Really need some advice.

in Chit-Chat

Female
4,530 posts

balletninja • 3 August 2011 at 11:01 PM

I can't take it, like everything I say now to my dad becomes a joke. Which is okay sometimes but times like now, it isn't.

Today my dad asked me if I wanted to do some work for their company (my mom and dad's company that is worked from home, mostly Etsy stuff), he told me he would give me $5 to look up 20 wedding planners names, addresses, phone numbers, and emails. Then he said $10 for another 20, okay well that is maybe two hours of work there. So I thought $15 was more reasonable, because it is a ton of work, and this computer can't even save. He thinks I am joking, and says,"I am not negotiating." Well this is what I would charge if I was babysitting, so it is only fair.

To combat that, he informed me he had hired a guy in to work 2.22 an hour, deeply concerning me. And he could do that instead. Apparently this is legal to be payed that much, because the guys asked for that much. My dad could care less that he is scamming him. There are more things bugging me but that will be my next post after this is solved.. :/

Female
5,680 posts

trish • 3 August 2011 at 11:05 PM

My dad has me write his e-mails and contracts for his company. =P I have to do them or else he cuts down my internet... I've done hundreds of them, and all I get is about $20 on his credit card. o. o His company wouldn't be RUNNING if I didn't write his contracts.

~My point is, I get you. 😋

Female
4,530 posts

balletninja • 3 August 2011 at 11:06 PM

@trish Ugh. Sucks.

And every time I try talking to him like an adult he shuts me down and wont listen, and just laughs, it feels hopeless to even get him to understand my simplest needs now.

Female
5,680 posts

trish • 3 August 2011 at 11:08 PM

@balletninja Well obviously your the one that should get more out of the deal. 😋

My family is strange. My dad started calling me Doodle Jump...? O. o And before that, he called me Pooh after Winnie the Pooh. My mom.....eh....I don't like her she doesn't like me. Done deal. XD

Female
4,530 posts

balletninja • 3 August 2011 at 11:11 PM

@trish You like my paradox twin? 😃

Same deal with my mom. I can have a good time with her like once in 2 months, but otherwise I can't talk to her, she loves my brother, I can't do anything about it, and that is that xD

It made me really mad today, I was brushing my hair and my dad was making fun of me to patting it down and such from the static. EVERYTHING I DO IS A JOKE D:

Female
2,773 posts

thepells4 • 3 August 2011 at 11:12 PM

@Balletninja I'm not exactly sure what situation you're in, but I definitely understand how you feel about it.

Doesn't your dad KNOW that he's scamming peoeple? Or do the people being SCAMMED know it? I can also think of a few reasons he under-pays, if you will: 1, maybe he wants to save money? :/ Or 2, maybe he kinda underestimates you? If you know he's not being fair, and you try to tell him that, but he laughs it off, maybe he thinks youcould care less about the situation (but you DO care)? If he's not listening to you, then do you think there is any other way possible to hear him out? Or maybe he just needs an adult to tell him that he's being unfair?

Sorry if this doesn't help you too much, I don't understand 100%, but I'm trying. xD

Female
5,680 posts

trish • 3 August 2011 at 11:14 PM

@balletninja This is my life's story I'm telling you. XD Doesn't know how it relates though. =P

We keep my mom around because SHE CAN COOK. XD

Female
4,530 posts

balletninja • 3 August 2011 at 11:14 PM

@thepells4 He just doesn't care you know? Like he knows he is scamming a person but he doesn't care, he is hurting my feelings, but HE DOESN'T CARE. He doesn't try and see my side, or try to comprehend what I am saying.

Female
2,773 posts

thepells4 • 3 August 2011 at 11:18 PM

@Balletninja Hmm... He just doesn't care? :/ In that case, I think he might need some sort of 'awakening', something that will get him to relize what he's doing and to actually care. What would happen if you just stopped doing the work for him for a little while? It might give him a little alert about the way he's acting...?

Female
4,530 posts

balletninja • 3 August 2011 at 11:20 PM

@thepells4 He would take away my computer, and tv, and phone, etc. Usually he kinda listens. But he just stopped, like a few days ago. I think knowing that I made this forum would even wake him up, but he might just punish me for it.

1,655 posts

chatial • 3 August 2011 at 11:22 PM

@balletninja
My dad is the same way.
He doesn't take many things I say seriously.
Especially with boys. /:
He's pretty scary to me actaully, so its hard to tell him straight up that I'm being serious.
But that's the only way.

And scamming people is bad, but better than not having a job.
My dad has been unemployed for over a year.
He would die to have a job, his unemployment is running out.
You shouldn't think harshly of your dad about the scamming until you know more about it.
Don't judge a book by its cover.

Female
2,773 posts

thepells4 • 3 August 2011 at 11:24 PM

@Balletninja Hmm... Well I'm not sure if I can help, or make this all better, but I can definitely try... I think your best option would be to get another adult to talk to him? Like, face-to-face, maybe just trying to tell him about it, and he wouldn't be able to laugh it off. I honestly have no clue what to do, all I know is you need to find SOME possible way to give him a wake-up-call, something that says, "Hey, you can't act like this, if you're being unfair. You need to really care about what you're doing."

Female
4,530 posts

balletninja • 3 August 2011 at 11:26 PM

@chatial He lives in a 3rd world country, which I guess it is good he is trying to help. But I would have never guessed my dad would spam. He is really nice around other people, but not around me lately. I would think it wouldn't be okay with him to scam a person like that, it feels kinda like Harry Potter when his dad finds out he really isn't that great. That is my simile!

1,655 posts

chatial • 3 August 2011 at 11:27 PM

@thepells4
No, do NOT get another adult to handle this.
This would offend your dad. It may affect your relationship with him.
You need to talk to him, not someone else.
That creates drama.
And then the adult could tell other people that your dad is this awful person that rips people off.
I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm afraid that would only escalate the situation.

@balletninja
Some people in third world countries need the money.
Their VERY desperate.
He may not be scamming them at all actually.

Female
2,773 posts

thepells4 • 3 August 2011 at 11:29 PM

@Chatial Sorrryyyyyy. I was just trying to help.

Female
4,530 posts

balletninja • 3 August 2011 at 11:30 PM

@chatail Yeah, it wouldn't make it better.
My dad would take it too seriously.
If I go to a neighbor, then my dad would think I need like a therapist.
And so would the adult, I can only think of one adult that would help me anyways xD
But my dad would just hate me for life D:

1,655 posts

chatial • 3 August 2011 at 11:32 PM

@thepells4
I wasn't trying to be mean at all!
I just, I don't wanna hear something horrible happening.
I'm sorry for hurting your feelings if I did.. /:

@balletninja
Be careful always when getting other people involved.
Most would rather stay out of the middle.
No one wants to be a referee.

Female
4,530 posts

balletninja • 3 August 2011 at 11:35 PM

@chatial My whole point with the 3rd world country guy is he is just as bad as the people at McDonalds.
Which I despise and he knows I do.
The guy my dad is paying could do so much better.
And it hurts my feelings that my dad is going again some of the morals I thought he understood, and would keep to him Morals and never betray them.

Deleted • 3 August 2011 at 11:36 PM

I just think you should tell him how you feel and before you say anything at all just say ask him not to laugh because your trying to be serious.

Female
4,530 posts

balletninja • 3 August 2011 at 11:37 PM

@perisikan Been there tried that, but thanks for trying to help! It means a lot 😊

1,655 posts

chatial • 3 August 2011 at 11:38 PM

@balletninja
Remember, your still young. (I think)
So am I. But I've been through a lot of things most adults haven't.
The world can be very cruel.
The economy is bad.
People do desperate things.
He may not have a choice.
He'd pay you more because he'd have to anyways. Your his daughter.
The other person is probably not stupid.
He would not take a job that only paid $2 if he didn't have to.

Deleted • 3 August 2011 at 11:38 PM

@balletninja your welcome and good luck!

Female
4,530 posts

balletninja • 3 August 2011 at 11:45 PM

@chatial I don't actually think he gets it 0.0
But yeah, I just wish my dad would pay him more than McDonalds pays their employees who cook ($5 an hour average)
Because that guy is probably coding his butt off and working hard. He has more skill than the people in Mcdonalds and my dad is paying him less.

1,655 posts

chatial • 3 August 2011 at 11:48 PM

@balletninja
Confront your dad that this is bothering you.
Ask him his motives.
See his point of view.
It will help.

Female
4,530 posts

balletninja • 3 August 2011 at 11:50 PM

@chatial Just did, he didn't even bother to turn around in his chair.
When I told him that I was REALLY upset, he didn't care. *headdesk*
I don't want to be that annoying teenage rebel (I am not I have all A's and am kinda a prep)
but at this point I want to get my license and get out of the house.

1,655 posts

chatial • 3 August 2011 at 11:50 PM

@balletninja
Is he busy?

Female
4,530 posts

balletninja • 3 August 2011 at 11:51 PM

@chatial Not really. just sitting there looking at Reddit.com.

1,655 posts

chatial • 3 August 2011 at 11:52 PM

@balletninja
... Would I make you happy if I helped you hatch Alaura? |D

Female
4,530 posts

balletninja • 3 August 2011 at 11:53 PM

@chatial Just avoiding him at this point, and yeah, it would but only to the first stage xD

1,655 posts

chatial • 3 August 2011 at 11:54 PM

@balletninja
I'm on it.