Then and Now Nostagia *Remember When* Entertainment fun

in Entertainment

3,057 posts

jirachiwishmaker • 4 November 2023 at 9:41 PM

This topic is called Then and Now what do you remember way back then and what exist as of now. How do you remember the times of things that existed? My the times have changed so drastically. And all the things that have existed kids don't know about, or are unaware of such things. So to be on the nostalgic side you can recall those memories on here I will give perfect examples of things that were used back then and how it is now. It might be those fun childhood memories that you recall while growing up. It will make you laugh cause while writing this I was laughing about it too. Hopefully, by reading this it will make you laugh and smile about things, don't take things for granted they change over time and like computers they can eventually become obsolete. The point is to remember these things if you ever used them, or what do you use now? Just post whatever pops up into your mind about the old things. Like I used to have photo albums of pics now they're so obsolete, you just store then online, or on your computer.

Examples

Land lines - Everyone had their own phone number for their house, but now we all use cell phones for convenience? I think the only places that have land lines are businesses and schools of course.
Phone booths - Back then there were these things called phone booths that everyone would use to call up friends, or family while they're on the go. I don't even see these so called phone booths anymore, do you?? I think that they have literally all been destroyed, I don't even see them around parks, or places of recreation. Maybe you might find one ocassionally inside of a mall, but I think even kids have their own cell phone these days.
Cell phones - This is an upgrade to land lines and phone booths the booths may not exist, but now there are lots of cell phone towers where you can get 5G whatever that is. Also they're used for small videos, and taking pictures without a camera.
TV - Big square ones with the big tube inside they were so heavy, bulky, and hard to move around
Flat screen TV - They are bigger, flatter and much lighter and easier to move around. They are also brighter and the screen is much clearer to see things.
Movie Theaters - Altho it was the thing back then when prices for food and admission started going up more people prefer to watch movies at home with their own snacks.
Video Stores - Where you could rent movies or even video games for your game console. Blockbuster was the biggest video store chain, but it died down when Netflix was created and you could just rent the movies online, you could also rent movies off Amazon, or buy what they call bundles 3 channels for one low price a month like Amazon, Disney, and Hulu for 7.99 just an example.
TV APPS - Now there are a bunch of these apps that you can watch from online with your computer, or even with your cell phone, or tablet. Movies are more available this way without dealing with Video Stores in sight so yeah unfortunately they all closed down. You can still buy movie dvds from stores if you're willing to look thru a bunch to get what you want. Just saying it's more convenient to watch movies at home then to drive to the Movie Theatre and wait for the open times and buy tickets, and pricey food. Who wants to go thru that hassle? Definitely not me and now cable and satellite is so much more less fullfilling as they are pricy too when you can just subscribe to the apps and watch them off any device you own.
Game Consoles - They still use and sell these things, but the price for a console makes you think it's better to save up to play on a computer. Games could easily go for 50 - 60 brand new so you have to take good care of your console if you want to play them. Tho now you could easily buy games off any gamer site like Steam etc. and prices do vary depends if it's a new game, or not.

Eight track tape players - You could listen to music inside your car with this, before tapes were used.
Radios with tape players - When people listened to music on tapes. Sometimes they also came with a cd player on it too.
Cassette tapes - Little tiny tapes you could easily put into your radio for music.
CD players - When the time has switched from listening to tapes.
Ipod - LIsten to music while walking, running, or outdoors.
Tablet - Able to do things online like a computer
Laser disc players - Used to watch movies with it was like a huge disc that was like the size of a record.
Video players *VHS* - Most people used to watch their movies on videos with a video player before dvds came along.
DVDs - People would watch their movies on DVDs and upgraded to something called Blu-Ray disc.
DVD players - Came after watching videos on VHS.
Photo pictures - Taken with a Polaroid, Kodak, and other cameras.
Photo Albums - Used to store old photo pictures now they just store them online with cloud?
Photo cameras - There were plenty of these to use even disposable ones, but they started moving things to digital.
Digital cameras - After the photos existed this was an upgrade to storing pics to your computer and cloud?
Tamagotchi - Toy that was on a keychain where you could play with your little egg, feed it, and watch it grow up.
Record Players - Way back when people first started to listen to music.
Records - What you need to listen on a record player which are flat and round and bigger than a CD.

Now we move onto to TV shows, movies cartoons, and toys and what existed years ago still exist now.

My Little Pony
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Ghostbusters
Pokemon
Anime
Sesame Street
Star Trek
Star Wars
Tamagotchi
Comics
Manga
Game Consoles

Now

Anime
Manga
Comics
Superhero movies and toys
Anime movies and figurines
Virtual pets online
Game Consoles

Cleaning Supplies

Brooms and dustpans

Now

Robot dust cleaner that sweeps up everything you just need to charge it. Sometimes your pet may think it's fun to ride on it and sit on it while it cleans.

What I think may end up phasing itself out if it keeps moving forward are books and libraries

Books - You can buy in bookstores or borrow from libraries
Now you can purchase and also read books on Kindle with your tablet, or listen to audio books instead of reading them. This became more convenient when people no longer wanted to carry bulky bulks with them to read.
And therefore libraries may become obsolete as well because you can find so much information online with Google that you no longer need to look in a library.

Female
228 posts

discordia • 27 November 2023 at 4:37 AM

Remember when a bag of chips at the store was 99 cents and sodas were dirt cheap? When dollar menus still existed and when the buying power of a ten dollar bill was godly for a kid? And Voltron.. remember Voltron.