small vent, if that’s ok?

in Chit-Chat

Non-binary
26 posts

pepster • 1 April 2021 at 6:26 PM

I’ll remove this is it’s not supposed to be in this topic. It doesn’t have anything that would trigger a person, although it has some harsh topics about an eggcave feature. I personally think that the auctions are kinda rigged? The thing is, I used to love going to auctions to bid and try and snag a creature that I either thought was cute and wolf like/cat like. It was really fun as a new player, because I could get some rare animals and trade up. I don’t usually like to interact with other people, especially if I feel like I’m being a bother. Now, I just see a lot of people trying to get some animals (ex= rare animals priced at low ec prices) and it ruins the whole kind of “fun” atmosphere because more, as in “rich?” people have a higher chance of out winning the newbies. I’m not saying that everyone should always get a rare creature when they get into an auctions, or that everyone who wins is rich, but it feels like the newbies are being left out. When I first joined, the community was really nice, they welcomed me and gave me a sense of worth for creatures. But, I was kind of confused, the message I got from the eggcaveteam when I first joined didn’t have any kind of information about with so it left me confused. Now, I don’t mean to cause a fuss about these things but the main thing is that I want newbies to have a better opportunity. Such as, a welcome package thing including a random travel, 1,000 ec, a toy, and maybe one of the monthly eggs/or a pick your starter from 3 different eggs kind of thing. I know this feature could be easily abused, but I’m going to go ahead and say that this was a rant, not a suggestion. Please don’t ask to make this feature necessary.

[please don’t comment if you have something against this topic. Preferably, I would keep it to myself and avoid having an possible argument with other people in the comment section.]

Non-binary
266 posts

snowywinter • 2 April 2021 at 7:40 AM

@pepster

I get that you need to vent. Sometimes venting is really helpful. Buuuut, the idea of a starter pack for new players is actually VERY exciting.

And while new people feeling left out of buying more valuable creatures is something many probably share (myself included,) it is almost a reflection of how things work in the real world. However there's a difference here. Knowing that with time and patience one can earn their way to achieving the same things. It gives me hope that there are so many opportunities. (Even though I have far more barriers than many of the other players and it takes me longer to earn EC. From day one I've felt the cards stacked against me, but in just a month's time I've had hope grow that one day I can get "there.")

And where Auctions and Trades can let one down, the generosity of other players hasn't yet for me. I've had to go FAR outside my comfort zone in socializing, but people have surprised me with a few really good deals on creatures i didn't see myself being able to afford for a few months yet. Sometimes it's browsing the forums, sometimes it's reading profiles, but not all animals up for trade are in the Trades. (My best deals have come when I wasn't expecting anything at all.) (I even had one weird haggling session. I seen someone was far underpriced for Budgie's so I offered to pay more than what they were asking... and they asked for even less : ) Who was I to argue, lol.)

I think it comes down to timing and luck.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Seriously though... the starter pack is one of the most AWESOME ideas I've seen for the site (even if it was just a random passing thought/example.) I'm crazy for it! (Even if I obviously wouldn't qualify now.)

Non-binary
26 posts

pepster • 2 April 2021 at 7:58 AM

If I can actually get people to support this idea [starter pack] I might try and post the idea in the suggestions pile! I think that all newbies should have a better chance to get a rare creature, but I’m not sure how to work out the part where people could abuse the feature, so I’ll think more about that.

While I do understand that often reality is disappointing, venting is a way to get my thoughts out into the world. I really enjoy having people relate to my topic, and if they even support my ideas I will try to aim for something higher! I guess that’s just a part of life.

Agender
28 posts

punks • 2 April 2021 at 10:06 AM

@pepster I like the idea of a starter pack!! even a player ran one would be fun!! I may do this for now and help other new players

Non-binary
266 posts

snowywinter • 2 April 2021 at 10:40 AM

@pepster As far as people abusing the feature, I think the mods team would probably treat the starter pack the same way they do for the dailies around the site. There's probably something that flags same IP addresses, and there's a balance of a general honor system.
(Not that some people won't find ways/ go through the effort to cheat the system.)
It might need something a little more obvious though than the typical banner up top reminding people to not click from side accounts. Two button system?
Maybe even a waiting period. I was thinking two days. But maybe even 'Congrats on being at the Ark for one month!' (Something maybe to appease some of the old timers so that the site isn't being flooded with a bunch of rare animals, since new players come and go all the time.)

Venting is very healthy. (The hard part sometimes for me is deciding to spill one's guts out on a nearly private blog where I can say just about anything I want... or filtering myself places where I may get more feedback. I'm too nervous about what other people think to usually opt for the latter.)

Non-binary
26 posts

pepster • 2 April 2021 at 9:48 PM

I think that adding a waiting feature would help prevent people from leaving/still being on the site!

It could have a system like the daily login, but for extended time periods for old time players, like every month if they login they get some sort of random creature [not retired ofc] but something like a seasonal or endangered, since available would be pretty pointless if it was already in the cave.

Female
315 posts

moonlight24 • 17 April 2021 at 10:49 AM

That makes sense, I think. I'm pretty sure it had been added I was able to pick a starter and started with 5k EC, I think!
[ I'm not sure, should this be in site feedback & ideas? Ty! ]

Non-binary
26 posts

pepster • 17 April 2021 at 4:39 PM

I also got an egg, and 5k ec but I think that newbies to eggcave should get a bit more, since they’re new and all.

Female
315 posts

moonlight24 • 17 April 2021 at 5:03 PM

Hmmm, yeah, makes sense.