Knitting

in Chit-Chat

52 posts

femme_gauche • 12 April 2011 at 1:53 AM

I'm sure it won't get too much interest, but I thought I would put up a thread for it anyway. I spend a lot of my free time (not spent on the computer) knitting, and though I haven't made much "of consequence", and many of my projects are "works-in-progress" , I LOVE knitting. I was just curious if anyone else here does it, or has tried, or would like to learn. I learned myself from the internet, video tutorials are a wonderful resource. There are hundreds! And I'm sure that's just the tip of the iceburg...

An ancient craft, dating in a primitive version back to the time of vikings, and one which was predominantly a man's craft up until the industrial revolution, when clothing was manufactured and it became mainly a leisure activity. It can be surprisingly fun, and it is most definitely not just for "little old ladies" (though of course there are plenty of those, too!).

Female
4,319 posts

redfire77 • 12 April 2011 at 1:59 AM

@femme_gauche hey! i knit too! i started a couple years ago, but then i forgot :/ so then I asked my grandma and she taught me how! I just started again today! 😃 I've made a beanie, adn currently im working on a scarf with this REALLY awesome string/thread/yarn/whatever you call it. its a thin strand of fuzzy white twirled with rainbow string and every 6 inches or so it changes colors and when it does, there are these big bumps of string in the color. I've just started and I've messed up a lot but the string is so crazy it covers it up!

52 posts

femme_gauche • 12 April 2011 at 2:13 AM

@redfire77 How fortuitous! That sounds awesome 😃. And fumbling along can be frustrating, but sometimes it just forces you to slow down and have a bit of patience... just let the yarn do the work, so to speak.

Most of the yarn I have is mismatched, different-brand acrylics, while some of it is from unraveled thrift store sweaters... that's really fun, actually, if you know what to look for. The next thing I'd like to learn, though, is spinning...