Coding Pages in Eggcave

in Help & Questions

Female
5 posts

corvus • 14 July 2020 at 12:20 PM

If you’ve seen me on Flight Rising (I’m assuming not, but I’m Xarina over there), you’d know I adore customizing things. Right now, my profile is... I mean, it’s boring. Got some text, and that’s cool, but I see some awesome profiles and I want mine to look like that!

So my question is, does Eggcave use BBCode, HTML, or something different? BBCode uses [ and ], HTML uses < and >, and I’m sure there are many other code types out there.

I’m trying to find out the extent of Eggcave’s coding functionality as well. I take it you can’t really do clickable links, for starters (using “url” and “/url” codes). And images seem to be a no-go, too, as I haven’t seen a profile with pics on it (with “img” and “/img” usually). But I do see people changing font color and putting cool text in their profiles... so I dunno! Is there a page somewhere with a list of possible page coding options that I missed? I miss things often, haha!

I should note that I’m on mobile soooo... idk if that changes my ability to code stuff or what, but on other sites that have buttons that insert basic code things (center, align left, align right, etc) in your text blocks.... I have to type it all out myself cause the buttons don’t work so good on mobile. Time consuming, sure, but ya girl needs SOME kind of boredom-buster. xD

Female
3,756 posts

sparklefox • 14 July 2020 at 12:38 PM

@corvus - You can't use anything like BBCode, HTML, etc. here, unfortunately. Instead, you use EC's own eCode (this is the page explaining it, you can also find it in that box listing a bunch of links below the search bar on every forum page). It's fairly basic and you can't do things like post images, but you can make text look fancier and use emoticons (though I think some mobile emojis work here too). You can also post hyperlinks but only to EC pages.

If you're also wanting to use those fancy fonts that some people have on their profiles, you'll have to go to one of those text font generator sites. Smallcaps seems to be especially popular here. Just don't be like some people and write your profile in unreadable, bright yellow, ant-sized text.

Female
5 posts

corvus • 17 July 2020 at 4:23 PM

Ooh, thanks! And yeah, I can't read ant-sized yellow text either, so that'd be hilarious to... ah, make a profile that I can't even read! xD

Seems like eCode is kinda like BBCode, but has its own limitations and the like. I didn't even notice that link under the search bar! I knew I was just bein' oblivious somehow. I'm gonna have fun with this! 😃