Forget-Me-Not ~ Always Open

in Roleplaying

Female
53 posts

apple_dumpling • 27 December 2019 at 7:34 PM

This roleplay was not intentionally supposed to compare to Mazerunner so much, I've never even seen or read it, it just kinda happened. Great minds think alike, right? 😋

The crunching of leaves wake you. You sit up, rubbing your eyes, and immediately realize something's very wrong. You have no memories of who you are, or how you got here. Everything's shades of black, white, silver, and gray. Trees surround you as far as the can see, forming a thick canopy overhead. Wondering where you are, you attempt to stand up, only to freeze when you hear a rustling in the bushes nearby. For a frightening few long moments, you wait, and you keep waiting. Something's moving. Your heart thumps in your chest as you try to see through the leaves what might be approaching. You're starting to fear for your life when a woman steps out of the tall shrubbery, shaking a bundle of leaves off her foot. You're not sure whether you should calm yourself or not, and drop into a defensive backwards-table pose that seemed better in your head. The woman looks at you and pauses for a moment, then sighs and walks toward you. You're about to crawl away, but, to your surprise, she reaches out a hand to help you up. Hesitantly you flop down and grab her hand. She pulls you up and, after looking you up and down for a quick moment, asks, "You new here, kid?" You don't acknowledge her words for a moment, but after you've had the time to process it, you simply nod. "Well, then..." The woman shakes your hand, which you only now realize she's still holding and draw away. She doesn't take notice. "Welcome to Forget-Me-Not."

For the past three years random people have been showing up in a forest with no recollection of who they were, who they knew, or how they got there--hence the inhabitant-given name "Forget-Me-Not." Everything in the forest is monotone, and something has turned the vision of everyone who appears in it into shades of black, white, and gray. A thick canopy blocks out any view of the sky, and, in some areas, it thins out just enough for sunlight to sparsely shine through--the only thing in color are the yellowish-golden beams of sunlight. Poisonous plants and murderous creatures cover the forest, claiming the lives for many. Traveling outside the forest isn't possible, as far as the people are concerned. Several have tried, but none have found an end to the forest.

Each night they dream, a "prophecy" repeats in their mind. "One day they will come. The one who saves the lost (due to this, the people who appear in Forget-Me-Not are commonly called "The Lost") from their curse. The one who will free the forest." For this, they wait. They find their sanctuary and they wait it out. Day by day; week by week; month by month; they wait. They wait for the person who will one day come to save them. They wait for their Savior.

Fauna, Flora, & Common Areas

Fauna in the forest doesn't include your normal forested creatures. I'm not going to make a list, but if you find a mythological creature you like (Greek, Roman, Norse, Native American, whatever), feel free to add it to your character's adventures! The only off-limits creatures are overly-sized ones, such as dragons or hydras, ones that you could see coming from a mile away. A good-sized one would be a griffon or a chimera.

As aforementioned, there are l o t s of poisonous plants in Forget-Me-Not--including, believe it or not, forget-me-nots! *Jazz hands* Though there are plenty of other plants, the specifics were are basing on are the poisonous, as listed here:

Take note that, due to this flora, it's been speculated that Forget-Me-Not is somewhere in North America, particularly a deciduous area due to the mixture of leaf-shedding and coniferous trees.

Name: Water Hemlock/Poison Hemlock
Description: Green or white flowers with petals in umbrella-shaped clusters, often confused with parsley. Roots look swollen in size; large and thick.
How to recognize: Smells like parsnip, flowers look like parsley, and roots are large and thick.
Usage: Eaten
Side effects: Convulsions, abdominal cramps, nausea, foaming, paralysis. Normally leads to death within hours. The few who survive after consumption of hemlock suffer from terminal amnesia and/or tremors.

Name: Nightshade
Description: A small shrub with bell-shaped flowers tinged with purple, green leaves and stems, and shiny berries that turn black when ripe, and are the size of cherries.
How to recognize: The plant smells bitter, and the berries often smell like unripened tomatoes. The flowers are like small bell flowers. The berries are a dark black--though some can't discern the shade from many others. The berries are, as quoted by a character of mine, "devilishly sweet." Touching the leaves causes itching.
Location: Moist, shady places. Often found beneath the willows in Weeping Marsh, but can be found anywhere in the forest leeching off of the roots of trees. Not common, and is noted to be an invasive species native to Eurasia.
Usage: 2 - 4 consumed berries kill children, 10 - 20 consumed berries kill adults.
Side effects: Paralysis of involuntary muscles; this includes the heart.

Name: White Snakeroot
Description: Perennial herb with flat-topped clusters of small white flowers. Sometimes confused with yarrow by newer Losts.
How to recognize: The flowers are tiny and fuzzy, almost like cotton balls.
Location: Grows hidden among thickets growing in spots where the canopy thins slightly.
Usage: Eaten, directly or indirectly; one is more commonly poisoned by white snakeroot by eating the meat of a creature who had eaten the plant.
Side effects: Loss of appetite, nausea, weakness, abdominal pain, reddened tongue. Eventually leads to death.

Name: Oleander
Description: Plants with beautiful pink, white, red, or yellow, delicate flowers.
How to recognize: Flowers are five-petaled and the buds are long. The smell of oleander is very strong. Luckily not many are tempted to eat oleander, since it's such a beautiful plant and it has a bitter taste, even if you tried it.
Location: Can be found anywhere in Forget-Me-Not, especially in areas where the canopy thins.
Usage: Eaten, directly or indirectly; one is more commonly poisoned by oleander by eating the meat of a creature who had eaten the plant.
Side effects: Vomiting, erratic pulse, seizing. Leads to either a fatal coma or a quick death.

Name: Holly berries
Description: Grows on bushes with sharp, spiny leaves. The berries are tiny and red.
How to recognize: The prickly leaves of the holly bush should be enough to keep Losts away, but holly can also be recognized by the size of the berries.
Location: Very common, the bushes can be found in large groups anywhere in Forget-Me-Not except Weeping Marsh and the meadow.
Usage: Holly berries consumed can kill a child, the lethal dosage unknown, however it isn't lethal to adults.
Side effects: Vomiting, dehydration, drowsiness. Can kill a child if two or more berries are swallowed.

Name: Yew berries
Description: Grows on dark, spindly-leaved bushes. The berries are red and partially open at the top.
How to recognize: The leaves are unique, like thin pine leaves, which hints at the species of the bush. The berries are also partially-open to show the deadly seeds inside, which is a good warning if the Broken knows what it means.
Location: Can be found anywhere in Forget-Me-Not. Noted that it's an invasive species.
Usage: 2 -3 yew berries (or, really, seeds) consumed can kill a person within minutes.
Side effects: Foaming, seizing. Will lead to a quick death.

Name: Foxglove seeds
Description: The tiny black seeds can be shaken from the inside of the flower, which is purple and bell-shaped, and covers a long stalk.
How to recognize: Foxglove is very easily recognizable due to its unique look, and, though the plant is beautiful, it's commonly known to be a dangerous and lethal plant due to its seeds.
Usage: Consumption of the seeds slows the heart. In bad cases of rapid heart palpitation they have been used to calm the heart and patients who have used these seeds have survived when their heart was beating fast enough--but if it isn't, the seeds will cause the heart to stop.
Side effects: Slows or even stops the heart.

Name: Meadow saffron/autumn crocus
Description: The plant has thick stems and pretty purple or pink flowers.
How to recognize: Meadow saffron isn't the easiest poisonous plant to recognize. The only features distinctive enough to tell it apart from other plants are its thick stem and the size of its flowers.
Usage: Consumption can kill a creature, but is harmless to humans.
Side effects: Oral irritation, vomiting blood, shock.

Name: Poison oak
Description: Poison oak is a low-growing ivy plant named after its leaves' resemblance to oak leaves.
How to recognize: The leaves of poison oak often come in groups of three, which is a universally-known way to identify the plant among others.
Usage: Physical contact with the plant causes skin irritations that form itchy rashes.
Side effects: Rashes, itches.

Name: Poison ivy
Description: Poison ivy is a low-growing ivy plant that grows upright on thin wooden stalks.
How to recognize: The leaves of poison ivy often come in groups of three, which is a universally-known way to identify the plant among others.
Usage: Physical contact with the plant causes skin irritations that form itchy rashes.
Side effects: Rashes, itches.

Other than poisonous plants not listed here, feel free to add depictions of your characters eating any fruits and berries, or foraging other lovely flowers, whatever is realistic to the forest, marsh, and meadow of Forget-Me-Not.

Common areas in Forget-Me-Not include ~

Weeping Marsh -
Weeping Marsh is a marsh in southern Forget-Me-Not full of weeping willows that block out the sky as the other trees do. The water is murky, but can be purified for drinking by boiling it in a basket over a campfire. It's not the only source of water, but the most common one, as the rivers aren't mapped out due to them being a "matter of insignificance" among the Losts, since it's the largest source of water and 2/3 of the groups are nomadic, so that's what they pay attention to. Often, Losts will weave baskets and fish in the marsh, but they must be cooked meticulously to clean off any contaminated water--still, it's the easiest way to get food in Forget-Me-Not.

Beauty Meadow ~
Beauty Meadow is a dip in the ground that expands for a mile long and a mile wide in eastern Forget-Me-Not. It's covered with lush growth of flowers and bushes, and even contains the only "normal" creatures, such as rabbits and deer, but even then, the creatures are sparse. Still, Beautiful is a beautiful place for the Losts to go, and The Gliders can often be found around the meadow.

The cabin ~
The cabin, a mysteriously pre-built log house in western Forget-Me-Not, is the home of the only sedentary group in Forget-Me-Not, The Civils. Though only a select group actually live in the cabin and others set up fur-tents around it, the cabin is considered the main residence. Surrounding the cabin is a large river teeming with fish and lovely-tasting fresh water. The Civils are kind to those who wish to fish or collect water on the left side of the river, but anyone who crosses the river is counted an intruder, and swiftly removed. Many people of The Raiders have attempted to steal from the cabin when everyone's out hunting, so in response guards have been posted to patrol the cabin in shifts for the past year.

The Dark Caves ~
The Dark Caves are a large system of caves in northern Forget-Me-Not, a common temporary home to both the nomadic groups. It has many entrances and is dark and damp, hence their name. Though it is a convenient camp during storms, several creatures make their home in it, and search for Losts the minute they recognize their scent.

The tunnels ~
The tunnels are a vast system of tunnels that spread through the heart of Forget-Me-Not to The Dark Caves, the cabin, Beauty Meadow, and Weeping Marsh. They're conveniently used by The Raiders and sometimes, though not often, The Gliders, to get from place to place. Strangely, no-one's claimed to have dug the tunnels, the fact of which sends a cold shiver down a Lost's spine.

The Heart ~
The Heart of Forget-Me-Not is a small clearing in the very center of Forget-Me-Not, where new Losts appear. This site is visited often whenever a group is in need of new recruits.

Groups

There are three groups, known as The Civils, The Gliders, and The Raiders. Though some Losts can and do survive on their own, not many do, as it's much more difficult and makes you an easier target. Information on the three groups is listed here:

The Civils ~
The Civils are known for their advanced civilization compared to the other two groups. They're the only sedentary group, and, as aforementioned, live in the cabin. They gather fresh water and fish by the river, but when larger food is needed, they'll go out hunting, leaving up to five people at the cabin to keep guard. They use hand-crafted bows and arrows and axes to hunt, and rotisserie their food over a campfire. They're quite civil to the other groups, but will attack if necessary. Their knowledge of Forget-Me-Not is also the most advanced, due to their leader being the very first Lost to appear in Forget-Me-Not, and many others following close behind. They're the only group who makes maps and still has a system of writing using mud that they'd later leave out to dry.

The Gliders ~
The Gliders are a nomadic group known for their timid nature. They're easily threatened and always on guard, and though they only attack in defense, they're quick to do so. They're often found in Weeping Marsh, Beauty Meadow, or The Dark Caves, but do travel elsewhere. They primarily fish and sometimes will hunt the rabbits and deer living in Beauty Meadow. They don't stay in one place for long in fear someone or something will find them, so they often don't cook their meals unless necessary. They do pick berries, but due to their lack of color definition, many have been poisoned eating them.

The Raiders ~
The Raiders are a nomadic group known for their aggressive and thieving nature. They pillage the other groups' hunting parties or lonesome Losts and ransack the quickly-departed camps of The Gliders. They've made multiple attempts to rob The Civils' cabin, but so far each has backfired. They live primarily off the food stolen from others, but will hunt if need be, with clubs, spears, and torches. They're often found around the Weeping Marsh, The Dark Caves, or in the tunnels.

Rules
1. Have fun!
2. You can have up to 10 characters. (I would advise you don't reach this limit until later in the roleplay, you'll see why—though I doubt most people will)
3. No perfect characters (Mary Sues/Gary Stus)
4. If you've read everything, including all the rules, add the first letter of your first name to your "Other" section.
5. No godmodding or powerplaying. (This rule may be slightly altered as the roleplay progresses)
6. Don't kill another person's characters without permission.
7. Follow EggCave rules, of course!
8. No exact copies of characters.
9. Please use proper English grammar. Don't abbreviate.
10. Each post must include at least 3 sentences. (I see a lot of people typing only a sentence per post in roleplays, and honestly, I don't mean to offend anyone, but I find that quite boring, and it gives the story a lack of discerning details. I dunno, guess I'm a stickler for old protocol, I haven't roleplayed in a while 😋)

Form
Sections with an asterisk (*) beside them are optional

Name: What's your character's new name in Forget-Me-Not?
Time in Forget-Me-Not: How long has your character been in Forget-Me-Not?
Group: Are they a Civil, a Glider, a Raider, or maybe they're living it out on their own?
Appearance/Image: What does your character look like? (Images must be in black and white, and descriptions can't include colors 😉 - If it's art and it's not yours, credit the original artist, and if it's photography that doesn't belong to you, credit the person in the picture or the company the picture belongs to)
Personality: Insert your character's personality features; their strengths, their flaws, what makes them tick, what do they like? What are they like; kind or rude, optimistic or pessimistic, strong or weak, intelligent or... not?
*Affiliations: People they've met in Forget-Me-Not, as well as their relationship with them.
*Reputation: How are they liked among others? Rank it from 1 - 10, 1 being the lowest, 10 being the highest. Newcomers are at 1 until they've proved themselves.
Other:

My Forms

Name: Eva ("Forever")

Time in Forget-Me-Not: 3 years

Group: The Civils

Appearance/Image: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d4/01/64/d401642e16af76ebcbd48315d25dd468.jpg (Alycia Debnam-Carey)

Personality: Eva's intelligent, skillful, and resourceful. She claims to be the very first Lost to appear in Forget-Me-Not, she drew the first map, and she formed the first group, The Civils, and she officiates most any gathering or deal between two or more groups. She has first-hand experience that has made her proficient with leading her people and knows Forget-Me-Not better than anyone. If someone needs something, especially advice, they go to her. There are even rumors that she has spies employed in the other two groups to give her information on their whereabouts, and that's how she and the majority of her group had survived for so long, but she's never confirmed, nor denied this. She has tall walls built up around her, and doesn't let many close to her, "for her own protection," as she claims. She's watched several come and go in Forget-Me-Not, and becomes harsh at the mention of her past, in Forget-Me-Not or not.

Affiliations: River ~ Best friend | Rain ~ Friend | Black Jay ~ Friend | Stalker ~ Enemy | Lotus ~ Friend

Other: E

Name: River

Time in Forget-Me-Not: 1 & 1/2 years

Appearance/Image: https://img4.goodfon.com/wallpaper/nbig/d/fd/nadia-hilker-luna-nadia-the-100-allegiant.jpg (Nadia Hilker)

Personality: River's kind and thoughtful. She puts everyone else first and hardly sets aside the time to think of herself. She has a motherly aura around her, and fills that figure in Rain and Black Jay's lives. She doesn't let herself wallow and she doesn't show regret; she moves on swiftly and carries on after each event as if it never happened, all to protect her emotions from being shown on the outside, to protect the emotions of others. Her love shows and spreads to everyone, whether they like it or not.

Affiliations: Eva ~ Best Friend | Rain ~ Daughterly figure | Black Jay ~ Son-like figure

Name: Rain

Time in Forget-Me-Not: 1 year

Appearance/Image: https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/portrait-pretty-teenage-girl-snowy-forest-black-white-portrait-beautiful-caucasian-teenage-girl-black-coat-sits-110696122.jpg (Dreamstime)

Personality: Rain is an adventurous, bubbly, and vibrant person. She loves being around other people and exploring Forget-Me-Not. She doesn’t worry much, and takes risks without thinking, which causes a wonder as to how she’s still alive in Forget-Me-Not. She doesn’t admit it often, but she can get quite soft and sweet. Her favorite pastime is foraging bouquets in Beauty Meadow.

Affiliations: River ~ Motherly Figure | Black Jay ~ Brotherly figure | Eva - Friend

~ More forms coming soon ~

Female
276 posts

wolfspike23 • 3 January 2020 at 6:11 PM

@apple_dumpling - Seems Interesting! May I Join?

Name: Dolphin
~~~
Time in Forget-Me-Not: Six Months
~~~
Appearance: Long, shiny, dark gray hair and light gray skin with eyes that appear as black. Dolphin has a feminine build and a Japanese facial structure. She wears a very light gray raincoat and light gray rainboots. She wears white tights with thick, black stripes on them and a gray scarf. She holds a gray umbrella with a dark gray handle.
~~~
Personality: Dolphin easily gets along with others and she is very optimistic and enthusiastic. She is very friendly and compassionate, which sometimes leads herself into trouble because of how trusting she is. Dolphin is gentle, playful and will sacrifice herself for the greater good.
~~~
Affiliations: Brooke ~ Best Friend
Other: F

---

Name: Fang
~~~
Time in Forget-Me-Not: Seven Months, Eight Days
Group: The Raiders
~~~
Appearance: Fang has short, spiky, gray hair and a light gray skin tone with naturally black eyes. He has a masculine build and although it isn't visible, he has a three-inch scar on his left forearm. He wears a fluffy hoodie that is naturally gray and black and gray jeans. He wears black sneakers as well.
~~~
Personality: Fang is an aggressive person. He goes by the saying 'Kill or be Killed'. Fang is somewhat pessimistic and negative, unless on the subject of pillaging. People call him an 'Animal' or a 'Beast' because of his animalistic nature and ways. He can't go a week without sparking some sort of fight between him or between others.
~~~
Affiliations: None

---

Name: Brooke
~~~
Time in Forget-Me-Not: Six Months, Five Days
~~~
Appearance: Brooke has long, light gray hair and pale-gray skin with naturally black eyes. She has a feminine build and often found solving a Rubik's cube that she always carries around in a small, black purse. Nobody knows how she's able to distinguish the colours though. She normally wears a gray jean jacket with gray jeans and white sneakers.
~~~
Personality: Brooke is quite intelligent and keeps Dolphin out of trouble most of the time, except she's an overprotective friend. She is defiant and adamant, and quite brave in general. She'd rather die doing something great than live and be helpless. She's independent, (With the exception of Dolphin) intelligent and brave.
~~~
Affiliations: Dolphin ~ Best Friend

Female
53 posts

apple_dumpling • 3 January 2020 at 6:24 PM

@wolfspike23

Thanks for making some forms! I’ll have to read over them later, I have dinner, then I have to shower, but I skimmed over your forms, you look all good! 😊

Cis Woman
167 posts

wolflord • 9 September 2020 at 2:55 PM

@apple_dumpling Can I join?

Name: Star

Time in Forget-Me-Not: ten month, and seven days
Group: on her own

Appearance/Image: Star has long black hair that goes to her waist has a side bang that covers the left eye. She usually has her hair in a ponytail. she has a pale-grey skin tone with the whites eyes. She has a feminine build. She usually seen with two katana sword on her back. she usually where a camo hoodie of black white and grey with camo pants and she wear no shoes. She has a black mask to cover the bottom half of her face.

Personality: She is usually silent unless it is important to speak about it. She can be optimistic at times. one of her flaws is that she is loyal that gains her trust but her trust cannot be gain backed if you brake it once. She is intelligent. She is strong. She seams rude if she doesn't know you but kind to you if she does.

*Affiliations: Moon ~ friend

Other: (What is this usually for? will edit when I know what it is)
(Moon character an the way)

Deleted • 28 September 2020 at 12:09 PM

Name: Lake
Time in Forget-Me-Not: 3 months
Group: Gliders
Appearance/Image: She has messy dark gray hair she keeps in a braid, a silver long sleeve crop-top, loose black pants and boots, a white belt and a gray jacket.
Personality: She trained herself to fight well because she likes to dance and she figures dancing and fighting go hand in hand. She's very secretive but she acts like an open book. She wants to remember her past life and the people in it. She's a sweet tooth and loves trying new things. She tries to be kind but shes not quick to trust. She's optimistic and can handle bad things better then most people think.
Other:E