Gobblers on mobile

in Help & Questions

Female
1,882 posts

chaotictreat • 25 November 2022 at 6:18 AM

Just wondering if the gobbler timer is any different on mobile devices? Or if gobblers are affected by the different layout or something?
I keep going fairly long periods of time (>10min, sometimes up to 30min) without seeing any, even though I thoroughly check the page. I also tried it on "desktop layout" which had slightly more success but still very rare.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 25 November 2022 at 6:53 AM

@chaotictreat

things got off topic on the 'smol gobbler' thread, but your experience is not unique.

That's definitely been my experience. (only getting them about every 10 -20 minutes on mobile, 5 if I was lucky, 40 if they were being extra sneaky. But 'desktop is where we vary. If i keep at it I can get them every 1-3 minutes. ...I'm just too busy to hunt for them with that much dedication.)

But the timer is not supposed to be different. Ian did discover a problem in coding for mobile (of them not showing up) and tried to correct it ... two(?) days ago.

With the latest coding update they've been slightly more regular on mobile... but now they're slightly smaller overall and harder to see on both versions.

Female
1,882 posts

chaotictreat • 25 November 2022 at 6:58 AM

@snowywinter
Oh for sure, if I'm actually ON a laptop/desktop, I get them frequently like I'm supposed to. I mean the "desktop site"/"use desktop layout" option on some mobile browsers. Not sure if you meant that or not?

Well good to know I'm not crazy at least and that there was an actual problem. Shame I'm still having trouble though... I haven't noticed them being smaller at least

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 25 November 2022 at 7:26 AM

@chaotictreat I meant the actual devices layouts that were meant to be used on each. (Specifically that "desktop" applies to most laptops. - Currently all of them I'm using.)
(With the past few releases of Android the "desktop mode" seems useless on most sites now : / I'm stuck using mobile layout 99% of the time now, including eggcave. It's one of my pet peeves.)

Glad I could help somewhat. never fun not knowing if something isn't working the way it should. It's been a frustrating season for Gobblers for sure! If it's not one thing, it's another.
(the team has had their hands full with more coding issues all around than usual it seems. ... i.e. the evolve & imagine caching fiasco.)