Artist who did a large % of creatures pre-2013 (Tine, Mo, Tasma, Kaihon, etc)?

in Help & Questions

65 posts

cheetah • 10 March 2020 at 2:32 PM

One of my favorite things about Eggcave is the art. In particular, I really love the art style for the majority of the older creatures from back when I first started, from around 2010-2013. Examples include the Tine, Eyleymo, and Bliz. The style has a pretty distinct shading technique for fur and muscle, and most of the eggs of creatures done in that style have a distinctively thick band of reflected highlight around the bottom of the egg. I was wondering if anyone knew the artist(s) who did these creatures, and if there's a chance we'll ever see more creatures drawn by them.

Also, does anyone know the artist for the early CRW creatures (Lemac, Kitep, Flowerfur) and a few others (Reminsect comes to mind)? Their art reminds me strongly of some of the art on another petsite like this one (Goatlings). Thanks!

Female
559 posts

pwuffy • 10 March 2020 at 3:56 PM

@cheetah i believe it was @qesque who drew all of the older egg cave art in the style you're referring to 😊 they don't play anymore sadly. i would love to see more creatures by them as their style is very beautiful and unique and i assume they probably also created the designs for the creatures that weren't suggestions?

i'm not sure who drew the CRWs youre referring to although their style is very distinct as well. i think they also did the shaibun, arnmnae, and maybe a few others? although its completely possible they don't play eggcave at all ^^

65 posts

cheetah • 10 March 2020 at 5:00 PM

@pwuffy Thanks for responding! I'd love to find out what they're up to art-wise nowadays, and whether there's ever a chance of them returning. ;u;
And yep, Shaibun, Arnmnae, Pixgog, Clous, and a bunch of others. c:

Male
682 posts

decay • 10 March 2020 at 5:11 PM

@cheetah
@pwuffy

I believe there was an artist change somewhere in between those dates... 2011-2012?
I remember @betelguese explaining that an artist quit and they hired someone else who did the Shaibun, Arnmnae, Pixgog, Clous-like style which included the miniatures and that's why there's such a distinct style change (: but i'm not 100% sure honestly

Also, I know this is semi-unrelated but I kinda wish there was a list or something where Eggcave revealed their past artists and what creatures they worked on (:

Female
559 posts

pwuffy • 10 March 2020 at 5:48 PM

@decay i cant quite find the exact last creature qesque did but they were still doing EC art into 2013 (i think that may have been the last year?) and the other artist in question was making art in tandem with qesque, not one after/before the other 😱 i wish there was a way to view creatures in the archives by release date order because that would help a lot to figure it out XD

i wish there was an artist list too, even if it was on the archives pages for individual creatures or something 😃 i suppose they're probably under no obligation to since its paid work, but it would be nice if they did since i'd love to follow these artists elsewhere on social media and stuff 😊

edit: okay i looked through the site blog to try and find the last creature released that qesque drew (not that it matters i was just curious) and it does seem like it was indeed in 2013. i think it was april with the greem and koalyptus!