Trading Etiquette

in Trading & Auctions

1,247 posts

Zac • 27 November 2010 at 11:58 PM

I'm just going to talk about one of my major pet peeves in Egg Cave.

I really dislike other users when they make stipulations during the trade like, "I want my creatures back if you quit," or "Don't change their name, gender, travel, etc.."

If you are making a fair trade, the creatures that you get are rightfully yours and the creatures you gave away are rightfully theirs. I don't think there are any ifs, ands, or buts about it. =/ I understand that they are concerned about their creature dying, but, if that is the case, they shouldn't make the trade. I think it should be up to the member to trade to whom they send their creatures. I especially dislike members who demand eggs back saying, "I had him/her first but the user didn't trade them back to me like they were supposed to."

I'm pretty sure you can't get suspended from not following these "rules" but its kind of horrible when the original owner gets a bunch of other users to gang up on the trader. (Although, I can't speak from experience.)

What do you guys think? Are traders right in this situation?

Female
558 posts

telekinec • 28 November 2010 at 12:14 AM

I agree with you. When the egg is yours, it stays yours. You can do whatever you want with it 'cause it,s yours. If the other person is too scared to trade it and stop being concerned over it then she or he should keep the egg and not exchange it.

1,247 posts

Zac • 28 November 2010 at 12:16 AM

Thanks. ๐Ÿ˜Š I can sort of see others reasoning on this issue but it just seems slightly ridiculous to me. There is no way to enforce this rule, and if they are that attached to it, they shouldn't trade it.

I'm just tired of making trades only to have this posted on my wall afterwards. I mean, sure, I'll respect the wishes of others but I don't think I should have to.

Deleted • 28 November 2010 at 8:38 AM

I do agree with you, but in some cases, its a bit different, like with stealing.
Also, I can understand when people don't want you to trade or name change it. If they don't want the name changed, its probably a good name.
Changing the travel? That has never happened to me and that is ridiculous. o.o
But overall, I agree with you, Zac.

Non-binary
213 posts

kota • 28 November 2010 at 12:48 PM

I agree, Zac. That's how a fair trade works- if you like your creature that much, don't trade. No one should be forced to trade- but no weird conditions above "please take care of" should be enforced by rules.

Female
2,773 posts

thepells4 • 28 November 2010 at 2:24 PM

i agree, except one little thing. i think if the person you traded with quits, you SHOULD get the creatures back, because you never know who will get them after you. they might let the creatures die or something.

Deleted • 28 November 2010 at 2:27 PM

thepells4, yes I agree with that too.

1,247 posts

Zac • 28 November 2010 at 3:01 PM

Right, but my point is that if they are worried about that creature dying, they should not trade it; they are getting something out the trade as well, I hope.

The responsible owner would, in fact, trade the eggs back, but it should not be a requirement or even an expectation. And users who do not get eggs sent back should not expect new owners to trade just because they owned them at one point. Its not fair to the new owner and is hard, and next to impossible, to prove.

I'm enjoying the discussion, though. ๐Ÿ˜Š Its nice to know that other users share the same views as me.

Deleted • 28 November 2010 at 4:05 PM

Agreed๐Ÿ˜Š

Female
156 posts

mzlexipooh • 28 November 2010 at 5:05 PM

Ahhhh I so agree with you, I actually have something like this in my trading rules. I hate it when people act like the eggs/creatures are still theirs even after they traded it away. I don't agree with the whole, if they quit you should get it back, only the person that you traded with should make that decision, I know I would. I most likely would give the eggs to people that doesn't have any rare eggs.

Other
1,553 posts

rabbitwanter • 28 November 2010 at 6:41 PM

I totally agree ;3 Liek when somebody trades w/ meh, & i wuld want 2 trade w/ some1 else w/ teh same creature they always say "don't trade it ever and if u quit give it back" D: ahhhhhh

Female
692 posts

pendulum • 29 November 2010 at 11:47 AM

I agree with you Zac. I have had this discussion with traders that do trade with me. They tend to ask for their eggs back even when I am taking care of them. D; It's really weird. I don't like conditions on trades except for the condition of: "Take good care of this egg." Eh. People will come around.