Tips for art?

in Entertainment

34 posts

bramblepond • 26 January 2017 at 1:18 AM

Okay, so i can draw humans decently but, i can't draw cats for the life of me. I understand that you have to practice (which is what I've been doing) but I thought why not get some tips to help? Anyway thanks to anyone who contributes to my plead.

Female
12 posts

xxestherxx • 26 January 2017 at 10:17 PM

Hi sorry just a warning this is probably gonna be pretty stupid advice so sorry 😋

I don't exactly know your err 'level of skill' or whatever you'd call it so I'm sorry if I say something that offends you ;-;

I guess I'd say to use a reference! It really does help honestly, and using a reference doesn't mean you're bad at art at all. Also remember that cats don't really have long necks. I see a lot of people drawing cats with long necks and I don't know why ?? Also with the paws. The paws are like a slope..They're not blocks, I don't know how to explain it really. Also remember that cats ears point *outwards* not straight up, not inwards.

It also really depends on what kind of cat you're drawing. Different breeds look really....Different. So that's where references come in.

Haha sorry if I didn't help at all.

Deleted • 26 January 2017 at 11:40 PM

@bramblepond

The best way to learn how to draw cats, or any animal for that, I'd say to start with basic shapes. 😊
For example, always use a circle for the head, guidelines (using curved lines) to show the direction of the head also helps.
I'm at the point where I need a circle to start things, and then I can just sketch out the rest of the shape and position.

But if you are beginning, I suggest drawing a cat from life, even if it's watching your own cat and making quick sketches of certain body parts, such as eyes, paws, legs, faces, mouths, ears, ect.
Using circles to help place shoulders and joints help to get a rough sketch out when practicing from memory.

Some examples of my stuff is here: http://clbr6117.deviantart.com/

I'm ok at people, but only if I am looking at someone. 😋

Hope this helps!! 😃
If you have any more questions let me know. ❤️

34 posts

bramblepond • 26 January 2017 at 11:43 PM

@demons @xxestherxx
Thanks you two! These are some great tips that should help a little. And @demons your art is amazing!

Deleted • 26 January 2017 at 11:48 PM

@bramblepond

No problem!! 😃 😸
And thank you so much. ❤️

Deleted • 5 February 2017 at 11:31 AM

@bramblepond

Whenever I draw cats, I always make sure the eyes are huge. Cats have some of the biggest eyes I've ever seen. They are also pretty large compared to other mammals.

I always draw fur on top of the head, like covering part of the eye. I don't know why, but if I don't do that, it makes my drawings look dumb.

I suggest that you make a light sketch first, then use a hard pencil to outline. Then use an eraser and erase the sketch and you should be left with a hard gray outline of your drawing.