Only receive a notification for the first bid on your auction (+ when the auction ends)

in Site Feedback & Ideas

When you post an auction, do you find the notifications for every in-between bid useful, or just the first and last ones?

65 posts

cheetah • 22 April 2020 at 6:03 PM

I've been using the auctions more lately, and I think they're set up pretty well. I like that we get notifications when we've been outbid and when the auction is ending soon. One thing that I would change, however, is that when we create an auction, we currently receive a notification every time someone bids on it.

When you put something up for auction, an initial bid being placed and the auction ending are really the only things that deserve a notification IMO, since the first bid means 1.) the auction can no longer be cancelled early and 2.) you are now guaranteed to get whatever amount of EC the starting bid was, plus an unknown amount more. Obviously getting a notification when the auction ends and is processed as well is a good thing, because EC is added to your account (or not, if no one bid). After the first bid, it's not useful or important to know when someone has bid on your lot, because all it means for you is that the minimum bid amount (if you remember what it was) has been added to the sum you are guaranteed to receive when the auction ends. You can't act on that information in any way, and the money hasn't been added to your account yet, so it's about as useful as a notification telling you one of your (non-starred) creatures gained a single stat---sure, it's a good thing, but it's only significant when a creature becomes immortal or levels up.

It's nice that we are able to see a log of who bid on the auction, the amounts, and the timestamps, but being updated on every step in real time via our notifications doesn't benefit the auctioneer at all, and can really clog them up when the auction draws near the end and people scramble to get the last bid in.

Thoughts? Questions? Does anyone actually find those notifs useful?