 at 1:39 PM

@izumi I read the book when I was 9 😋 have u read Inkheart, Inkspell, and Inkdeath? It's a trilogy made by Cornelia Funke hopefully I spelled that right let's continue this conversation in mail

Female
1,575 posts

sorrow • 30 August 2016 at 9:33 PM

Thanks guys 😸 It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be!
❤️ Reading that's really calmed me down 😃