Names and languages

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Female
88 posts

caylith • 7 June 2017 at 3:39 PM

Hi,
I have an idea concerning the names of pets and accounts and so on. We are an international community here, most of us contacts nicely, using English more or less fluently but still we are able to understand each other. However, due to the fact that once taken name for the pet cannot be used again we may face the fact in the future that the pets will have completely stupid names created of random letters, not meaning anything.
However I have an idea how to widen the range of names letting them be unusual and have meaning.
How about making visible the special signs coming from other languages like old norse (or German), Chinese, old celtic? They are called umlauts, I think. It is the spots or a little lines above a,e,o and so on, which mainly mean the way of accenting the letter.
Now, I am not sure if it is only my computer, but I already named this way one of my creatures: Róisin. Umlaut is there - that short slash above "o", but on the creatures name it is not visible showing some strange thing. Check it out:

https://eggcave.com/egg/2063901

If it is only me - sorry for taking your time;)
But if umlauts are not allowed, maybe making it visible and allow for the special signs from other languages made our beauties more special they already are?

Male
1,991 posts

Ian • 12 June 2017 at 4:29 PM

@caylith hi there! Thanks for writing in about this. Special characters with accents, at the moment, are allowed in Egg Cave names.

The reason these special characters show up as glitched on creature images is because the pixel font typeset does not contain a character for that special character. In other words, if there isn't a character equivalent for the character ó with an accent, it appears as glitched.

This is mostly due to the fact that older pixel fonts weren't created with international compatibility. And today, many pixel fonts are no longer being developed or updated.

In any case, I will continue to think about a fix for this. But please know that if you do use special characters, they will glitch out in the image but appear properly in other areas (i.e. the text on the web page). For now, special characters are allowed.

I hope that helps and answers your questions. If you have any other questions, please let me know. I'm happy to help.