Could someone explain--

in Chit-Chat

Female
241 posts

wolf-obsessor • 27 May 2011 at 1:09 AM

Would someone please explain Role Playing to me? 😃
I'm interested in trying it out, but I don't really under the rules / idea of it just yet.

Since I've never actually done one or participated in one, I'm not sure what to do. I understand the fact that there is a plot, you create a character based on what the creator gives you, and then you act out the story / plot. But is there more to it than that? Are there any specific rules to follow other than wait your turn?

If someone could explain this to me in detail I'd appreciate it 😃

9,386 posts

smilies • 27 May 2011 at 1:16 AM

@wolf-obsessor that's pretty much it. Just don't be a control freak or god-mod 😋 And be creative 😊 Then just have fun! 😉 Give it a try 😃

Female
241 posts

wolf-obsessor • 27 May 2011 at 1:17 AM

Okay. I wasn't sure if there was more to it than that or not hehe. Thanks a ton 😃

-If anyone else has more input, please input it 😉

Female
4,319 posts

redfire77 • 27 May 2011 at 1:19 AM

@wolf-obsessor
so there are different kinds of roleplays.
theres the really simple kind that I don't really like, when you are a character and you just do this:
person1: *punches*
person2: *ducks head* hey!

so yeah....

and there's also a story type roleplay where you create some characters and basically write a story with some other people. you are allowed to control characters not your own. and you need normal spelling/grammar XD:

once upon a time there was a dog...
...the dog had a tail.

im sorry for the dumb examples 😋

and there's another kind where you make 1 character and interact with other characters to make a story, except you only control your own. kind of like the first kind, but better 😉

for an example: http://new.eggcave.com/forums/topic/1138/

the end. i might have missed some or not have described them well, but Im tired 😋

Female
241 posts

wolf-obsessor • 27 May 2011 at 1:25 AM

@redfire77; Oh thanks for the detailed information 😊
From what I've seen of RPs I kind of picked up there were different forms, but wasn't sure.

Okay. I looked over the one you gave a bit.
It's like creating a story plot, setting up your character based on what the RP creator gives you, then creating a story with others. I think I understand 😸

Maybe I'll start my own and see how it goes. Because then I can specify that I'm new to it 😃

Female
4,319 posts

redfire77 • 27 May 2011 at 1:29 AM

@wolf-obsessor oh, and smilies mentioned an important thing:
NO GOD-MODDING. it gets super annoying.

I found a good definition 😋 sorry for making you read so much.

God Modding is when someone's character has the ability to do anything without limits or boundaries. Ex: they simply cannot be harmed by any and all means other RP-ers try.

-killing or injuring a character without the player's permission.
-can't be hit and dodge all attacks or anything for this matter aimed at them.
-using other characters that other people RP with. In other words, if you do not RP as Legolas, then you cannot have Legolas do anything, without the player's permission.

The absolute worst is when they make out another character to be what they're not, just to make their own character seem superior. They make others seem weak, screaming for help, when they've made it quite clear about their advantages and strengths. This is called power-play. It?s a strain of God-Modding, but instead of just being irritating, it's offensive too.
Prime example of God Modding:

Player A: Punches Player B
Player B: Dodges attack, grabs Player A and throws him. Player A flies at Player B, who warps behind him and slashes Player A in the back.

Female
241 posts

wolf-obsessor • 27 May 2011 at 1:32 AM

@redfire77; I see.
I don't think I would do that to someone else though lol. But it's good to know if the plot is some kind of fighting plot.
And reading a lot is fine hehe.

9,386 posts

smilies • 27 May 2011 at 1:34 AM

@redfire77 Yeah xD

NEVER control someone else's charrie 😸

Female
241 posts

wolf-obsessor • 27 May 2011 at 1:37 AM

I wouldn't! It is kind of common sense, in a way.
If it isn't yours, then you can't use it, unless you've been given an okay by the owner. lol.