Ben 10

in Entertainment

49 posts

ryu28000 • 19 April 2017 at 6:00 PM

So I watched a couple of the "new" episodes of Ben 10 (the show itself isn't new really) but it was done with new animators and I was totally gobsmacked by how horrible it was.

A couple if years ago Ben 10 had good animation, the characters looked normal and the dialogue as well as the characters had..well, personality.

This "new" installment is horrid, Ben is a jerky, obnoxious brat, Gwen is ...well I suppose she is ok but the grandad is idiotic and the animation itself stinks.

Ben and everyone have these huge round eyes that convey nothing, each character is about as bland as water flavored jello and even when Ben uses his "Omnitrix" to change into various creatures, he is beyond clumsy and even more annoying.

In short they ruined what was a previously nice show to watch. Why, oh why, do they take a show off the air, wait a year then put it back on using different animators then call it a "new" show???

It's horrible, I couldn't even get past the first ten minutes without getting irritated by the cruddy animation, lack-luster characters and the main character who is far more annoying and idiotic than need be.

They-ruined-it. Period.

3 posts

noble • 19 April 2017 at 6:15 PM

Whao, I haven't heard of Ben 10 in a while, but I use to watch it when I was a kid 😃

I didn't realize they did a reboot. I looked up the reboot series, and it's definitely seems different. Did the plot change at all? He looks younger in the reboot.

I think I really liked the series when they were older. I don't remember much about the kid Ben 10,

49 posts

ryu28000 • 19 April 2017 at 6:44 PM

I don't know about the plot, it seems they just showed an episode without any background unlike in the original series.

The "reboot" is awful, the kids are small and Ben is really annoying. The entire show is awful, I just tried watching it again and it is so dumbed down and pitiful that it makes my brain scream.

Like in the original, Ben has this weird "bracelet" called the "Omnitrix"that holds the DNA of various aliens which Ben can use to morph; if I recall, he can also borrow DNA form other creatures he encounters.

I really liked the original series but...you'll have to see the reboot for yourself, it is not the same. It is not fun or enjoyable and the way the character, Ben, acts, even in his altered form makes him nothing more than an embarrassing joke.

Female
4,623 posts

mastergemma • 20 April 2017 at 10:18 AM

@ryu28000
Is it the one where there's the teenage and kid Ben? I don't like that series. There definitely is a story to it but there's a lot of episodes of filler.

The series dives into different dimensions and time travel way too much and that annoyed me a lot, even with an episode of an alternate dimension Ben being the bad guy.

I really liked the original series and there are so many good episodes with it. My favourite episode is probably the cross over with Generator Rex, that was amazing! The Ben 10 and Secret Saturdays cross over wasn't as good but still hilarious to watch!

49 posts

ryu28000 • 20 April 2017 at 2:47 PM

@mastergemma

Hmm..I am not familiar with any other "versions" of Ben 10 except the one that was on Cartoon Planet a couple of years ago where both Gwen and Ben are young teens or something.

All I know is that this new one is poorly done and dumbed down so bad that it is embarrassing.

I just hope that other series aren't going to be stupefied like Ben 10 has.

Female
1,002 posts

shirona • 20 April 2017 at 3:33 PM

@ryu28000
Reminds me of what they did to Teen Titans...it's really sad to see cartoons I enjoyed watching as a kid become subpar :/

49 posts

ryu28000 • 20 April 2017 at 4:57 PM

@element

Yes! I miss Teen Titans, the stories were good and the animation was really nice but now they have Teen Titans Go! and at first it was kinda funny but it has grown tiresome and I do not understand why Cartoon Network runs this series for hours on end.

I suppose in order to save money they will take a series off the air for several months while a "remake" is made then they will debut the reboot; claiming it to be a "new" show, hoping that no one will remember the previous installations of the same show.

Of course in order to appease the parents who complain over every little thing, producers make a mad rush to make something that is poorly made with sub-par dialogue while changing known characters into idiots spewing even more brain-dead idiocy.

Female
4,623 posts

mastergemma • 20 April 2017 at 8:02 PM

@element @ryu28000

Teen Titans and Teen Titan Go had a different audience. This is what people fail to understand when comparing them. Go is targeted for youngsters while Teen Titans was for older kids and teenagers. Because of this, I can appreciate Go for what it is, even though it's definitely not what I want to see. I just hope that this show is popular enough so that there will be a Teen Titans reboot and if not, I will hope that Young Justice will gain another season instead as it has a few of the same characters.

Even with this knowledge, I still cannot bring myself to like the new series. I don't like how the characters have changed and i don't like the story and since I barely have time to watch tv anymore I'm not going to see the next series so I won't know if it becomes better or not.

Oh the teenager Ben, definitely not as good as the original series but still a great series. It became so serious which was so different to the original that I found it hard to believe that it's the same Ben! It did feel that the creators missed a key aspect of Ben's personality, his humor and I do understand why but it's such a shame they couldn't include more of his humor. . That series did have one of my favourite episodes though, unfortunately I cannot remember too much about it because it was quite a while ago.

Female
1,783 posts

skyfall4 • 20 April 2017 at 8:10 PM

@mastergemma
I remember when Teen Titans Go was on TV at my badminton club O_O The waffle song kinda made an imprint in my mind XD It was entertaining but....... yeah 😋

Female
1,002 posts

shirona • 20 April 2017 at 9:57 PM

@ryu28000 @mastergemma
I have no idea what is going on with the mainstream cartoon industry but definitely a lot of cash grabbing going on.

Cartoon Network always had a target audience geared towards youngsters until maybe Toonami and definitely Adult Swim would air IMO but I guess what could pass for entertainment now to a younger demographic is pitiful in comparison to a decade ago. I think imitation has taken over originality/creativity with a lot of shows trying to be the "next Spongebob" or something.

Never cared much for the silly, mindless banter and lack of engaging plot either as a kid growing up. I was just mentioning how disappointing it was to see a show with a similar title turn out to be something like...that after all these years. Was just hoping for a decent remake/reboot of a T+ audience Teen Titans when I saw the commercial on CN and tuned in to check out TT: GO. ...but I guess, I shouldn't have had such high expectations thinking it'd be anything like what I watched when I was a kid.

49 posts

ryu28000 • 7 May 2017 at 11:14 AM

Well..I tried again to watch a few episodes of the "new" remakes of Ben 10 and it was torture.

So instead of having a nice half-hour show the animators try to cram to episodes into a thirty-minute slot: I suppose to appeal to the five-year old kids who can't focus for more than two minutes or so.
They really dumbed down the plots and the characters, there is no rhyme or reason to any of the shows and has nothing to do with the Omnitrix which Ben is equipped with.

Ben is annoying and overly childish and sullies his alien forms by continuing to act stupid, self absorbed, narcissistic and reckless.

Hopefully Cartooon Network will put some better shows on, Adult Swim is about the only time I can watch anything enjoyable like Samurai Jack or the like. (Sadly Attack on Titan and Tokyo Ghoul are on too late for me so I have to see if I can get it on youTube).

I suppose many kids nowdays cannot manage to tune into something that goes beyond crude humor and stupidity and heaven forbid if any show touches on or even makes any references and/or allusions to morals and ethics.