Science Quiz #3. CC Prizes!

in User Contests & Giveaways

Deleted • 24 May 2014 at 4:58 AM

CURRENT QUIZ: CHEMISTRY

This is the jumbo third part of the third science quiz.. which comes at random intervals! 8D A chance for all to win CC creatures. The former topics are located here and here

The prizes are:
1. Flegga and 1,422,531 🪙 (Strange amount.. eh?)
2. Frozen Moxel
3. Treelar egg

So.. here are the questions:

*presentation sound* Tada!

1. Sodium chloride is an ionic compound while hydrogen chloride is a covalent compound but both form ions in their aqueous solution, Explain how it happens.

2. Explain why aluminium is more reactive than iron yet there is less corrosion of aluminium when both are exposed to air.

3. An ore gives sulphur dioxide on treatment with the solution of a dilute acid. How will you concentrate this ore?

4. A yellow brittle element on burning produces a suffocating gas. The solution of this gas in water turns blue litmus red. Answer the following:
(i) Is the solution of gas in water acidic or basic?
(ii) Is the yellow substance a metal or non-metal?
(iii) Name the gas and the yellow brittle element.

5. Generally when metals re treated with acid, hydrogen gas is liberated but when metals are treated with nitric acid, hydrogen gas is not liberated. Why?

6. On placing a piece of zinc metal in the solution of mercuric chloride, it acquires a shining silvery surface. Why?

7. Why do magnesium ribbon starts floating in hot water?

8. Name the silicate and fluoride ore of aluminium. Mention their chemical formula.

9. Name a metal whose chloride and sulphate solutions are insoluble.

10. State whether magnesium chloride will conduct electricity or not. Give reasons.

11. Name two physical properties each of sodium and carbon in which their behavior is not as expected from their classification of metal or non-metal.

12. Name two metals whose melting points are so low that they melt when held in water.

13. Two wires of equal length - one of copper and other of magnalium have the same thickness. Which one can be used for:
(i) electrical transmission lines
(ii) electric heating devices
Give reasons for the answer.

14. Name the reducing agent in the following reaction:
3MnO2 (manganese dioxide) + 4Al (aluminum) = 3Mn (manganese) + 2Al2O3 (aluminium oxide)
State which is more reactive: Manganese or Aluminium

15. Metal sulphides occur mainly in rocks and metal hallides occur mostly in seas. Why?

16. Why does lithium tend to form ionic compounds while boron forms covalent compounds?

17. Two metals M and N are found to show the following properties:
(i) M liberates hydrogen gas (H2) when it reacts with dilute sulphuric acid whereas N does not.
(ii) Both M and N react with chlorine to form MCl2 ("M" chloride) and NCl2 ("N" chloride).
Indicate the reaction:
(a) MO + N
(b) NO + M

18. What is royal water?

19. Name two metals which are neither malleble nor ductile rather than lithium, potassium, sodium or mercury.

20. Write the chemical name and chemical formula for green vitrol.

21. Which important properties of aluminium are responsible for its great demand in industry?

22. Why is titanium called a strategic metal? Mention two of its properties which make it so special.

23. What are the constituents of Solder and write its uses.

24. Name the most abundant non-metal in the Earth's crust.

25. Why are electric wires coated with PVC?

26. Hydrogen is not a metal but it has been assigned in a place in the reactivity series of metals. Why?

27. What are metalloids? Give examples.

28. An element X forms two oxides XO and XO2. The oxide XO has no action on litmus solution but oxide XO2 turns litmus solution into red.
(i) Write the nature of oxide XO.
(ii) Write the nature of oxide XO2.
(iii) Would you call element "X" a metal or a non-metal? Give reasons.

29. A copper coin is kept immersed in a solution of silver nitrate for sometime. What will happen to the coin and the color of the solution?

30. A zinc ore gave CO2 on treatment with dilute acid. Identify the ore and write its chemical formula.

31. Why do many iron pillars erected as monuments not have the aftereffects of rusting?

32. Why does calcium float on the surface of H2O?

33. Why is gold alloyed with copper?

34. Why stainless steal does not corrode easily?

35. What is an alloy? Give two advantages.

36. How can metals at the top of the reactivity series be extracted from their ores?

37. When calcium metal is added to water, the gas evolved does not catch fire but the same gas evolved on adding sodium metal catches fire. Why is it so?

Whoah. That was one heck of a quiz. Long eh? I didn't expect that it'd be so long.

(Plus.. for any snoopy people; this is not from my homework. if you guys want it, I'll answer all these on the spot.. just a quiz...)

Plus.. who has homework this big? xD

The limitations are:
(i) Valid reasons must be provided for each answer.
(ii) The answer must not be one-word.
(iii) The answer is preferred to be in formal explanation.
(iv) Prizes will be given once all questions have been answered correctly by a single person or a group of people (they can divide it among themselves)

The time starts now.

PINGS:
@beckah-lula
@nenielsen
@kollais
@purrclan
@werewolf

Female
2,296 posts

kollais • 24 May 2014 at 10:19 AM

@frosted

Oh, I'd participate, but I have too much homework to be done on this weekends. So, good luck to other people ^^

Deleted • 24 May 2014 at 10:21 AM

Lol. Exact timing for the quiz to be put up 😋

But actually.. this is a double quiz/jumbo quiz. 40 questions.. unlike last time.

3,399 posts

bun • 24 May 2014 at 11:15 PM

@frosted
May I ask why the Moxel is frozen in last stage? xD

I might do this if I had time later. x3

Deleted • 25 May 2014 at 1:26 AM

@_black3333_
I froze it between 3:00 am to 3:10 am. That is the only time when the notification appears that the creature has been frozen, but the image does not get updated till 3:30. (I guess so it might have been corrected now.)

That gave a frozen last stage Moxel.
Anyway, it is a Moxel worth around 100-200CC plus.. a freeze on it worth 200CC. xD

I didn't have anything else to throw in apart new monthlies. (I wouldnt have internet access till 3rd of June.. so hard pact there)