47 Ronin

in Entertainment

49 posts

ryu28000 • 16 April 2017 at 11:51 AM

Has anyone watched this movie? I read a condensed Manga style book and found it intriguing so when I seen the movie on tv I started watching.

Now, I don't mind that they inserted some elements of fantasy into it..that was pretty cool, especially the part with the Tengu (in Japanese folk lore they are like humanoid bird people)

Sadly putting Keanu Reeves in a movie that is almost entirely comprised of Japanese actors was like a sock in the eye. He just didn't fit. Then again much of what was portrayed was off.

For example, a Daimyo ( military leader pretty much) didn't go around wearing getta ( a type of sandal worn by peasants).

It would have been tolerable if they had just left of Keanu Reeves out of it.

738 posts

dragonnn • 18 April 2017 at 11:10 PM

@ryu28000

I knew exactly what film you were talking about when you mentioned the poor casting choice for the lead actor...ugh. I saw the movie like 3 years ago, never knew there was a manga adaptation. I liked the CGI monster in the beginning of the film, wish it was on screen longer. But after the monster left I put my headphones in and zoned out for the rest of the movie, didn't want to see Hollywood in action.

Oh well. The live-action Ghost in the Shell movie doesn't seem to have done so well, for more than just casting reasons though. 😋

Male
660 posts

veritaspunk • 18 April 2017 at 11:29 PM

@ryu28000 @dragonnn

I can sympathize, this is how I've reacted with many things ... from The Ring, Macgruber, A lotof Comicbook based films like The Hulk etc Ghostbusters, IT, Charlie & The Chocolate Factory etc

Things translated into the international market often get repackaged for that market ...

It seems that as with all art, like everything in our past and present politics/interest groups never convey the "source" in its entire form instead adding their own biases and agendas that don't carry the same quality impact and enjoyable sensibility as the source material they are working on projecting out in various artworks & media platforms.

It's pretty sad what modern art of all types is in the era that I'm living ...

738 posts

dragonnn • 18 April 2017 at 11:44 PM

@veritaspunk

As long as the repackaging process remains profitable, it's here to stay. It's up to the masses of consumers, I believe, to uphold original works as more valuable and make lazy, biased copies a waste of money and time for everyone.

Didn't know about Macgruber until now. :/ My math teacher showed me MacGyver and I thought it was a great show and concept.
Only recently did I learn that The Ring was an adaptation, though I haven't watched it and don't plan on doing so.

Male
660 posts

veritaspunk • 19 April 2017 at 12:00 AM

@dragonnn

...and even MacGyver has a remake series :/. I'm very apathetic at this point with all these remakes .. where do we get truly innovative original material and concepts that expound the narrative of these former classics ? It seems artfully vacant, those minds, those artists, If not suppressed they're artifacts of antiquity.

When alternatives are suppressed or absent from public consideration, what else does the public have but to accept and choose from "managed options" presented to them ? .. especially when the artist themselves of the original work goes along with that uhh "altered" ( to use a less offensive phrase hehe ) work such as with Harry Potter for a prime example .. the important thing was to finish the movies regardless of this accuracy and narrative followed in the books ... It was okay because the artist was benefiting anyway ... much like Game of Thrones veers off much to the indifference of the Author.

.. I mean if the creators are okay with it, why should we not be ? .. right ? ... 😉

3,057 posts

jirachiwishmaker • 19 April 2017 at 2:04 AM

@ryu28000

Keanu Reeves has acted in all different kinds of movies, but most of them are action ones. And he's really played all kinds of characters as well. He did an asian martial arts movie a long time ago, and it was ok, but I just didn't care for it much. Tho I did like his character in the John Wick movies, I loved both John Wick movies. Yeah he didn't match as a Ronin, but did Tom Cruise match as a samurai in the Last Samurai? Not really, but they always throw ppl into characters like this that may not match them at all. So it doesn't surprise me that they put him in the movie they probably wanted him to act cause he's a popular actor from all those matrix movies that he's done.

@veritaspunk

Them doing all these remakes are just trying to make money off the old stuff that used to sell generations ago. Ghostbusters, Power Rangers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles I just never thought these things would still be around. I didn't care for the new Ghostbusters movie tho, it just doesn't have the classic ghostbusters touch of how the movies and even the cartoon was back then.

49 posts

ryu28000 • 19 April 2017 at 8:49 AM

@chloelove

That's right. Tom Cruise was in "The Last Samurai" wasn't he? I wanted to like that film too but it is really hard to get into a film like that when they put mismatched people into films like that.

I would have liked to watch both "The Last Samurai" and "47 Ronin" if the producers had put a bit more thought into the film casting. Even if the acting was not too good I would have watched it but when I seen Keanu Reeves in '47 Ronin' it was like being sucker-punched.

I don't mind remakes because some are actually better than the original but certain ones, like Ghost Busters, should be left well enough alone.

I want to like the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie, I really do but they did something horrible to them and now they're just...ugly.

Ghost in the Shell....I seen the anime and loved it but some anime just wouldn't do well as live action movies.
May as well try to make a live-action movie out of Pokemon...I don't think it would do well although I think a live-action movie derived from Princess Mononoke would be cool.....perhaps.