Add a cool-down timer to the Oasis and Auctions.

in Site Feedback & Ideas

What's your opinion?

Female
149 posts

poserpanda • 3 October 2020 at 12:54 PM

So I think that losing an auction is highly probable. It's the whole point of an auction, to bid constantly until someone wins. I don't think however, that users should be able to bid after a certain point. This suggestion comes from a personal experience where I bid constantly on a creature, but at the very last moment, truly mere seconds away from winning the auction, I am somehow outbid by a user. The page didn't even have time to refresh, before I was given the notification that I had lost the auction. I think a cool-down timer should be added to the auctions, when there is less than five minutes left before the auction ends. Or add a cool-down to when there is less than thirty seconds left before an auction is completed. If that had been available to me, I would have at least been able to load the entire page, and seen that I was currently losing. But to have it taken away from me so close to the end, seems a bit ridiculous.

This would also work for the Oasis. Since names cannot be used more than once, oftentimes users have to compile a jumble of letters, just to name an egg that one would steal from the cave. I often go through multiple names that I like, before I am allowed to name a creature. And since other users can steal an egg from the Oasis while you are currently thinking of something other than, "klasdjflk ajdskf" to name your pet so that you can take it home to your cove, it makes the experience that much more disappointing. Especially since it is very rare that an egg even appears there. Plus, there are lots of creatures with the same name, just spelled wrong or scrambled. I just don't want to have to name it, or at the very least have a temporary name added to it, when I am trying to adopt a creature from the Oasis.

Male
2,235 posts

beta • 3 October 2020 at 2:14 PM

@poserpanda the type of bidding you’re talking about, that causes you to lose, is users are “sniping”. I personally believe that what you are suggesting would not stop auction snipers, they’d just bid a couple seconds before the bidding ended. Sniping is a valid way of winning, and as a somewhat experienced sniper myself, it’s pretty effective. I agree it can be annoying, but it is part of auctions. That’s just my opinion on the matter. Thanks for your time!

Female
149 posts

poserpanda • 3 October 2020 at 4:04 PM

I guess I just don't like that aspect of auctions. Perhaps you could think of a suggestion for me?

Non-binary
1,318 posts

raccoon • 3 October 2020 at 5:05 PM

@poserpanda

Learn to snipe or do trades instead. Sniping is always a thing in any auction ever. Every site I've been on with auctions had snipers, ebay has snipers, it's just part of auctions.

The Oasis cooldown is a neat idea. Maybe like when you get certain prize eggs during events, clicking on the egg in the oasis could pop it over to the cave instead, that way you have it and also a few minutes to pick a name.

Female
149 posts

poserpanda • 3 October 2020 at 11:01 PM

I do love that idea of egg teleporting. It would make it a lot easier, and less viable for other users to "snipe" the egg from you.
No "snipers" for me please! Maybe there could be an option for the auction sellers to turn on or off the capability to "snipe"? That way people can choose, and then it would be on the auctioneers to choose something that suited them.

Also, it isn't helpful to just say, "Git good." If you were to give that kind of advice to say; someone drawing, that would be seen as not only impolite, but also unhelpful. @raccoon

But I think instead of a timer, there could be a command put into the code of a website. When a person who hasn't been a part of the entire auction, tries to suddenly "snipe" an auction by adding a ridiculous amount of EC to the last few seconds, the website blocks their bid from being added. So, users have to be a constant part of the auction, and there can be no last-minute bids. Just straight-up, don't allow it.