Card games.

in Entertainment

Male
676 posts

chiroptera • 6 August 2017 at 1:50 AM

Hey, I'm a bit of a card game enthusiast and I was wondering if any of you play any good card games.

And by card games I don't mean games like poker, I mean collectible card games.

Female
4,623 posts

mastergemma • 6 August 2017 at 3:14 AM

@srx2002
I like playing Force of Will, Weiss Schwarz Yu-Gi-Oh and Vanguard Cardfight. I started Force of Will around two months ago but I haven't played it in a month which makes me sad. I don't play any of them often anymore which is unfortunate and it doesn't help that if I want to play competitively I need to spend an absurd amount of money to get the cards.

Oh, I should go on Pokemon TCG Online again, that was fun!

What games do you play?

Male
676 posts

chiroptera • 6 August 2017 at 4:17 AM

@mastergemma I used to be into yugioh and magic the gathering, but I've quit those games to play digital card games. I've never played Pokémon tcg (I do collect the cards), but a family friend of mine is legitimately a professional (he earns money off that card game 😱).

My favorites ones are hearthstone and shadowverse. I've been playing hearthstone for almost 2 years now, but I still cant get into legend (top 0.5%). Highest I've been was rank 3 (top 1.5%), and that took a lot of grinding. And also, like you mentioned, the game is really darn expensive. I've never thought I'd spend 60 usd on a free to play game.

Shadowverse literally drowns you in free packs, but the user interface looks pretty terrible which is why I don't play it as much. The mechanics are really interesting though, and with all the free packs, it's not all that hard to get started.

I've also heard of vanguard and weiss schwarz, but I've never played em.

Female
4,623 posts

mastergemma • 6 August 2017 at 5:16 AM

@srx2002
Force of Will is supposed to be similar to Magic: The Gathering so I'm probably going to start playing Magic. I used to buy the Pokemon cards but I always bought the rip-offs for the images. I really regret wasting my money and wished I bought the legitimate cards now.

I've heard about Hearthstone a lot and I'm considering to get it on my laptop. I just don't know if I would enjoy grinding for all the good cards. Maybe after uni finishes I'll consider getting it. My gosh that's amazing! Congratulations on being so high in the rankings!

I got into Vanguard and Weiss Schwarz from an old friend who loved it. I have so many Vanguard cards, enough for at least 7 decks. Not very good ones though but still decent. I really enjoyed the game play with this game, it was really fun to learn.

I cannot remember how to play Weiss Schwarz but the decks are all just different anime which is cool. I want to get a new deck and try and learn the game again.

Oh, I also played Gwent on a friend's Xbox while the demo was out. It was pretty cool and if it becomes a card game I want to play it.

Male
676 posts

chiroptera • 6 August 2017 at 5:31 AM

@mastergemma Gwent is actually doing really well! I played it for a while but I never was any good at it. They have a strong playerbase and it's competitive scene is growing rapidly.

Female
4,623 posts

mastergemma • 6 August 2017 at 5:37 AM

@srx2002

That's good to hear, is it still only available as a demo or has it been fully released? I didn't play enough of it to really get a grasp at it, I preferred playing Overwatch when my friend had it.

156 posts

warghost141 • 6 August 2017 at 7:47 AM

@srx2002
I love to play the final fantasy card games and collect the tekken cards too.

also loved the pokemon and yu gi ho card games I used to have a massive collection and played it too