[ANSWERED] Resurrecting a creature whose name was taken while it's dead

in Help & Questions

Female
1,310 posts

daisycat • 16 December 2022 at 7:43 PM

Question and possible site idea:

I stole a Pyraguin on November 5th and named them Creamsicle. They died a couple weeks ago before I got LoV on my side (which I wasn't logging into often and I was new heh). Since then, someone has taken the name.

I feel like I have my own answer to this, but what happens if I resurrect them? A randomly generated name is used instead, like the ones given to creatures awarded to your account?

Maybe there could be a period of time in which the name is held or in purgatory or something, so you don't lose the pet's name. Then once it's been a month or however long since the critter has died, the name is released for anyone to use. I think that would be fair. 😊

https://ibb.co/dJxmmz3

Female
760 posts

okami • 16 December 2022 at 9:39 PM

@daisycat

Unfortunately if the name was taken after they died, then you won't be able to get it back when resurrecting them. You'll be told that that name is already taken and prompted to enter a new name for the creature prior to resurrecting.

I definitely recommend keeping meaningful/valuable names only on immortal creatures (unless you have a LoV of course). There are users out there who do track down dying creatures with good names and wait till those creatures die to snag the name. I know from experience lol. Years ago when I went away on my unplanned long hiatus (before LoV was a thing), I had dozens of creatures with really good names die (one species name, actual names, etc). One specific user snagged up the majority of those names from my main and side, then proceeded to block my accounts so when I returned I couldn't even ask to trade for a few back (thankfully I had some old friends who noticed what was happening and immortalized the surviving creatures). That kind of stuff is completely allowed, no rules were broken, but it shows a lot about character.

I think it'd be nice if there was a grace period between creature death and the name being available. That wouldn't have helped in my case, but stuff sometimes comes up irl that pulls users away and creatures can go really quick if you don't have a LoV. :/

Female
1,310 posts

daisycat • 16 December 2022 at 10:04 PM

@bluewolf
This is all really good info, thank you Blue! 😊
It's so sad and upsetting that someone took all your names and then BLOCKED YOU TOO?! I'm so sorry. Incredibly rude... and definitely shows their character. :/ I have LoV on two accounts now, but I do think a grace period would be such a nice idea, especially for newbies too just in case. c: