How do you decide names for your creatures?

in General

Neither
3 posts

therpgnerd • 4 September 2021 at 12:55 PM

I'm curious about how others decide names. I personally use names from Petfinder to name mine, since they're funny imo. What about you guys?

Female
932 posts

shirothekittehlover • 5 September 2021 at 5:53 AM

I personally name my creatures using the Warrior Cats naming pattern :]

Non-binary
2,849 posts

luv • 5 September 2021 at 1:28 PM

@therpgnerd
Good question! For me, I kind of hoard my names over @store, but keep a list of them on one of my creature profiles so I don't forget what I have, and then it's really all about vibe? I don't have any themes per say, but I like to avoid symbols/numbers wherever possible and aim for real words. I'm happy to shuffle them around, too, but sometimes, a name just fits that I could never change - Prison, Neriokat, Alleia, Timpie, -Mockingjay-, Zebra, Jayca... they've all had their names for so long that even if they may not fit, changing it would just feel weird.

FTM
2 posts

cedarlover • 5 September 2021 at 2:32 PM

honestly just do whatever comes to my mind. makes for weird names lol

Demiboy
779 posts

blub • 5 September 2021 at 4:30 PM

I usually just like being creative with names, sometimes I feel like creating a made up name starting with a certain letter (and when I make up something I always google it to be sure it's not by accident a real word in a language I don't know, that might be accidentally offensive),

That or use a word as a base, like an animal or word(s) I like, like something from nature, bands I like, the weather, or combine words, like at my side @samhain , most names are Autumn or October combined with anything I could think of 😋

Female
183 posts

singasong99 • 5 September 2021 at 9:24 PM

It honestly depends for me. Sometimes I create compound words that I hope don't actually exist. Other times I just name them whatever comes to mind. Usually Occasionally I'll slap my keyboard, make the first letter capital, replace some letters with vowels and I'm done.

Genderqueer
135 posts

noxura • 16 September 2021 at 5:44 AM

I whip out a dictionary and pick a word that fits 😊