Guide to Creating a Creature Idea!

in General

Pangender
2,149 posts

sky • 25 September 2011 at 1:37 AM

Want to know how to create a good creature idea? You've come to the right place!

Creating a creature idea can be hard but also simple. It all takes creativity, even if you aren't artistic and creative, try your best! It's always great to see others ideas and creations!

When creating a creature you want to start off on thinking about what your main focus would be.
Would it be spooky? Cute? Crazy? Beautiful? It's all up to you! Make sure to take a look in the archives for examples, you want to make sure that what you're designing would fit in to the Egg Cave style.

Another good thing is to have is inspiration, what inspires you? Music? Books? Movies? It's always good to add in some inspiration to your works! Not only that, but what kind of creature would it be? Water? Fire? Earth? Air? Any other element I forgot?

Now, what would you like your creature to look like, looking at all the other creatures they're usually based on real life animals, no need to be 'original', choose whatever animal you'd like as a base, or be imaginative and create your own base.

Now for the pose, you don't want the creature looking dull, having them being in all the same pose and emotion could be boring (no offence), be creative! Try looking at different animal images and their poses to see what would fit best,
make sure that when creating stages that they aren't similar to each other.

#Sky

Gender Fluid
297 posts

fate • 25 September 2011 at 1:37 AM

After you have everything sketched out, it's time to color them in! You want the colors to fit the creature best, so try to expirement with them! If you're afraid of messing up with the coloring it's always good to scan your image on the computer, that way you can use GIMP or Paint Tool SAI to color them in, you can do that by opening a new layer to the image, make sure the new layer is below the image, and make sure that the top image is on the mode, 'Multply' that way the colors are eligible to show through, don't worrie about details too much.

Now that you've completed the design, what would the name be? Try messing around with the name a bit and see what would fit best.

After you're done with naming them, why not add a description to them? Make a short story about their history? Do they have powers, what are they? What do they do? What's their surroundings? etc.

Now your creature idea is completed! Why not head off into the forums Suggestions and Ideas and share with us? No need to fret, I'm sure we'd love to see what you've come up with.

Hope this guide helped out in some way!

4,672 posts

icymuffin • 25 September 2011 at 1:41 AM

Mm~ May I suggest making sure that each stage of the creature doesn't look almost the same? ^^

But this is pretty good :]

Pangender
2,149 posts

sky • 25 September 2011 at 1:43 AM

@Icymuffin - Mhm, I'll add that in! Thank you! 😊

Female
2,578 posts

sotheavey • 25 September 2011 at 1:50 AM

@sky
This guide should really help me when I draw my christsma idea. Thanks! I have both GIMP & Paint Tool SAI but I have difficulty like really drawing on both D: I use GIMP for graphics & animation and stuff and SAI for sketches but I can't really "draw" on either e.o Any tips?

Pangender
2,149 posts

sky • 25 September 2011 at 1:54 AM

@Sotheavey - Hmm, do you have a printer so you can scan? You can try tracing the outline of it, if you have trouble with lines and such like I do, I use the curve tool in Paint Tool SAI. You can use the curve tool by clicking on the 'New Linework Layer' which should be beside the 'New Layer' button.

Also, do you use a tablet?

Or, can you not actually draw in the programs?

o__o

EDIT: Also forgot to mention you can edit the lines by clicking the CTRL button.

Female
6,833 posts

whitefall • 25 September 2011 at 10:08 AM

Bump! :]

Pangender
2,149 posts

sky • 25 September 2011 at 1:34 PM

Bump! 😊

Gender Fluid
297 posts

fate • 25 September 2011 at 8:48 PM

Bump! 😊