Birchwood Academy

in Roleplaying

93 posts

secreteggent • 11 March 2017 at 7:26 PM

Located off the grid, the Birchwood Academy was founded in response to the sudden emergence of kids with abilities. Fear swept the nation as anomaly after anomaly arose. Society maliciously dubbed them as “altered”, but at the academy they were called “gifted”. It was here that these kids were given a safe place to learn to control their gifts. But danger looms on the horizon as a mole has infiltrated the school, and they’re set on selling the information to those who would see it destroyed.

Name:
Personality:
Appearance:
Gift:
Weakness:
Other:

Name: Augustus Hendry (Goes by Gus)
Personality: Easily irritated, observant, acts like a sarcastic audience member, can get quite stubborn, a little jaded, independent
Appearance: He has dusty brown hair, light brown eyes, and mousy features. He has a smattering of freckles across his body, is 5’7”, and has an average build. Has the potential to have a bright smile
Gift: Can make his presence seem unimportant in the minds of others. When his gift is active, it’s exceptionally hard to focus or pay attention to Gus, and trying to is like trying to catch smoke with bare hands.
Weakness: Gus’ gift is a bit residual. Even after he’s not using it, the effect lingers and slowly wears off. When it is in effect, he can’t concentrate it, so his gift affects everyone, not just one individual. Gus also does not know how long his gift will be in effect for, so he just has to wait it out. It will hardly be activated for more than three hours at a time.
Other: Went through a rebellious phase where he dyed his hair crazy colors and wore outrageous outfits, can play the piano really well

Name: Maeve Lancaster
Personality: A typically easygoing person who speaks her mind and treats other people the way they treat her. She has a strong sense of justice and will speak out if she feels something is wrong
Appearance: Her hair is ginger and styled as an undercut with the top cut short, has pale green eyes, and an angular face. Is tall at 6'0" and is fairly muscular.
Gift: Has ESP in the sense that she can sense things that she shouldn't have knowledge of, often coming as what she calls 'hunches'. It's a gut feeling that is right far more often than it is wrong. Also has telepathy and can transmit her thoughts to other people.
Weakness: The hunches Maeve gets are often vague, but the greater connection she has to what she is getting a hunch about, the more detailed and accurate it becomes. Her telepathy only works when she is in contact with the person she is trying to read the thoughts of
Other: Is on the women's rugby team

Female
2,186 posts

hashtagnight • 11 March 2017 at 10:57 PM

@secreteggent

Name: Mina Sonata
Personality: Mina is very apologetic and is not good with people and friendships. She can't keep a straight mind on her head, and it becomes hard for her to learn quickly.
Appearance: She has dark brown eyes, crimson hair in a ponytail most of the time, and her skin is light brown, although it is very unnoticeable. Mina is around 5"4.
Gift: She is able to drive people to madness through her eyes when they glow red just by staring directly at her target for five seconds.
Weakness: Mina is unable to control how and when she will have her eyes glow. Because of this, she wears sunglasses all the time to prevent anybody from looking directly at her eyes.
Other: She often sits at the back of classrooms, where nobody will see her most of the time.

93 posts

secreteggent • 14 March 2017 at 1:07 PM

@nightmaremoon12

“Wow, thanks for that astute observation, Phil,” Gus sniped, head boredly resting on his hand and back bent in a way that definitely was not good for his posture. “I never would have guessed that Wuthering Heights had theme of- Oh.” Phil was glaring at him. Glaring at him. Actually at him, “Looks like I’m back now. Sorry, Phil.”

Well that was embarrassing. Or it should have been; Gus didn’t feel particularly cowed by his comments becoming suddenly public. Instead, he sat up straighter, twisting his back and relishing in the satisfying pop, pop, pop that came from it. Some of his fellow classmates stared, and Gus relished in that too. Any attention was good attention was good attention, at least in his book.

Female
2,186 posts

hashtagnight • 14 March 2017 at 4:56 PM

@secreteggent

Mina smiled at her classmate's antics. She barely payed attention to her classes because she was too distracted with anything else. What she tried to pay attention to was learning how to use her gift well and correctly - insanity control.

She reached out for her pen and started taking notes on today's lessson, even though it wouldn't make a huge impact on her mind. It was just writing what you hear on paper, nothing else. Mina hoped nobody payed attention to her.

93 posts

secreteggent • 14 March 2017 at 6:01 PM

@nightmaremoon12

The bell ringing to dismiss class was a blessing. While Gus appreciated being seen and heard normally again, people didn't quite appreciate his comments. Which, um, rude, they weren't even disruptive, he was just adding the discussion. In fact, they enhanced the conversation, because in Gus' humble opinion, he was insightful as heck.

"Hey. Maeve," he said, standing in front of her desk as she gathered her things, "Guess what."

Maeve looked up at him, eyebrows arched and lips quirked in a smile, "What?" she guessed.

"You're able to pay attention to me," Gus said, grin spreading wide across his face as he continued, "Which me everyone else is capable of paying attention to me. Which also means that Bertha is capable of paying attention to me, so I don't have to go without lunch today! Take that Bertha!"

Maeve snorted, "Yeah, take that Bertha! We might not know your real name, but you don't know Gus' so we're even!" Standing, Maeve started to head towards the door, "Let's just hope you don't blink out again before we make it through the lunch line."

Female
2,186 posts

hashtagnight • 15 March 2017 at 3:38 AM

@secreteggent

Mina smiled as the bell rang. She put on her sunglasses and headed outside for lunch. It was a blessing when nobody decided to make fun of her sunglasses just for having them. It was the only thing that she had to prevent anybody from looking at her eyes when they glow red.

"Hey Mina!" A friend exclaimed as they jumped behind the girl. "How's it going?"

"You know," Mina replied, "You don't need to teleport to me like that. It's surprising..." She mumbled. "I-I'm just going to get lunch... You can follow me if you want to, Marie."

Marie smiled in reply. "So~rry! I can't leave you alone by yourself! So what if you drive people to madness? You're amazing!"

Eventually Mina's eyes caught a person she'd never seen before. They were some years older than her, but this was the first time she had seen them, especially when Mina payed close attention to anybody who was older and younger than her, even more when they were in different classes.
Mina's thinking then got her in the lunch line, as if she unconsciously went there. It was pretty normal, as she usually gets lost in her train of thought and barely came back to Earth.

Female
839 posts

thelaizywolf2019 • 10 July 2019 at 7:31 AM

@secreteggent can I join?

Name: Fareeha Wolfwoods
Personality: A total i-have-no-time-for-fun type of person. Is very cold and serious towards others, but sweet to those who she trusts.
Appearance: A short sky blue haired white porcelain-skinned girl with greyish white eyes. Is 6'3 in height. Wears purple glasses and grey scarf.
Gift: She has the ability to manipulate ice, light and fire, has superspeed and can shapeshift into anything she wants.
Weakness: She believes she has no weakness, but she has. Her anti-socialness is her ultimate weakness.
Other: Fareeha is very strict about punctuality, and is sucker for musical instruments, books and wolves. Is a good drawer.

93 posts

secreteggent • 10 July 2019 at 7:41 AM

@thelaizywolf2019
Sure! It's probably just going to be the two of us

Female
839 posts

thelaizywolf2019 • 10 July 2019 at 7:42 AM

@secreteggent thanks!

Fareeha silently reads the book in the library. Her eyes scanned the pages. She did not miss a single word, sentence, or dialogue.

The book she was reading was pure horror of the unknown.

She could hear some chattering in the distance.

"....... Sure? ....... Think...... Mole?" She could make out some of the words.

She decided to eavesdropped the dialogue, until she could hear the bell ringing, signalling that recess was over.

She closes the book - returns it to it's shelf, and quickly hurries over to her classroom (without using her supers peed).

93 posts

secreteggent • 14 July 2019 at 12:37 AM

@thelaizywolf2019 Sorry for the wait! I didn't see you wrote up an intro since it was an edit of your post.

"If I do blink out again I just might cry. Like, real tears," Gus said while the two of them walked to the cafeteria. Upon hearing Meave snort, he continued, "I'm serious! I'm a growing boy! You can't expect me to skip meals and miss out on my full potential. I'm stealing food from- ack!" Maeve had grabbed the back of his shirt and inadvertently choked him with the collar. "Ok so I won't take your food-"

"What? No you can take it, it's fine, just... look." Meave pointed to a girl with blue hair. Gus has seen her around before, Fareeha, was he name. Had a ton of powers, apparently, and ones that were actually useful. Gus wasn't jealous. At all. Why would anyone want abilities that would enhance one's life rather than hinder it. It seemed like the cheater's way out if you asked him.

"So, why are we looking at her?"

"I mean, it looks like she's spying on, or listening to someone, and now I want to know what. And I thought maybe..." Maeve was looking anywhere but him, and Gus hated where she was going with it.

"No. Absolutely not. Maybe if we weren't about to go to lunch and I would be skipping, oh I don't know, economics, I would be willing. But c'mon Maeve, this is sustenance we would be giving up. And I just can't do that. You heard my growing boy speech!"

"Fine," Maeve conceded, "But after lunch. Or school. Or whenever. We'll talk with her. She seemed /really/ invested, and usually I wouldn't care about this sort of thing, but let's just say I've got a hunch." And then she winked as if she were capable of being anything close to subtle, and Gus just shook his head as he followed her the rest of the way to the cafeteria.

Female
839 posts

thelaizywolf2019 • 14 July 2019 at 12:57 AM

@secreteggent

Fareeha kicks down the classroom door; not giving a care about what happens to it, besides what's important are her grades not material objects.

She heads towards her designated seat, pulls out her chair and sits.

She pulls out a book, from underneath the seat. It was all about history and stuff; good thing she read the entire book last night, since there was a quiz today.

1,478 posts

arcana • 14 July 2019 at 1:14 AM

@secreteggent
If this isn't private anymore might I join?
Name: Hira Lisen
Personality: Very much happy-go-lucky and klutzy, but it somehow all works out in her favor. She's sweet to most people and usually can't handle bullying or mean comments of any kind. If those come her way, she'll usually sit in semi-silence for a few days. Very sensitive, but also loyal. She has a petty and mean streak a mile wide if you really anger her though.
Appearance: Usually wearing a light coloured shirt with some flowers or nature on it. Not very tall, but isn't the shortest person in the room. She has black hair with a single purple streak and is bronze skinned. Usually smiling and wears a little moon necklace and star bracelet.
Gift: Can make someone fall asleep if she can see them, never has to sleep, can control darkness/shadow
Weaknesses: Klutz, Daylight makes her shadow/darkness powers very weak,

93 posts

secreteggent • 14 July 2019 at 3:49 PM

@arcana Yeah you can join!

1,478 posts

arcana • 14 July 2019 at 4:25 PM

Hira finished reading her book on mechanics and engineering. Perhaps she would try to make a pen with a secondary function tonight. She had just come to Birchwood yesterday, but she had reviewed the curriculum so far in the last week. Now she could dedicate her nights to finishing her projects.

Female
839 posts

thelaizywolf2019 • 16 July 2019 at 12:39 AM

@arcana
@secreteggent

Fareeha sighs as she answers the paper. She already knew the answers to all of them, thanks to her urge to read in advance; or in other words, finish the entire book.

93 posts

secreteggent • 16 July 2019 at 12:46 AM

@arcana @thelaizywolf2019 Do you guys want to do a time skip to the end of the day?

"We don't have to stay in the cafeteria the entire period," Maeve said around a mouthful of tator tots. "We can always do some snooping of our own, ask around to see what people think of Fareeha, try to find anything regarding what she herself was poking around."

"Or we could always wait and ask her ourselves," Gus suggested, not through a mouthful of tator tots, because unlike Maeve he was a civilized human being. "The school day really isn't that long."

Female
839 posts

thelaizywolf2019 • 16 July 2019 at 12:48 AM

@secreteggent sure!

Fareeha was entering the cafeteria, when she notices these particular students.

"What do you want?" She says cautiously. "Do I have to tell you guys what happened to those who bullied me last time?"

She prepares a fighting stance.

1,478 posts

arcana • 18 July 2019 at 10:34 PM

@thelaizywolf2019 @secreteggent
(Sure)
Hira looks up to see Fareeha, was it?, the one who had destroyed the door earlier. She seemed to be talking to some people with aggressive intent. Not her problem. Hira grabbed another book from her bag.

Female
839 posts

thelaizywolf2019 • 19 July 2019 at 12:19 AM

@secreteggent @arcana
"Come on!" She taunts them with her clenched fists. "Do you want to fight is that so?"

1,478 posts

arcana • 19 July 2019 at 12:23 AM

@thelaizywolf2019 @secreteggent
Hira looked up to see Fareeha trying to pick a fight. Sighing, she got up and tapped her on the shoulder.

Female
839 posts

thelaizywolf2019 • 19 July 2019 at 12:25 AM

@arcana

Fareeha calms down, and loses her fighting stance. She wants to turn her head to see who it was, but instead, didn't want to.

"Let me guess, they don't mean any harm.." She tells the figure behind her.

1,478 posts

arcana • 19 July 2019 at 12:26 AM

"Probably. People say you're smart. Do your research." Hira returns to her seat and continues her book.

Female
839 posts

thelaizywolf2019 • 19 July 2019 at 12:28 AM

"Wow, is that supposed to offend me?" She spats at Hira, still not looking at her.

"Well let's just say I'm not a people person, but more of an introvert..."

1,478 posts

arcana • 19 July 2019 at 1:14 AM

Hira ignores her and continues to read her book.

Female
839 posts

thelaizywolf2019 • 19 July 2019 at 1:24 AM

@secreteggent
Fareeha turns her attention back at the particular students (Gus & Maeve). "So, what topic do you like to discuss?" She says in her usual serious, introvert, and cold voice.

"That's why you were waiting for me, yes?" She lifts a brow.

93 posts

secreteggent • 23 July 2019 at 12:30 PM

@thelaizywolf2019 @arcana

Maeve's head perked up when she saw Fareeha enter the cafeteria. "Looks like we won't have to wait long after all!" She was about to stand and call her over when Fareeha got into a fighting stance. How had she known that they wanted to talk to her? "I... what?"

Normally Gus would have poked fun at Maeve for getting so badly thrown off her rhythm, but he was in the same boat at the moment. The same rickety boat that seemed to get thrown around more and more with each succeeding interaction. "Can we just- can we just slow down a little bit here?" Gus finally said.

"Yeah, there's no need to get so defensive," Maeve continued, getting her bearings back with Gus' intervention. She put on her best placating tone as she continued, "We don't want to fight; we just wanted to talk to you. Tator tot?" She offered.

Female
839 posts

thelaizywolf2019 • 24 July 2019 at 12:14 AM

"No thank you.." She turns down the offer. "So, let me guess, curious about what I heard?"

1,478 posts

arcana • 24 July 2019 at 12:17 AM

Hira eyes her food cautiously before taking a bite. It wasn't the best, quantity over quality, especially with this many students. Ignoring the banter happening behind her, she continued to read in silence.

Female
266 posts

starlight123 • 25 July 2019 at 1:48 AM

@secreteggent Would it be alright if I join? (She's probably gonna be a new student)
Name: Vestia Ceres
Personality: A closed off, kind of aloof girl, Vestia sure doesn't have a knack for making friends. Of course, once she has a friend, she's the happiest girl in the world. She has a bit of sharp tongue and can be rather blunt at times, but she tries her best to keep that under control. She's can be easy to annoy. She's a bit bi-polar. She can be happy and bubbly one day and cold and depressed the next. However, you don't really get to see her full bi-polar side unless you get to know her. Vestia doesn't usually like to be in the center of attention, so she tries to avoid eye contact with people, since she has bright purple eyes.
Appearance: She has long, dark brown hair that she usually ties in a ponytail. Vestia has bright purple eyes, which tends to scare people. She likes to wear hoodies, jackets, and sweaters (she's not keen on showing her arms). You can usually find her wearing legging (she hates jeans and sweatpants). It's very rare to catch her in a dress, or a skirt, but she is willing to dress up for special occasions. Her leggings are always black, but she enjoys changing up the color and designs of her hoodies and jackets. She hates neon colors and will never wear them. She's about 5'4. Vestia has a scar running from her eyebrow to her cheek from an old classmates attempt to cut her eye open.
Gift: Mimic. Can mimic the ability (that she knows exists) for about 20 minutes. Depending on the ability she used, cooldowns times can be from 25 minutes to 3 hours.
Weakness: Besides her cooldown times, she also hates her eyes. If you make any joke about her eyes, she will either destroy you, or run off. She also has an irrational fear of helicopters and airplanes. She doesn't mind using her ability to make her fly on her own, though. She's also a sucker for a good poem or song, or anything romantic.
Other: Vestia tends to have mood swings. Her father gave her a "poison ring" as a gift, which can hold a small object (about the size of a fingernail) in it.

93 posts

secreteggent • 25 July 2019 at 3:04 PM

@starlight123
Sure! You are more than welcome to join!

@thelaizywolf2019
Maeve and Gus exchanged a look, and with it unspoken words. A slight quirk of an eyebrow and a tilt of the head conveyed everything they needed to share. "Yeah," Maeve said, turning back to Fareeha. "And if you don't mind me asking, how did you know we wanted to talk to you?"

"And that we wanted to know what you heard," Gus added.