HELP! HERMIT CRAB EMERGENCY!!!!

in Chit-Chat

Female
216 posts

kdj • 25 June 2011 at 10:50 AM

Someone please help me:'(
My hermit crab needs help!
Please tell me whats wrong:
Yesterday, I took him out of his tank. He was acting like his normal active self. We put him on the table and he crawled around for a little bit.
Today, I woke up and peered into the tank. HE WAS ON THE SAND OUT OF HIS SHELL! I know what molting is, and this does'nt look like molting. He looks normal, but hes out of his shell and not moving! PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!! I'm only a 12 year old girl! This is stressing me out!

Female
2,773 posts

thepells4 • 25 June 2011 at 11:13 AM

@Kdj Is is still alive? 😱 And do you have any other shells in there? Or, maybe he's just dying. I had hermit crabs a few years ago, and my sister's got out of it's shell, lay down on the sand, and died. Then it's claw came off and... *shutter* But yeah, it's possible. :'(

Female
216 posts

kdj • 25 June 2011 at 11:22 AM

Let me go see if hes moving...

Female
377 posts

hvernon • 25 June 2011 at 11:26 AM

If you don't have bigger shells find somthing you can give to him to use as one until you can buy a new shell.

Female
2,773 posts

thepells4 • 25 June 2011 at 11:31 AM

@Hvernon Lol, I can imagine a hermit crab crawling around in a little baby's shoe. xD

@Kdj Yeah, jsut check on him. If he's kinda curled up and lying there with his eyes opened, that means he's dead/dying, and you probably can't help him. ☹️

Female
216 posts

kdj • 25 June 2011 at 11:36 AM

Nooooo:'(
He's laying on his back.
Barely even alive.
His legs only move a few centimeters when i poke him!!!! HE CAN'T DIE!!!! NOT YET!!!!

Female
2,773 posts

thepells4 • 25 June 2011 at 11:39 AM

@Kdj How long have you had him? 😱 Hermit crabs have short lives. And are there other shells in there? If not, try to find some QUICKLY! I don't think it'll help him, but it's worth a shot.

Female
216 posts

kdj • 25 June 2011 at 11:42 AM

There are like 4 shells in there. Well...let's see:
He lived as a classroom pet for a year. And I've had him for a year. I don't know when the teacher got him so hes at least 2 years....should i check on him again?

Female
2,773 posts

thepells4 • 25 June 2011 at 5:58 PM

@Kdj That's a long life for a hermit crab already! 😱 I'm sorry, but I think your hermit crab is dying. ☹️ Try to spend some time with him before he goes...

Female
216 posts

kdj • 25 June 2011 at 9:39 PM

Too late...i buried him about 8hours ago.... I'm *sniffles* crying right now D'X!

Female
2,061 posts

cubexline • 25 June 2011 at 9:57 PM

Im sorry your hermit crab died ☹️ I had two hamsters die on me when I was like 7 or 8 ☹️

Female
5,680 posts

trish • 25 June 2011 at 10:07 PM

My hamster died because it had no teeth. :/ I should have SO SUED PETCO. XD THEY PROMISED A HEALTH CHECK BEFORE I GOT IT. And why put him for sale if he has no teeth? :'(

Female
2,344 posts

nkiay • 25 June 2011 at 10:30 PM

@kdj
Aw I'm sorry hun, ☹️
Hermit crabs actually live quite a long time but they don't live very long in captivity unless you live down south where its warm and humid constantly, and even then they don't live very long. I had hermit crabs for the longest time. I stopped getting them, because they never lasted over a year. ☹️

@ Trish that's awful, my friend's hamster died from obesity. Its exercise wheel broke, and when it got a new one two days later it didn't fit in the wheel. I never go to petco anymore after the sold me a half dead iguana. Poor little guy was infested with mites and he had become anemic, and died a day later. They denied there was anything wrong with him. Even though I had brought him back because they had told me if he was sick they would pay to take him to the vet. And after he died i showed them the mites on him and they ignored it. Infested my entire cage too. ☹️

Female
216 posts

kdj • 25 June 2011 at 10:49 PM

@Trish that really sucks! Sorry to bring up sad moments.....☹️

Female
377 posts

hvernon • 25 June 2011 at 10:52 PM

@nikay peta is against petco search for peta petco look at the results.

@kdj sorry for your loss.

9,386 posts

smilies • 25 June 2011 at 10:53 PM

Petco sounds awful. We don't have it in Nz.

Female
216 posts

kdj • 25 June 2011 at 11:00 PM

Yeah, have you guys heard of petland? Over half the dogs kept there die within a week of being kept in the kennel. They just keep them in a tiny space in the wall...poor guys☹️

Female
666 posts

decks123456 • 25 June 2011 at 11:04 PM

*sigh* i just got a dog a few weeks ago (from pet helpers) and he takes training at petco every wednesday. we have to stab all his toys cus they dont have a single dog toy that DOESNT SQUEAK. i did buy some hermit crabs but they were fine. one died less than six months after i got it and the other lasted a good 2 years 😊

Female
216 posts

kdj • 25 June 2011 at 11:08 PM

Good for you decks!😃
But...i'm still kinda down....

Female
2,344 posts

nkiay • 28 June 2011 at 12:29 PM

@Kdj
*hug*