Mafia, the RP (Sign-up)

in Roleplaying

9 posts

probablyalizard • 14 March 2017 at 12:48 AM

Hey! I've never done this before and I hope we'll have fun, but the best way for that is constructive criticism! Please tell me if I mess up, forget something, or just don't know some RP etiquette. I would appreciate it a lot!

In the small town of Altus, something wicked is brewing. Once we have at least six people (myself included), and around eight or ten characters (hopefully twelve, but I'm not gonna make having two characters a requirement, just a suggestion), and the actual RP board is made, I'll use a random number generator to assign roles and PM three of you- one doctor, one detective, and one killer. The way the RP will work is through traditional mafia rules- every night, the killer will PM me who they attempt to murder, the doctor PM's me who they want to save, and the detective PM's me who they investigate. I'll PM the detective back the role of the person they investigated, and then it will be day. The day starts when I, in story format, announce the killer's victim and the person the doctor saved. The detective can announce themself who the murderer is, if they've found them. Then, everyone must put up one townsperson to be hanged- everyone will place their vote, anyone with more than one vote will give their alibi, and then a second vote takes place- this one will end with someone hanged. They may write and post a will/last memoir/etc. if they wish. Then, it will become night again. Repeat. Votes stop when there are only four townspeople left. The game ends when either no one is left but the killer, or the killer is caught and killed.

Now, I know this sounds like just mafia, but here's the interesting part; the story is more important than the actual rules of the game. Do things that a person in Altus would do, not just things someone playing mafia in Altus would do. You'll notice votes stop at four, but the game doesn't end for three nights more- that's because, despite the lack of vote, if you're still convinced of the murderer than you can collaborate with your fellow townspeople and murder them. It's a story, not just a game, so don't be afraid to veer off the course of gameplay. Not only that, but occasionally I'll drop hints about the identities of people... and some of them might just be red herrings or false flags! Who knows how this story will play out, but I hope you're excited as I am to see it happen!

Rules
-Everybody's a person. No superhuman powers or non-human forms, please! Died hair/weird but realistic body modifications/things that are rare but totally a real thing are allowed.
-Everybody's a person. Please be nice! If you get in a disagreement with another player about what happens in, say, a fight scene, come to me and ask before you get mad at them. Be respectful and remember that you don't always win.
-Everybody's their own person. No controlling other peoples' characters, whether that be in a fight scene, dialogue-wise, or some other way.
-Try to check in with relative frequency. I know you probably have school or work, but it would be very appreciated if you could write at least once a day.
-Have fun! Tell me what I can do to make this experience better for everybody, and if I make a bad decision, tell me!

Character form (you can submit one and are encouraged to submit two):
Name:
Physical Description:
Personality:
Occupation: (you don't have to fill this out, but what do the townspeople know about what you do? keep personality into account- a standoffish person is more of a mystery than a really open one)
Hobbies: (same as above)
Other:

Female
1,589 posts

flowerlynx • 14 March 2017 at 1:11 AM

@probablyalizard
Reserve a spot for me! I'll put up a form once I get up, next morning. 😸

9 posts

probablyalizard • 14 March 2017 at 1:20 AM

@flowerlynx

I'll keep it open! 😊

Name: Jonathan Marina (goes by John)
Physical Description: A man cursed by the gods of genetic disposition. Below average height, balding prematurely (he just shaves his head to avoid it), minor scoliosis has him perpetually bent forward somewhat, scratchy, quiet voice, yellowing teeth and visibly overweight (he tries really hard but he just has bad genes). He has chronic back problems and is always in some degree of pain. Caucasian with mouse brown eyes. Wears slacks and button-ups- often blue, his favorite color.
Personality: Kind and patient, but kind of forgetful and tends to zone out. He probably likes you, but a childhood spent being the fat kid has taught him to keep his mouth shut. Friendly, but shy. Chronic pain means that sometimes he snaps without meaning to and then feels really bad about it later.
Occupation: Previously a marine biologist, but he developed a heart condition that grounded him 5 years ago. He now has to stay in an area with a hospital. Now he's a clerk at the town hall. He really misses his old job.
Hobbies: He keeps fish. He lives in a small apartment for his income, because he really really loves fish and cares more about keeping them well-cared for than having a bigger apartment.
Other: He's thinking about getting a cat but is worried it'd try to eat the fish, and he really likes spicy food.

Name: Alex Dohns (pronounced like bones, but dones)
Physical Description: Skin and bones, around 5'10". Ambiguously brown, won't tell you anything else about it. They have a ragged dark brown buzz cut that hasn't been trimmed in a while. Really deep brown eyes with huge bags under them. Always wears a dark red hoodie two sizes too big for them and jeans with huge holes in the knees, also too big, held on by a belt falling apart from use. Combat boots. Always carries an old camo backpack around, probably to hold spray paint and other tools of delinquency.
Personality: Suspicious. That's it, that's their personality. Can be won over with free food, but it's not a fast process, and they'll probably assume it's poisoned. Confrontational.
Occupation: Delinquency (also works part time at the local 7/11)
Hobbies: Delinquency (also conspiracy theories. Their little shack on the outskirts of town is filled with cork-board and red string)
Other: They really want a pet but recognize they don't have the means to care for one. Settles for petting any dog they can get their hands on (as long as no one is looking. They've got a reputation to uphold)