Snakes

in Chit-Chat

1,562 posts

shelby • 24 July 2011 at 4:20 PM

Hey guys.
I think you know I love snakes, so I'd like to chat about them.
If you have any questions, ask! Got a cool story to tell, tell it!

I have three snakes, currently.
One male Boa Constrictor. Sammy.
A Male and Female Florida Kingsnake. They don't have names yet, but I have ideas. They are still babies, very small.

I know a lot about snakes, so don't hesitate to ask me anything if you want to know anything.

2,250 posts

nogardragon • 24 July 2011 at 4:26 PM

I love snakes but dont have any ☚ī¸ We have tortoises that are adorable though 😊

Female
1,197 posts

snow_angel618 • 24 July 2011 at 4:30 PM

i had two snakes as class pets in 5th grade... Coral and Django and we always watched them eat, even though digesting took FOREVER... we fought over a snakeskin once!

1,562 posts

shelby • 24 July 2011 at 4:32 PM

@nogardragon
You can always admire them. Is it because your parents don't approve of them or you just don't know where to get one? If it's because you don't know where to get one, what you can do is either try and find a reptile rescue near you, find a GOOD pet store that sells them, look in the local animal adds you might have, or do some research and see if you can find a reptile show that might be coming near you.

If you go to a pet store, you should do a little research on snakes to know the signs of a healthy snake. Clear eyes, smooth skin, alert, trying to explore it's surroundings, flicking tongue, clean mouth.

If you get a snake, always clean your hands before and after you handle them. 😊

I love tortoises also, I think they're just so cute and amazing because of how long they can live.

@snow_angel618
Oh awesome! I love snake skin. I always keep it if it's a good shed. ^-^

2,250 posts

nogardragon • 24 July 2011 at 4:38 PM

Yeah I love tortoises, but this is my second. The first was weak and died a fortnight after we got her ☚ī¸ The new one is happy and healthy in the vivarium with his big friend.

Its because we are not allowed one, I suppose if you saw the amount of pets we have in our house you would agree though 😋

I think that snakes are one of the- if not the- world's most fascinating animals, I love watching documentaries of them in the wild

@shelby

1,562 posts

shelby • 24 July 2011 at 4:40 PM

@nogardragon
Awe, yeah sometimes an animal can look healthy, especially reptiles, but they're really sick.
On the bright side you were able to get another.

Yeah I have a ton of animals as well. xD

I have to agree, snakes are one of the most fascinating animals in the world. No limbs, but can eat things, climb, swim, everything.

2,250 posts

nogardragon • 24 July 2011 at 4:48 PM

@shelby
Apparently it was a weak lot of eggs, they all had got ill and died ☚ī¸ I feel really sorry for them

Don't get me wrong, snakes do scare me but not majorly. I am only scared of the large venomous ones or that are fierce. I am completely fine with the cute pet ones and the kind that you can get close to without any worry.

P.S: am I wierd for thinking crocodiles and aligators are adorable?

1,562 posts

shelby • 24 July 2011 at 4:59 PM

@nogardragon
Maybe it was something in one or both of the parents genes that caused them to be ill.

I'm not scared of snakes at all xD I actually want an Eyelash Viper. Venomous snakes and I want one. LOL
A good pet snake is a ball python, corn snake, kingsnake.

Pf you aren't weird for thinking that. I love crocs and gators xD I want to catch a gator since I live in FL I see them all the time. Not a huge one LOL

4,672 posts

icymuffin • 24 July 2011 at 5:01 PM

I luff snakes ^^
But then again... I love just about every animal >3>

I think it's funny when you ask a person if they know how to milk a snake, and they go "Whut? o_O"

2,250 posts

nogardragon • 24 July 2011 at 5:03 PM

@shelby
Yeah, I just wanna hug one but it would probably chew my arm off. BTW I live no-where near where gators are I mean the ones on national geographic 😊

Female
1,197 posts

snow_angel618 • 24 July 2011 at 5:04 PM

@icymuffin i'm goin to prove ur point right now. "Whut???" o_O

2,250 posts

nogardragon • 24 July 2011 at 5:07 PM

@snow_angel618
I'm with you "Whut???" o_O

Female
1,197 posts

snow_angel618 • 24 July 2011 at 5:08 PM

@nogardragon lol good to know that i'm not the only one who doesn't know wat milking a snake is XD

2,250 posts

nogardragon • 24 July 2011 at 5:13 PM

@snow_angel618
I am tempted to look it up but will not because I do not know whether what comes up will make me go "BLAHHHHH" in the bathroom 😋

Female
1,197 posts

snow_angel618 • 24 July 2011 at 5:15 PM

@nogardragon lol XD....ok just looked it up and it's basically getting venom from a snake

1,562 posts

shelby • 24 July 2011 at 5:17 PM

LOL
I'm guessing you mean how to milk venomous snakes?
You milk the venom out so that you can make the anti-venom. It's important for the people who do it to do it, however it's also very dangerous.

Female
1,197 posts

snow_angel618 • 24 July 2011 at 5:18 PM

@shelby yeesh...sounds difficult

2,250 posts

nogardragon • 24 July 2011 at 5:19 PM

@shelby
Ohhhhhh, I knew THAT, I thought icymuffin meant something different

1,562 posts

shelby • 24 July 2011 at 5:25 PM

I've seen them do it on TV.
I actually wouldn't mind doing something like that.
I really want to become a herpetologist. I know a lot about snakes already, so I think I'd have a slight head in the field. I read a lot and watch Animal Planet and Nat Geo Wild all the time. Once I get some money, I'm going to order some more books to read, do more studying, and then hopefully get started on that sometime.

4,672 posts

icymuffin • 24 July 2011 at 5:25 PM

Whut~! xD
And yeah. That's what I meant ^^
I like leaving out "venomous" so no smartie puts venom + milking together

Other
3,224 posts

pipkitten • 24 July 2011 at 5:26 PM

I had a pet garter snake (I think that's what it was, anyway) many years ago. His name was Snakey, and he was adorable! ❤ī¸

1,562 posts

shelby • 24 July 2011 at 5:28 PM

@icymuffin - Yeah. Then it kind of gives away what it means lol.

@pipkitten - Awesome! I love the coloration of garter snakes.

I just got some names for my kingsnakes.
The Girl is Dizzy, and my male is King.
I plan on breeding them once they are big enough. I think it takes about 2-3 years before they are breeding ready if you feed them on a regular basis.

Female
1,197 posts

snow_angel618 • 24 July 2011 at 5:32 PM

@shelby wow u have some high goals! but i bet u could do it if u love snakes that much...

2,250 posts

nogardragon • 24 July 2011 at 5:33 PM

@shelby

You could call them queen and king 😋 Thats the dumb names I would say

1,562 posts

shelby • 24 July 2011 at 5:51 PM

@snow_angel618 - Haha yeah. I believe I can do it as well, I don't think a lot of people are willing or wanting to become a herpetologist, because they're scared of snakes.

@nogardragon - LOL I thought that, but I thought it was silly xD I did choose King because he's so big even though he's small. I think he's going to be big. They are really beautiful. You should look up on google baby florida kingsnakes 😊

Female
1,197 posts

snow_angel618 • 24 July 2011 at 6:01 PM

@shelby OMG they are beautiful!

2,250 posts

nogardragon • 24 July 2011 at 6:03 PM

@shelby
They're beautiful *Tears come into eyes*

1,562 posts

shelby • 24 July 2011 at 6:47 PM

Haha, yeah. My male has some red/brown color on the black bands. It's amazing. I'll try to take some pictures. He's getting ready to shed so I may need to wait until he sheds.

2,377 posts

ladybugheart • 24 July 2011 at 6:51 PM

I love snakes too! 😊 My favorites are the Eyelash Viper and Black Momba (ooh... poison. xDD) I like vipers and such. 😋

Female
1,197 posts

snow_angel618 • 24 July 2011 at 6:54 PM

@shelby kewl! do u have a snakeskin collection? if not then you should make one 😃

@ladybugheart love ur status!