Any plant/gardening fans on here?

in Chit-Chat

Female
99 posts

justagiannamoment • 25 August 2020 at 5:52 PM

Hey!

I recently started working on a flower farm and have a pretty substantial collection of plant babies and would love to chat about plants/gardening with anyone interested!

Female
9 posts

supremebananus • 3 October 2020 at 7:19 PM

Hi! Late reply but I figured I'd bring this back up cause I'm interested. I absolutely love plants! I don't garden but I have quite a few plants, mainly cacti and various leafy plants but plan on getting a setup for carnivorous plants eventually. Also working on bioactive enclosures for my pets 😊

Female
1,716 posts

lexicon • 3 October 2020 at 7:29 PM

@justagiannamoment

Hey! I've always loved plants and want to get into gardening 😊. I can't start a full garden at the moment because I'm living in a small apartment but I will definitely want an herb and vegetable garden someday! Also fruit trees! My mom grows avocado, starfruit, sugar apples, and a pineapple. At the moment I just have a few houseplants. I love cacti the most and would love some carnivorous plants, @supremebananus where do you get them from?

I just got into orchids actually! I'm reading and watching as many videos as I can to take care of mine, it's a beautiful purple dendrobium Phalaenopsis. I also got a bromeliad for Valentine's Day this year and it's now sprouted 3 more little babies (I didn't even know this was a thing they did) but I repotted them yesterday and now I guess I have infinite bromeliads lol. I also have a kalanchoe I'm trying to bring back to life, it rotted a little bit earlier this year but it's starting to come back and has new sprouts from the rotted parts which is really interesting to see o:

Female
9 posts

supremebananus • 3 October 2020 at 8:26 PM

@lexicon
Honestly I got the majority of mine at local stores! Brookshires, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, as well as some local nurseries. The stores had great variety and you can get healthy plants as long as you pick them up soon after they're stocked and repot them. Carnivorous plants are hard to come by though. Ive only found them in one of the stores and since they have strict care, they were never in good condition. Probably the best place to find those would be online. Exotic animal expos also frequently sale carnivorous plants.

Female
1,716 posts

lexicon • 3 October 2020 at 8:53 PM

@supremebananus

Thank you! I'll definitely check a few more places before searching online. Our Walmart has their garden area still shut down so I've been getting a lot of my plant stuff from Lowes. I haven't checked Home Depot yet because it's a little further away but hopefully they have a bigger selection! I also have to search for local nurseries in my area and check those out I definitely want to expand my collection 😊

Trans Male
905 posts

cleokitty • 3 October 2020 at 11:47 PM

@justagiannamoment

Howdy!! I love plants and dabble a little in gardening! πŸ˜ƒ
My space is a little limited considering I don't have a yard, but I do have a balcony, lots of pots/dirt, and determination! ❀️ Right now I'm growing cauliflower, forget-me-nots, African Marigolds, two types of mint, like 6 basils, an elephant bush succulent, and cilantro! c:

@lexicon
hey! I have a venus flytrap, I got her from petflytrap.com !
They're a wonderful business set up in Texas! I was a little worried about buying my plant (her name is Snippy Snappy) since I live in Missouri, a couple states away, but she arrived quickly and in a wonderful state! They even have step by step instructions on how to care for venus flytraps as well as other carnivorous plants they sell! 😊 They rock!! I highly recommend their plants, they have a wonderful variety!

Female
1,716 posts

lexicon • 4 October 2020 at 12:07 AM

@cleokitty

Well I just spent the last 20 minutes browsing that site xD. Thank you so much for recommending!! There are so many cool varieties o: Is she easy to take care of? How long have you had her? (love the name btw❀️)

Trans Male
905 posts

cleokitty • 4 October 2020 at 12:17 AM

@lexicon

lol valid!! I spent so long staring at their plants you have no idea!!! I would like to have an army of snippy snappys :,) And thank you!! ❀️

And yes! She's very easy to take care of! I have a little lamp (with a lightbulb specifically for plants I got at walmart! I can send you a picture of the box if you'd like!) set up on my desk right next to her that I turn on every morning and turn off every night! I keep her in a clear plastic box terrarium (also gotten from the site) because she needs high humidity!
Her main source of food is light (photosynthesis amiright) so I don't have to worry about catching snacks for her, and I only give her rain water because tap water is real bad for them! I think the site has a whole thing about that actually?? They also need nutrient deficient soil! But luckily for us, the site sells that, too!

*edit
I need to give her light through a lamp that doesn't give off heat and /Not/ a window because shes in a terrarium! She would cook if she were placed in sunlight :,0

Female
1,716 posts

lexicon • 4 October 2020 at 12:33 AM

@cleokitty

Yes, I saw that!! I was looking at the package that had a venus + terrarium + soil! How often do you need to water her? I think I could get away with keeping them outside too bc I live in Florida xD. Insects everywhere, plenty of light, and 80-90% humidity just about year round lol

Trans Male
905 posts

cleokitty • 4 October 2020 at 12:41 AM

@lexicon

djkghdk epic!! You're all set! πŸ˜ƒ

And not very often! She conserves a lot of her water in her terrarium! I've just gotta keep the soil borderline mushy, I just give it a poke every now and then!

And(# 2) orchids are so cool!! I googled your orchid and gosh its so pretty ! ❀️ Do you have any orchid wisdom you wanna bestow upon me? πŸ˜ƒ I'd love to have some one day!!

Female
99 posts

justagiannamoment • 4 October 2020 at 1:06 AM

OMG @supremebananus I'm so happy that you brought this back! I'm absolutely obsessed with plants and gardening! I have a pretty substantial collection of succulents that I started in college and I have recently been expanding to other types of plants! I got a huge philodendron hope today that I absolutely love! I also have a Tradescantia zebrina (inch plant) that I think is my prettiest plant, a ZZ Plant that is starting to push out new growth and I'm so excited for it! I also have a few air plants, spanish moss, a sensitive plant (who hates me!) and a pink poka dot plant who keep getting crispy tips despite being in a tabletop greenhouse with my air plants!

I also have been working on my neighbors flower farm during COVID since its super safe and ive absolutely fallen in love with flower farming and bouquet making!! I'm lucky and my family lives in pretty much the middle of nowhere, so we have plenty of space to grow plants! Ive been collecting seeds from a bunch of different flowers on the farm as well as buying and propagating plants for the flower beds and I think it's going to look fantastic next spring/summer! I have a huge wish list of flowers that I eventually want to get seeds to start growing!

Female
9 posts

supremebananus • 4 October 2020 at 1:14 AM

@justagiannamoment
of course! I love talking about plants!!
Oh my gosh I love pink polka dot plants, leafy plants like those are some of my favorites! I've been meaning to get more but I only got more plant shelving a couple days ago haha, I lost control with buying cacti and ended up with a whole room full and no space for other plants, which isn't as fun as it sounds when you're really clumsy o_o but I do have a devil's ivy which has been really fun to grow!

I was never as interested in flowers tbh, but when my cacti bloom, it's magical~

Female
1,716 posts

lexicon • 4 October 2020 at 1:24 AM

@cleokitty

I have it bookmarked so I can get it eventually when I have some more space and a permanent place lol. Thank you! That's awesome, I would love a desk terrarium full of venus fly traps when I get a study 😸

I will see if I can send you a picture of mine, I'm in love with her! Orchids are really neat plants tbh. I wasn't planning on getting one but someone from the community dropped off a bunch for us at my job as a thank you (I work at a crisis center) so I ended up taking one home! I haven't even named her yet. There are so many different varieties that I had to do some researching to find out what kind mine was and how to care for it specifically because they're all different! The blooms can last a one to a few months and bloom 1-2 times a year. They like bright, indirect light, although I did read that mine can be kept outside because they love sun more than other varieties. They need to be drained /very/ well, I place an ice cube in the pot once every 10 days or so and that's it for watering. A good website for orchids is repotme.com (https://www.repotme.com/pages/orchid-care-10) for fertilizer, pots, potting media and more! 😊. They're very unique in that they don't grow in dirt (in the wild they just attach themselves to trees) and have aerial roots. I love how unique they are and once you figure out how to care for them it's easy! c:

Female
99 posts

justagiannamoment • 4 October 2020 at 1:25 AM

@supremebananus

Yeah I think I like flower gardening because they make the yard so beautiful but also because I really really enjoy giving bouquets of the flowers I got to grow to people! It always makes people smile! Although it’s definitely not for everyone.

And yes I love leafy plants too! Although I think succulents will always be my one true plant love! I want to get an IKEA milsbo and make it into an IKEA greenhouse cabinet! They are so beautiful and functional! Just really expensive so I have to save up for it!

One thing I have done that has been great is look for free plants and as soon as I started looking I found a ton! I look at freecycle.com as well as joining local plant groups on FB where people share , trade or cheaply sell cuttings or unwanted plants!

Trans Male
905 posts

cleokitty • 4 October 2020 at 1:38 AM

@lexicon

I'm so glad I could help a little!! ❀️ Good luck!!!

Aww thats awesome! and omg thats epic!!!! Oh to be an orchid vibing on a tree!! Thank you! ❀️ thats so cool!

Gender Nonconforming
1,249 posts

frankenstein • 13 October 2020 at 7:31 PM

Ah, didn't want to tag and bug anyone. But in my experience, I have a bit of a black thumb. I've been through so many succulents I feel like a serial cactus killer. If not me, my cats get ahold of them and chew the leaves and sit in the pot, squashing anything I'm growing.

The only thing I have that's thriving is this interesting bush I planted in the backyard. I want to say it's a Dappled Willow, but I'm not 100% on that. Mother Nature cares better for plants than I, lol.

I've decided to try marimo moss balls, since they'll be safely contained. They were doing great for a few months, but they're browning now. I've adjusted their sun intake and made sure they weren't getting too chilled in the cooler weather, but so far it's not helping and I'm at a loss. If they die, I might just stick with hairy pets :/