Change Linda's Dialogue - Adoption Center

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Non-binary
45 posts

lifeform42 • 19 January 2024 at 7:51 PM

Hi everyone. I am a newer player and I found one fairly large issue in the site and it is with Linda's dialogue in the adoption center. The tone is incredibly harsh and as someone who wants to use the adoption center to both give back to the community as well as keeping my own cove organized and manageable since I am fairly new, it makes it incredibly hard for me to use it.

I am wondering if it would be possible at all to make it so that Linda does not scold the player. I am incredibly sensitive and this heavily impacts my mood and discourages me from even wanting to be on this site and I wonder if any players feel in a similar manner to me.

I am fine with the rehoming fee and think it is fair and enough of a discourager in most cases, but I believe the scolding tone is frankly unnecessary and guilt-trippy.

Deleted • 20 January 2024 at 9:16 AM

Hello there! I think that was done intentionally to spread awareness / sensibility about the abandoning problem in real life (we all know on here, we're just abandoning a bunch of pixels and they actually don't even leave our coves until someone adopts them but If a kid plays and see that, they will feel bad about it and probably feel even worse If that was to happen in real life, so that's educational for them) so I think more than harsh, Linda is showing she's caring for these creatures, but I do totally see your point and I'm curious to see If something will be made? Maybe something along the line to, If you change your mind is actually a responsible thing to do to turn the pet back to an adoption center (where they will have a chance with someone else) rather than abandoning them in the streets of Ark or something.

For the time being, I suggest using the auctions - there are many users that adopt commons or other creatures, try putting a lot with your unwanted creatures and put as a title "eggs up for adoption" or "please adopt / take them", they might receive a bid and get taken by another user without the hassle of going to the adoption center. Best of luck. 😊

Cis Female
604 posts

kataclysm • 30 January 2024 at 8:08 AM

@lifeform42 I always found the adoption page to be weirdly aggressive as well. 'Creatures are for LIFE', okay... So... I'm just supposed to keep pets in my cove where they might die if I can't get a magic leaf? That's a better alternative to rehoming them through an adoption centre? The narrative is just a bit foggy.

Thankfully, overall, the adoption centre isn't a feature that gets a lot of use on EggCave. Folks have their own adoption centres (this one is my favourite) where you could provide pets for adoption without any of the guilt-tripping. Otherwise, as Sinthr suggested, using the auction house and the trade center are also much less emotionally-burdened methods of rehoming pets.

But all said and done, I agree, and think that the official site AC could do with an overhaul and a rethink. There's no need for it to be worded the way it is. (And frankly, I think it would be cool to be able to find pets there that are donated from the site itself, in a manner similar to the oasis.)