Not Sure If This Is Covered In Rules/Guidelines

in Help & Questions

Gender Fluid
1,075 posts

thebrokenvibe • 22 March 2017 at 11:05 PM

But is there any rule against someone literally stealing and simply recoloring characters you use in RP? Like they kept everything in the same stretch of relation to my own characters, but simply changed the colors to my characters.

I've blocked them, but I stumbled onto one of their posts while examining a potential RP, and they literally were using my characters that they changed the colors on.

I just want to know if this is against the rules before I report them.

Female
1,589 posts

flowerlynx • 22 March 2017 at 11:16 PM

@thebrokenvibe
Hmmmm.... that would count as stealing your idea(s).

Female
1,105 posts

icesparkle22 • 23 March 2017 at 12:05 AM

@thebrokenvibe

this would count as plagiarism- IF, they are taking credit for the work. Ask yourself these questions:

-Are they giving you credit?
-Are they claiming it for themselves?
-Have they asked you for permission?
-Are they making other major changes except recoloring?
-Have you told them to stop?

If the answers are no, this is pure plagiarism. Report and block the user.

Gender Fluid
1,075 posts

thebrokenvibe • 23 March 2017 at 12:39 AM

@icesparkle22 I blocked them after I found out, so I never got to ask them to stop. And as far as I can tell it's a no to the other questions. Although they are RPing as the characters they recolored if that counts as claiming for themselves.

At this point I might wait for a mod to respond just to be sure cos I don't want to report someone for something that isn't breaking the rules by their views.

@flowerlynx I thought as much, but as I said above I might just wait to see if any mod has input on this before I report them.

EDIT:
So I've unblocked them and Pmed them about the situation. As I've just now dine that at 1:43 ECT I haven't gotten a response back. But I just wanted to make it known that I'm gonna try and work out the issue here before things get too messy.

Female
1,589 posts

flowerlynx • 23 March 2017 at 12:22 PM

@thebrokenvibe
Good idea. And, what @icesparkle22 said, it's true. As long as they credit you, and ask your permission, then it's okay. If they haven't, then a Mod should be told.

Gender Fluid
1,075 posts

thebrokenvibe • 23 March 2017 at 10:51 PM

@flowerlynx The thing is they didn't ask permission.

I decided to just check their posts, to see how far these similarities go. And they've added in a single different relation that mine didn't have. But they also had these characters, without the relations or storylines that match mine, for at most 6 months before I took notice. So I'm thinking that I might have possible acted too rashly?

But regardless I'm hoping to clear everything up once they respond to my PM, I'm hoping. I did at least tell them that I'm probably thinking on it too much. But I just want to figure out why their stories are so similar.