A suggestion...

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Gender Fluid
3,907 posts

dreamer • 9 September 2011 at 8:43 PM

I think that, especially now, eggcave should have a bot test. Example, on the page where you log in, you'd have to look at the letters on a screen and type them in, to prove you're a real person. If you got the letters wrong, you wouldn't be able to get into the account. I've seen things like this on other websites.

Anyone agree?

Female
4,232 posts

meixiaotian • 9 September 2011 at 8:44 PM

Yes. Yes yes yes. Yes.

4,672 posts

icymuffin • 9 September 2011 at 8:45 PM

I kinda agree.
But I read somewhere that adding more than one question/test lowers the chances much more than by just having one.

And the question "Are you a real person?" does the trick with bots, I heard. xD

Female
4,232 posts

meixiaotian • 9 September 2011 at 8:45 PM

@isablah btw, I'm not really comfortable about pinging random people, so I never really do it.
And yes. Again.

Gender Fluid
3,907 posts

dreamer • 9 September 2011 at 8:49 PM

@Icymuffin Lol! Yes! Ask a robot if it's a real person. xDDDD Genius!
And yeah, I do agree that multiple tests could do the trick. Only, not so many that people would run out of their house screaming that there are too many bot tests on eggcave. xDDDD *pictures herself covering her ears and slamming through the front door of her house screaming* Not pretty. xD

4,672 posts

icymuffin • 9 September 2011 at 8:51 PM

I think 2-3 would be just fine :]

And run a test to see if an email is real or not just so that spammers don't create accounts under fake emails so that the account self-deletes after a month. ;p

Gender Fluid
3,907 posts

dreamer • 9 September 2011 at 8:53 PM

@Icymuffin 2-3 would be good. 😊 There could be certain places on ec with these tests.

And yeah, that's another good idea. It's definitely possible that they're just using random emails.

You could just type frgorhgt4380fna0@fmgfjgsfj.com

and it would still create the account.

It gets through the eggcave system as long as it has an @ sign and ends with .Net or .com. Changing that would definitely reduce spamming and bots.

Deleted • 9 September 2011 at 8:54 PM

I think, until the email is verified, newbies can't post on forums/walls/blogs/PM anyone/etcetc

Female
4,232 posts

meixiaotian • 9 September 2011 at 8:55 PM

Or something saying "I, (enter-username-here) swear to not spam random stuff about clothes. Or any other useless junk that makes no sense and drives other people insane." That just popped into my head.

4,672 posts

icymuffin • 9 September 2011 at 8:55 PM

@dreamer

And also get rid of users who do that to create accounts to get more cave tries during Event times...

Female
2,307 posts

lizardfeather • 9 September 2011 at 8:57 PM

Well as long as it doesn't lock you out for getting it wrong x times (they can be hard to read 0_0) I think this is a good idea xD

Maybe one of those reCapthca things? 😸 And maybe a simpler one for tades/adoptions as well 😃

EDIT: Oh yea and block their cave tries/posting until they verify it 😃

Gender Fluid
3,907 posts

dreamer • 9 September 2011 at 8:57 PM

@Icymuffin I hate that too. -.- But if I must admit... *gulp* When I was a newbie... I admit I was guilty of doing that a few times. D: I have more ocmmon sense now though; I just use this one account. But I also think another way to stop this would be if we got more cave tries, too. Ian said the amount of steals per day would be increased at some point.

Unless, people still get greedy in want EVEN MORE. >.<

Female
4,232 posts

meixiaotian • 9 September 2011 at 8:59 PM

Wait! scratch my idea. notice how the egg is the same as the username? That would NOT work. But they would technically swear not to post dumb stuff about clothes that is completely random...

3,562 posts

cafe • 9 September 2011 at 9:00 PM

I used to do that, using my cousins account o///o But, I stopped. I was about, oh a month old

4,672 posts

icymuffin • 9 September 2011 at 9:01 PM

@dreamer

Nah. He changed his mind about increasing the steals.
And I'm honestly glad about that. Somewhat.

But I think for now, the tests/questions should be more focused on people creating new accounts.

Female
4,530 posts

balletninja • 9 September 2011 at 9:01 PM

Hm. At least they give us something to rant and gossip about. Otherwise, well eggcave wouldn't even be fun. It is getting to be... Hmm. Dull.

4,672 posts

icymuffin • 9 September 2011 at 9:02 PM

@balletninja

Sadly, what you said is true.
Only if it wasn't like that....

But meh. It's just me whining as usual.

Female
4,530 posts

balletninja • 9 September 2011 at 9:03 PM

@icymuffin Nah, I think we all feel it.

I don't want to quit. But eggcave isn't going anywhere. For me at least.

Gender Fluid
3,907 posts

dreamer • 9 September 2011 at 9:06 PM

@Balletninja I agree. EggCave has become a bit slow for me as well. With the increase of spammers and trolls, and the decrease of events, plus, I get busier every day as I start to get further into the school year. Meaning more homework. Meaning less time on eggcave. Untill I have to take a hiatus. I'm trying not to quit. But I've considered it a few times. Sometimes I sit at my laptop and wondr, what the freak am I doing with my life? So yeah, I dunno...

Female
9,371 posts

taffy789 • 9 September 2011 at 9:06 PM

@balletninja

Ahh, it's funny 'cause it's true! ;D

Female
4,232 posts

meixiaotian • 9 September 2011 at 9:06 PM

I think Ian went back on his "new plans for the SAR center". awww... He should work on something that'll glue us to the screen.
And I kinda feel it too...
uh oh...

Gender Fluid
3,907 posts

dreamer • 9 September 2011 at 9:08 PM

@Taffy789 I could've sworn I heard that line somewhere before... *goes over a bunch of Spongebob quotes in her head*

Female
4,530 posts

balletninja • 9 September 2011 at 9:09 PM

@taffy789 I appreciate that reference 😉 I use that one all the time.

@dreamer I get that, and the money, don't get me started.

@meixiaotian I know you hate pining people but it doesn't bother me so feel free 😊 And yeah, he has big plans, but ideas and actually doing things, well a big difference to say the very least 😃

Female
4,232 posts

meixiaotian • 9 September 2011 at 9:10 PM

bump.

Gender Fluid
3,907 posts

dreamer • 9 September 2011 at 9:11 PM

@Balletninja Oh, the money. >.< Money, money, money *litens to 'Price Tag' to cheer herself up* There definitely need to be some more events that we don't need to psend our real money on too.

But, I don't wanna get into that right now... X3

Female
4,530 posts

balletninja • 9 September 2011 at 9:11 PM

@dreamer Family Guy 😊

Gender Fluid
3,907 posts

dreamer • 9 September 2011 at 9:12 PM

@Balletninja *replying to your psot about family guy XD* I'm not allowed to watch that. X3 But my sister watches Spongebob a lot, shes's a tv hog all day long. xD When I wanna check the music channels, she never lets me. >.> But yeah, I heard it on tv before.

Female
7,368 posts

cqpkytty • 9 September 2011 at 10:00 PM

bump

Female
2,485 posts

yogurt • 9 September 2011 at 10:01 PM

I think there should be a test for when your making an account not when your logging in because to some people it may seem annoying. I wouldn't like it if I had to spend 5 minutes figuring out what letters/numbers are in the picture every time I log in. (It takes me a very long time sometimes, because I'm a robot. >.>)

Female
312 posts

feathershaft • 9 September 2011 at 11:10 PM

Why would robots want to create accounts and post random stuff on Egg Cave? 😋