Regarding colors

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Gender Questioning
289 posts

shine • 8 February 2021 at 9:30 PM

As the title says, this is a suggestion regarding the colors that are available with eCode. I think they should either be expanded to include more hues, or -- even better -- users should be free to use hex codes instead of color names if they like. The reason for this suggestion is aesthetic, of course. I style my creature profiles to match their color schemes, and while this is sometimes possible, most times the available colors don't quite match with creatures's colors. I have seen other users who have similar profiles, such as @/prairie.

To clarify, color names would still be available for those who know less code or simply prefer to use them, as they are elsewhere on the web. There are plenty of sites that have both color names and hex codes available for use, and I think it'd be great if Egg Cave were to do the same.

Female
363 posts

sodabearjess • 9 February 2021 at 7:10 PM

@shine I like this idea! I don't use colors super often, but I could see where this is helpful, especially in the example you gave. I think there was a time where I tried to use a hex code but it (obviously) didn't work. Definitely would make sense to add this as a feature.

Female
408 posts

izziedragon • 9 February 2021 at 11:04 PM

@shine
Totally agree! I haven't been playing with the ecode much as of late but there have definitely been times I was frustrated because I couldn't quite find the color I was looking for.

Those that take lots of time to construct creature profiles and their own profile page taking into account colors would greatly appreciate this.

Female
4,845 posts

newlife • 10 February 2021 at 1:21 AM

@shine
There do need to be more colors, but there's a problem with allowing users to pick their own hex codes.
When the colors feature was first released, some players used white to write terrible comments on their profile that couldn't be seen unless highlighted, and that was a big reason why users weren't allowed to use hex codes anymore.

I believe the best thing is to expand the colors to include more.

Gender Questioning
289 posts

shine • 10 February 2021 at 10:43 PM

@sodabearjess @izziedragon Thanks for the support!

@newlife I had no idea that misconduct is the reason why we're no longer allowed to use hex codes. Thanks for enlightening me! Thankfully expanding the colors is still a possibility, it might not cover as much as hex codes but there are a lot of named colors that could be added. I really hope the team considers this.