3 posts

ephemera • 4 August 2021 at 1:39 PM

Hi! I am new here and I love it! 😊 I was sort of afraid to start playing, because I was never good at this kind of games, but I happen to like eggs and shells and fantasy creatures, so I really love this game, and luckily for me it is really user-friendly. I like the art as well, it creates a good mood for me. 😊

I enjoy drawing, music, watching movies and discussing them with friends, long walks in the park and nature walks, and anything science-y (unfortunately, I also work as a scientist 😃).

I am happy to chat about stuff, but I am sorry in advance if I take time to reply, I am kind of busy and I like writing proper, thought-out answers back, so I need to be relaxed to reply.

I only have one Creature here so far, until I learn my way around, but she turned out awesome, I am very happy with her. 😊

I am sure I will have a great time here! 😊

~ eph

Female
2,301 posts

lykhaos117 • 10 August 2021 at 5:13 AM

@ephemera

Welcome to Egg Cave!!! ❤️ What are your favorite areas of science (and what field are you in if you don’t mind saying?)? I really like science, too! 😃

3 posts

ephemera • 10 August 2021 at 2:16 PM

Thank you so much! 😊 I am working with wildlife animal viruses, will probably also try to do something about their bacteria, but what fascinates me most is the way viruses and their hosts shape each-other throughout history. I hope I will be able to continue studying reservoir species of various viruses and how exactly their immune systems work 😊 It is so cool to hear you like science, too! 😊 what are your favorite fields? 😊

Male
4 posts

vforveritas • 10 August 2021 at 10:36 PM

@ephemera Hello, nice to meet you! I am a scientist as well; a physicist at that. Nice to see fellow smart people on here! 😊

Female
183 posts

singasong99 • 11 August 2021 at 5:00 AM

@ephemera Welcome to Egg Cave! Nice to meet you! I love science, and I aspire to become a scientist one day! I'm...errr...in the age range of 10-14.

Female
2,301 posts

lykhaos117 • 13 August 2021 at 9:55 PM

@ephemera

That's really neat! 😃 By any chance are you familiar with wild boar viruses?

Conservation biology with some ecology and environmental science are my main areas in terms of my background, but I've been really interested in evolutionary biology and the related field of evolutionary psychology as of late, as well as some genetics. I also find biotech to be fascinating.

Other fields interest me, too, but I'm not as knowledgeable with them! Maybe more than the layperson, though I am not a physicist like @vforveritas even though I enjoy the topic and probably could understand a lot more of it mathematically if I really, really tried. He says he will teach me about cosmology and quantum mechanics! 😃

@singasong99

Yay, another science lover! ❤️ Do you know what scientific field(s) you want to go into? I am in the age range of 21-26, and I have some preliminary knowledge of many fields and friends in various areas.

Female
183 posts

singasong99 • 13 August 2021 at 10:42 PM

@lykhaos117 I’m not sure yet. They all seem so interesting! What are yours? I do like biology~

Deleted • 15 August 2021 at 4:55 PM

@ephemera Hey are you Harry Potter Fan? If so I would love for you join my Fanclub check out form https://eggcave.com/forums/topic/75638

Female
2,301 posts

lykhaos117 • 16 August 2021 at 10:29 AM

@singasong99

See above for my science interests! 😊

There is a lot you can do with Biology. There's Conservation Biology, Ecology (though technically a different field), Zoology, Botany, Evolutionary Biology, Marine Biology, Anatomy, Cell Biology, Immunology, Microbiology, Epidemiology, Virology, Genetics, Physiology, Exercise Science, Nutritional Science, Biotech, Bioethics, Biophysics, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Physical Anthropology, Developmental Biology, Histology, Virology, Bacteriology, Mycology, Neuroscience, Toxicology, Theoretical Biology, Pharmacology, Synthetic Biology, Quantum Biology, Veterinary Medicine, and probably a lot of other branches I am forgetting. XD

Female
183 posts

singasong99 • 16 August 2021 at 6:14 PM

@lykhaos117 😱 thanks for taking the time to list down all of them! I think out of those, my favourite would be zoology and maybe botany?

Female
2,301 posts

lykhaos117 • 16 August 2021 at 6:18 PM

@singasong99

If you want a career along those lines, I would recommend volunteering or interning at a zoo, garden, nature park, or farm if you have these opportunities available to you! 😊 I'm not sure what the age requirements are in your area, but it would be a good thing for you to consider and will give you some early experience.

Female
183 posts

singasong99 • 17 August 2021 at 1:42 AM

@lykhaos117 Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely try out when I'm old enough i.e. 16 😊

3 posts

ephemera • 7 September 2021 at 9:47 AM

@vforveritas Hi 😊 wow, physics is really hard. My hat goes off to you! I know next to nothing about physics, but I really enjoy tv series about astronomy and such. And I used to know a guy who was doing pretty serious research about physics of extremely low temperatures (sorry if I phrased it wrong, I learned English as a second language at school😊)

@singasong99 Hello, thanks a lot! 😊 That´s really great, I wish you the best and most satisfying career. I personally think that it isn´t really that hard to become a scientist if a person is curious and motivated enough to put in the effort, it´s mostly about "poke around and find out" 😊 But it is true that a lot of luck is sometimes involved, so I wish you the best luck, too! 😊 Zoology and botany are both great 😊 I used to be a lot into zoology and I ended up going to veterinary medicine university.

@lykhaos117 Yes, I helped out with a colleague´s Aujeszky´s disease research 😊 my main topic is about bats and their viruses, but occasionally I get to work with other species. All those areas are very interesting, I love bioinformatics and everything about evolution. Evolutionary psychology is especially fascinating to me as a hobby, but I don´t have much time to study all that I would like to know 😃 I´m chronically curious 😃

Female
2,301 posts

lykhaos117 • 7 September 2021 at 11:17 AM

@ephemera

Wow! Bats in general or a particular species? You’re probably a lot further along in your career than I am, but I helped with a study on bats by compiling articles about how they’re affected by mercury contamination. I’ve also set up mist nets a few times. I have no publications as of yet though. ^^;

I’m hoping to do some work involving fruit bats and other animal species, but my research is delayed due to the pandemic. ☹️

I’d be curious to learn more about what you’re doing if you don’t mind! Would it be okay to DM you?

As for evolutionary psychology, I would highly recommend Geoffrey Miller and Diana Fleischman. I sometimes listen to podcasts or videos of them while feeding Egg Cave creatures. XD