Forum points and point shop

in Site Feedback & Ideas

97 posts

riceboysleeps • 29 October 2021 at 11:57 AM

This is an idea from another pet site: every time someone posts in the forums, there is a chance that they are awarded a forum point. Points can be redeemed for creatures/items like the vending machine. This will incentivize people to participate in the forums and talk to each other.

Female
244 posts

lilacblack • 10 November 2021 at 8:12 PM

@riceboysleeps This would help revive the site a lot!

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 10 November 2021 at 8:25 PM

Not to sound like a downer, but I am really against this idea.

I actually was recently interested in joining another virtual pet site, but decided *not* to when I seen they have a way to earn points by making forum posts.

I've been a part of sites with that sort of feature in the past, and it actually took away from conversation for the sake of conversation. When one of my old hobby websites switched to it, the whole social dynamic changed. It became a competition, quality of conversation eroded, and people became cliquey. (Not that we didn't have our little groups... but it became immature and snarky.) (The change in the Forums is actually what caused me to leave a site I had been part of for years. I was so close with these people I had actually attended in-person gatherings.)

No thanks. I wouldn't want to risk that all over again.