Science Quiz (CC prizes)

in User Contests & Giveaways

Deleted • 6 April 2014 at 6:22 AM

CURRENT QUIZ: CHEMISTRY

I'm hosting a science quiz here. There are CC prizes.
The person who would get all answers correct will be obliged to get a CC prize.

They can choose any one of the following:
1. Duckbeak
2. Regga
3. Tific
Along with a bonus prize of 3,000,000 🪙

Only one prize would be given out. So first come first serve. The first to answer ALL the questions correctly will get a choice of any of the following prizes + 3 million EC.

Here are the questions:
1. Why do the substances take part in chemical reaction?
2. H2S + CL2 = 2HCL + S. (hydrogen sulphire + chlorine = hydrochloric acid + sulphur) Name the substance oxidized in this reaction.
3. What is the electronic concept of redox reaction?
4. Why does the rate of rusting become fast during the rainy season?
5. Why is copper used in designing water boilers?
6. Name the compound formed when carbon dioxide is dissolved in water.
7. Name a common food preservative.
8. Why are a majority of combination reactions exothermic in nature?
9. Give an example of combination reaction which is also an example of redox reaction?
10. Why does copper become green during the rainy season?
11. What happens when hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) gets exposed to light?
12. Give three examples of natural redox reactions.
13. Why are the photographic films packed in light-proof wrappers?
14. Nowadays, the food packets prepared for army personnel are moisture-free. Why?
15. Why is precipitate formed during the double displacement reaction?
16. Why do fireflies glow at night?
17. Grapes hanging on the plants do not ferment but after these grapes are plucked from the plant, they can be fermented. Which condition is necessary for these grapes to ferment? (relating to that it did not ferment when on the plant, but it did when it was plucked).
18. Balance the following chemical equations:
(i) mercuric oxide (or mercury oxide) decomposes into mercury and oxygen by heating
(ii) Sodium reacts with sulphide to form sodium sulphate.
(iii) Calcium oxide reacts with silicon dioxide (sand) to form calcium silicate
(iv) Hydrogen peroxide decomposes into water and oxygen
19. Give the characteristic tests for the following gases:
(a) calcium dioxide
(b) sulphur dioxide
(c) oxygen
(d) hydrogen

Only limitations:
1. Answers must be sufficient
2. Answers must not be one-word.
3. Explanation required. (brief)
4. Formal explanation required.
5. Prizes will be given once all questions have been answered correctly by a single person or a group of people (they can divide it among themselves)

Female
369 posts

beckah-lula • 7 April 2014 at 4:58 AM

@frosted

1. Any substance takes part in a chemical reaction to attain a noble gas structure or because the environmental properties (pressure temperature etc) forces it to.
2. The substance oxidised in that reaction is sulphur
3. It is a reaction in which one reactant is reduced (gains an electron) and another is oxidised (it gives away an electron).
4. Water acts as a catalyst for the iron+oxygen=iron oxide reaction (rust)
5. It has a high thermal conductivity.
6. The compound formed when carbon dioxide is dissolved in water is carbonic acid.
7. A common food preservative is vinegar which inhibits or kills microorganisms that would otherwise spoil the food, because the vinegar is acidic.
8. Apart from the activation energy no other energy is needed to continue an exothermic reaction, and this means the reaction require less energy and therefore is but not as much as you common.
9. I think: sodium+chlorine=sodium ion+chloride=sodium chloride.
10. It reacts with the carbonic acid in the rain and forms copper carbonate known as verdigris, this compound is green.
11. It decomposes into water and oxygen because the bond between the two oxygen atoms is weak enough to be broken by photo energy (light).
12. Three examples:
1. 4Fe+3O2=2Fe2O3
2. C6H12O6+6O2=6CO2+6H2O
3. C+O2=CO2
13. So that the photo sensitive compounds that 'make' the photo aren't used u, making the film useless.
14. No moisture means no medium through which bacteria can use their enzymes to decompose and eat the food.
15. The new compounds formed in the double displacement reaction are not soluble in water and therefore creates precipitate.
16. As a protection mechanism, as a communication method between others in the species, and to select a suitable mate.
17. The plant does not allow yeast to ferment the grapes whilst they are still on the plant as a defensive mechanism, therefore after the grape is plucked the yeast is free to ferment the grape under anaerobic conditions.
18. Balance:
1. 2HgO=2Hg+O2
2. 2Na+S(2-)+2O2=Na2SO4
3. 2CaO+SiO2=Ca2O4Si
19. Characteristic tests:
1. Calcium dioxide doesn't exist however there is a solid of calcium peroxide, assuming you mean carbon dioxide, you would bubble the CO2 through a calcium hydroxide solution, the carbon dioxide will turn the solution a cloudy white.
2. Bubble sulphur dioxide through a dichromatic solution resulting in a colour change from orange to green.
3. A wooden splint that is glowing will be relit in a test tube where oxygen is present.
4. A lighted match will make a popping noise as the hydrogen reacts with oxygen and forms water.

Hope all these are right 😊 let me know if I got any wrong and I'll try again 😋

Deleted • 7 April 2014 at 11:22 PM

@beckah-lula
I didn't get the ping, but I just popped up here now.

Exactly correct answers.

There are scientists in this site. 😊

Please set up the lot and I'll offer any one of the three you wanted, along with the EC prize. 😊

Female
369 posts

beckah-lula • 8 April 2014 at 6:02 AM

Lot #464736

There's my lot 😊

I'm so glad they were right I doubted a few of them haha 😋 could I ask for the Regga? If that's okay of course 😊

@frosted

Deleted • 8 April 2014 at 8:03 AM

@beckah-lula
Offered, enjoy. 😊

Female
369 posts

beckah-lula • 8 April 2014 at 9:21 AM

@frosted
Thanks!😊

2,056 posts

purrclan • 8 April 2014 at 10:26 AM

@frosted
Any other sets of questions for the scientists out here?

Deleted • 8 April 2014 at 10:40 AM

@beckah-lula
You're most welcome 😊

@purrclan
They are to be coming in the near future. Genres usually are relating to either Chemistry, Physics or Biology. I feel like discovering young scientists 😃 Maybe I'll make this a regular event. 😊

2,056 posts

purrclan • 8 April 2014 at 10:45 AM

@frosted
Yay!
Question for YOU 😋: If a planet with photosynthetic life circles a class-M dwarf star, what color would the 'plants' most likely be?
😃

Deleted • 8 April 2014 at 11:01 AM

@purrclan
Hmm..
Plants would appear darker under much dimmer, redder stars that emit more infrared than visual wavelengths of light but the color could vary widely.

But since you specified Class M.. it still doesn't narrow down the question to the point. There are many types like M1 to M3 of dwarf stars... For the coolest of the red dwarfs, it is possible that the outer regions of the disk could appear to have a strong orange color but the central region may appear more yellowish-white.
But mostly, considering the main types of these M class, Plants would be mostly red yellow, or even violet in rare conditions (to be specific, the high temperature yielding dwarf stars)

2,056 posts

purrclan • 8 April 2014 at 11:02 AM

@frosted
Good job! 😋

Deleted • 8 April 2014 at 12:02 PM

@purrclan
Was it correct? 😋
I did not think so.. but it was not that specific, so I just explained almost all possibilities.

2,056 posts

purrclan • 9 April 2014 at 9:48 PM

@frosted
As far as I can tell 😊

Deleted • 10 April 2014 at 12:11 AM

@purrclan
Hmm..

Well.. I'd give out a hint that the next one would be related to Biology.. 😊 It's coming in a week or two.

682 posts

werewolf • 10 April 2014 at 5:10 AM

@frosted
are you still doing this?

Deleted • 10 April 2014 at 5:46 AM

@werewolf
The quiz is over, but more quizzes are to come in near future.

682 posts

werewolf • 10 April 2014 at 7:39 AM

ok could you ping me when you create a new one

@frosted

Deleted • 10 April 2014 at 7:41 AM

@werewolf
You really solve them?

(I don't prefer google-rs if there are anyone out there)

682 posts

werewolf • 10 April 2014 at 7:47 AM

yeah sure
@frosted

Female
438 posts

satoshi818 • 10 April 2014 at 3:52 PM

@frosted

I have a question for you. What does lithium taste like????

Deleted • 11 April 2014 at 4:47 AM

@satoshi818
Never tasted it, sorry.

Female
4,623 posts

mastergemma • 11 April 2014 at 7:18 AM

@satoshi818
Isn't lithium a drug or poison?
*googles it* Oh nope, just a corrosive and irritant but I still wouldn't try tasting it XD

Female
996 posts

nenielsen • 11 April 2014 at 10:40 PM

@frosted Is this still open? 😋 I know the answers. X)

2,056 posts

purrclan • 11 April 2014 at 11:04 PM

@nenielsen
These questions aren't, but there might be more at some point.

Female
996 posts

nenielsen • 11 April 2014 at 11:07 PM

@purrclan darn, I could've won 3 million and a csp... oh well. I hope they do another contest like this. 😃 It's fun! I'd especially like questions on zoology.

2,056 posts

purrclan • 11 April 2014 at 11:08 PM

@nenielsen
I think the next one's going to be biology. 😋

Female
996 posts

nenielsen • 12 April 2014 at 12:27 PM

@purrclan yay! 😃 When I was little, all I watched was animal planet... so I know a lot of facts from that, then I have a bunch of pets, and lastly my mother is a biology professor, so I know a lot about animals. 😋

@frosted can you ping me if you open a new contest? 😊

Deleted • 12 April 2014 at 9:12 PM

@nenielsen
@purrclan
As far as I would like to give out prizes, but from now on there would only be CSPs to win. 😊

I'm low on EC after the SARC donation. 😋

It's biology. We can talk about photosynthesis, its types etc. xD

And.. what purrclan told was right. This quiz ended. xD

263 posts

trig • 12 April 2014 at 9:41 PM

@frosted

Closed? I love me some science.

It'd be great if it were a type of monthly/bi-annual thing where different users host it.

2,056 posts

purrclan • 12 April 2014 at 10:05 PM

@frosted
Photosynthesis? Cool 😸