Creature Suggestion: The Angupep (part two of two) ((for now))

in Fan Art & Creature Suggestions

Female
391 posts

redflipflap • 13 July 2020 at 8:26 PM

Hi again! Here's the sequel of my houseplant creature suggestion, The Maray (which y'all should totally go check out). This one was inspired by my favorite houseplant of all time, the Beetle Peperomia. I have one of these and I love her so much!

The Art:
shorturl.at/pzXY3

The Inspiration:
shorturl.at/acgyL

About the Egg:
This egg can be found under rocks and near wet patches of moss growing in shady spots of the forest. It is burrowed into the moist dirt by its mother, hopefully looking like just another piece of stray moss or even a moss covered pebble. Many avian species prey on the Angupep during all stages of its life.

About the Creature:
The Angupep spends its time waddling over rocks and through grassy patches, nibbling and munching on tasty leaves as it passes through. Often times, they can be mistaken for the leaves they eat. This helps them blend in and live long, leaf-inhaling lives.

I hope y'all enjoy this guy as much as I do, he's possibly my favorite of the pair I've created so far! I miiiight do others in the future, haven't decided yet. But this would totally be a cool option for the Eggcave Team to consider a modern creature design, like houseplants, common household items, etc.

Tag ya friends! #redflipflapart
Random pings:
@jlya
@sinthr
@pwuffy
@pipkitten

Female
559 posts

pwuffy • 14 July 2020 at 12:01 AM

@redflipflap ohhh how cute! and what lovely inspiration 😃 nice job! i love the last stage, its soo cute XD

Deleted • 14 July 2020 at 8:37 AM

@redflipflap

ᴠᴇʀʏ ɴɪᴄᴇ sᴜɢɢᴇsᴛɪᴏɴ! ᴡᴇ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴇɴᴏᴜɢʜ ʙᴜɢs / ɪɴsᴇᴄᴛs ᴀɴᴅ ᴀʟsᴏ... ᴛʜᴇ ᴇɢɢ ɪs ᴠᴇʀʏ ᴄᴜᴛᴇ, ʟᴏᴏᴋs ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴀ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀᴍᴇʟᴏɴ! ❤️

Female
391 posts

redflipflap • 14 July 2020 at 10:44 AM

@pwuffy thank you so much!! ❤️ my two favorite hobbies combined

@sinthr haha i agree!! and yknow theres a plant called a watermelon peperomia that i almost used as inspo for another creature lol

Random pings:
@marner
@veritaspunk
@distorted
@zircon

Female
1,575 posts

sorrow • 14 July 2020 at 4:53 PM

@redflipflap
thanks for pinging me ❤️
i love it! i'm a sucker for bugs and creature that don't have all three stages (so it doesn't take as long to hatch them lmao)
I think what i love the most is the simplicity and that it looks so much like something i'd actually find in my backyard or garden. Sometimes the creatures on here are so detailed that they become muddy, or just complicated to look at. It's refreshing to see something more, relaxed, is the best word i can think of, if that makes sense. And while it isn't as grand in art, it's still got lots of details that match the plant and make it super cute! The little dots connecting all the appendages, and the watermelon kind of fading from dark to light green. And the little legs on the second stage are so cute!
The description is also super adorable, i like that you made it realistic, but not boring. the shortness of it does help (and i like short descriptions, because a lot of the time you can understand what the creature does just by looking at it.) but using words like "tasty", "nibbling and munching", "waddling", and "live long, leaf-inhaling lives" (is also such a great alliteration) really helped paint this picture of these harmless little bugs livin' their best lives.
i really, really like it! i hope i get to have one in my cove someday ❤️

Female
391 posts

redflipflap • 14 July 2020 at 5:24 PM

@marner bro thank you for my life, that made me like,,, smile and laugh. I'm so glad you like this little guy as much as I do!! ❤️ that was a big honkin' paragraph, i feel all warm and fuzzy inside c:

Female
301 posts

zircon • 16 July 2020 at 6:41 PM

@redflipflap
Thank you for the ping! I love this creature, it's very different, in a good way. 😋
I love the pattern, at first I thought it was based off a watermelon.

Female
4,265 posts

izziebee1017 • 21 July 2020 at 6:40 PM

@redflipflap
I love it~ It looks like a watermelon beetle 😋