What's your music taste?

in Chit-Chat

What genres do you listen to? (Multiple answers allowed.)

Female
222 posts

burrito13 • 2 March 2021 at 2:16 PM

I absolutely love music. ❤️ Most genres I listen to on a daily range from things like classical music (mainly Beethoven, not a big fan of Pachelbel though) to electronic/future bass to rock/metal.

I'm using this topic to broaden my horizon and to see what type of music other people like 😊

(Please be respectful of other people's opinions and styles. I understand that different people like different things. For example, I don't mind Kpop, but I'm not a big fan of it as most of the fandom is. That's alright though. I know people who hate metal music, but still understand that I enjoy listening to it)

Basically the main point of this is to see what other people like and why? I would really love to know why. Is it the intricacy, the simpleness, the rhythm, the major(happy) sounding parts, or something else that draws you to the style you listen to?

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 10 March 2021 at 1:58 AM

@burrito13

I listen to a little bit of almost everything, but i definitely have a strong inclination for string instrumental stuff. (Violin being one of my absolute favorite instruments to listen to. Dulcimer being somewhere in the top 10.)
My days of enjoying metal are behind me for the most part. I like a lot of different electronic music styles. I try listening to different world genres, and have found a lot of Eastern styles to be soothing. Sometimes I'll listen to soundtracks and scores. There's a lot of neat indie stuff that has come out online in the past few years that I don't have any clue what genre it would be in. I was digging sea shanties long before they were trending and have gone to maritime music festivals.
My latest jam has been Celtic Rock.

(I mean mainly I prefer complete silence or the authentic sounds of nature... but when I do listen to music, those are the kinds of things I'm into.)

I'll try and update this later to share the whys of each genre, but I'm having a low cognition day and the thoughts are eluding me.

Female
912 posts

shirothekittehlover • 10 March 2021 at 2:15 AM

I really love songs with an absolutely awesome guitar riff and a little bit of drum sounds in the back =)))
This is an example:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uECvoAmmZcA

3,057 posts

jirachiwishmaker • 10 March 2021 at 4:04 AM

Other...

I like instrumental, techno, 80s, and new age type of music. Stuff that's not played on the radio every single day, stuff you can hear and appreciate what life is. The old 80s music, you gotta love those old rock bands like Def Leppard, Aerosmith, Guns n Roses, etc. New age for meditation purpose, relaxation and destress. Techno for high vibrations...love the song music is so enchanting...

Female
222 posts

burrito13 • 10 March 2021 at 8:45 AM

@snowywinter
That's really cool! I've never heard of a Dulcimer before, but it looks and sounds so amazing. When I do listen to instrumental stuff, it usually is orchestral or full band pieces. While solo playing is absolutely beautiful, I seem to always prefer hearing a full score of instruments. Lol, I love the "digging sea shanties" part. To be honest, I've never thought of listening to some. I guess that's the point of this topic heheh. Thank you for sharing your tastes! And I totally get that. There are a lot of people who don't really listen to music a lot. Also, you don't have to share why if you don't want to. Just learning what a Dulcimer was amazing enough for me 😊

@shirothekittehlover
Lol, me too! Well, actually I like music with a lot of guitar in the back and a good amount of back beats lol. And I used to listen to Digimon soundtracks! Amazing 😊If you like that try giving these two a listen. The second one goes a bit heavier on the drums, but I hope you like it. 😊

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc2ywYj2mVk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnSziXvNJTQ

@jirachiwishmaker
The old rock bands really do hit hard with that nostalgia lol. I have to be honest about this though. I'm not a big fan of Led Zeppelin, but that's because people are always playing their music. It gets kind of tiring. New age music is a nice thing to listen to when relaxing heh, but I can't really listen to it. I get lost in my thoughts to easily, so I just tend to avoid it unless I'm hardcore studying lol. Techno is also amazing! I know everybody listens to Daft Punk, but I kind of like Depeche Mode too. Have you listened to Precious by Depeche Mode? It fits that enchanting idea that is so cool about techno. ❤️

Thank you for sharing all your tastes! I learned a few cool things from this and it's nice to know that people listen to similar things I do lol.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 11 March 2021 at 1:42 AM

@burrito13
I first found out about dulcimers (though I heard them before without knowing it) at a Celtic music concert at an Ice/Snow festival. ...Then continued going to dulcimer concerts in our region. I had absolutely fallen in love.
Some other instruments you may find interesting are the zither, sitar, hurdy gurdy. (Weird progression, going from similar, to not really.)
(OMG... I listed to so many songs on hurdy gurdy, but I just found this About video. So fascinating! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYJg9cLk1us
Lol... it's so funny later in the vid when he tries playing a metal song on it.
I can't listen to the gurdys for long, but it is a very interesting instrument/sound.)
Which I also thought of the hand pans, hang drums, and rav drums. Mmm, LOVE that music!
Hang Massive - Once Again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk3BvNLeNgw
One of my absolute favorite songs to listen to on YT when i just want to melt away.

lol... and usually I prefer solos or chamber quartets over orchestra. (For me it comes down to being overwhelmed by too many sounds. But my love for this type of music comes from my grandparents taking me to an orchestra concert when I was about four. I'm told I didn't sit still, but I remember it differently.)

Kinda hard for me not to think of sea shanties when 1) I live in a region with a lot of maritime history & a classic maritime ballad that is world famous 2) they're played at a lot on ren faires and on the old classic ren faire online music channels. 3) I live near one of the most renowned ports in the world for a particular boat race. - Sea shanties were bound to become part of my life. lol
Hee... Lots of fun learning about new genres and songs through other people. (One of dozens of reasons I miss an online friend that disappeared - he had a very eclectic taste in music, and 97% of the time i loved his suggestions. And I miss the global music program that was on PBS. It played the top 100 hits from around the world each week.)

I love @jirachiwishmaker's music profile too. I like a lot of that stuff. Just went on a nostalgia binge a few months back.
Thought to myself after reading that, the three of us could start our own music channel. The best of Now, Then, and Never Heard of. (Except I know nothing about online DJing/music streaming. And it was just a fun daydream anyhow.)

Now for the p.s. on whys. As much as I could collect my thoughts anyhow.
While I've always liked the instrumental stuff. When I was younger, my nerves were less reactive to sound. (and I don't just mean emotional, I'm actually talking physical sensation.) And the heavier stuff was something I often identified with. Life was far from perfect, and music felt like a friend that understood. heavier stuff can be an outlet for negative and frustrated energy. Sometimes a good cry is in order.
I like slower calmer music to relax by. Be it tempo or the vibrations.
Electronic genres often make me feel alive in a way others don't. (I was first introduced to it by a friend who was DJing back in '97. He mostly played the stuff coming out of Detroit and Germany. - Unless you count Children by Robert Miles, but I didn't find out what that song was I heard on the radio until two years ago.)
Celtic Rock - It has bagpipes AND is upbeat! WOOOO! Just try to not dance to that. (Moshpit!!!) I love music that combines my favorite instruments and give it a fun new twist. (One of my favorite bands is Apocalyptica! I would have gone to three of their concerts by now, but the last two times I got violently ill right before.) Yes, classically trained orchestral musicians gone metal. It's phenomenal - imo. (It's hard to describe... but that sort of combination simultaneously relaxes me and makes me vibrate. ...it makes my heart race, but in a controlled manner that doesn't hurt.)

(And I'm avoiding heavier music now somewhat out of superstition. I noticed a pattern of bad things happening to me when I listened to it. Especially with one particular album. I'm more into calmer music anyhow these days, but sometimes it would be nice to listen to old favorites now and then without the you-know-what hitting the oscillating spinning air moving blades. So now I try to stick to happy positive songs.)

3,057 posts

jirachiwishmaker • 13 March 2021 at 12:12 AM

@burrito13

Yeah I know which song irks me the most it's a good song, but when you hear it too much you do get tired of it the Led Zeppelin "Stairway to Heaven" heard it so much everywhere I would've thought that I was going to heaven already LOL

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 13 March 2021 at 12:58 AM

@jirachiwishmaker re reply to @burrito13: OMGosh! I know what you mean. And that song is a shining example. For me even though I love the song, Paint it Black is also on that list. I couldn't stand hearing it for the longest time because it continually is overplayed. I finally was able to appreciate it again this year (But it took me being in a really foul mood.) I wish I had some of them on hand (can't remember where I saved them to,) but there are some really great articles out there about of how independent artists were being squeezed out of the radio scene, as mergers and rules took over in favor of big conglomerates. The moguls were essentially killing their own business by not allowing a wide variety of music to be played. People got sick of hearing the same thing over and over again. (I feel so lucky that my hometown has an independent radio station. Probably one of the last few remaining in the country.) It is no wonder artists and audiophiles alike turned to the internet.
(I used to be a CD Baby fan, they were great for discovering new music, then they seemed to feel as corporate as the rest of the big names. Now I love Bandcamp for finding new artists. ...Though usually it's my fellow music lovers that give the best suggestions 😊)

Re the second half
Wow! Most people I talk to have never heard of Apocalyptica, let alone are fans of them! (I mean, the past couple years they're starting to gain popularity... but it's taken a long time.)
I'm not personally a fan of Lindsey Sterling's style, but I do recommend her to people - I realize how talented she is. (after I introduced her to my s.o. he ended up buying three of her albums. I can only listen to it when I'm depressed though or it makes me sad :/ *shrug*)
Going to check out those other lists tomorrow probably. I got almost no Friend egg clicks in yesterday before the computer crashed, so I want to try to get some in before I go to bed (and I can't listen to music and do other things at the same time. - I am the worst at multitasking. I can't even enter cook time on a microwave and talk at the same time.)

I'll try to look through old emails to other friends and get some other suggestions up here.
(Blarg ... I'm usually not a fan of drums, but one of the best covers I ever seen was a drum solo. I'm so glad I found it, but it's now blocked on YouTube in my country. *pouty lip*)

Female
121 posts

mithmel • 7 April 2021 at 2:42 AM

I like the Classical genre.
I also like Rock, Pop and Electronic.