why are the security questions so personal?

in Help & Questions

Non-binary
8 posts

candled • 8 December 2022 at 10:59 PM

why are they so personal? I don't mind telling the site my Pet's name but I do mind telling the site my school, street, ect. and I don't even know my grandma or anyone in my family's middle names

perhaps it can make the questions less personal?

Female
1,283 posts

daisycat • 8 December 2022 at 11:25 PM

@candled
I think because some people on the site may know your pet's name (due to chatting and talking about oneself and such). But, more unlikely would other players know details like your family member's middle names. The questions have to be personal so that, hopefully, only you are the one who can gain access to your account.

Maybe they can create a larger variety of the personal questions so everyone will have a nice selection to choose from (and feel comfortable). c:

Female
2,806 posts

heatherm19 • 9 December 2022 at 12:19 AM

A lot of sites do that, actually, even places like bank websites (mine does, and I got frustrated because yeah how am I supposed to know the street my mom grew up on??). As daisycat said, it's a higher level of security: Most people online would know that my dog's name is Hippie (I talk about him enough!) but it's rather unlikely anyone would know my elementary school's name, or my favorite teacher. Some of those questions can be kinda out there though, like there must be a balance between 'obscure enough to protect your privacy' and 'so obscure even you don't know it!'.

Female
1,637 posts

minnie298a • 9 December 2022 at 12:51 AM

As stated it's a security thing. Not just for other people on line, but also people you know in real life. Had a major fight with your best friend? Well those questions could stop them hacking in and giving away all your favourite creatures.

There is one site I visit regularly (government run), that requires you to answer a security question after entering your password. From memory high school nickname, primary school and first pet are some of those questions.

Also, I see some of the questions like prompts. It's not a quiz, so the answer doesn't need to be true and correct. Just something you will remember when prompted.

Non-binary
8 posts

candled • 9 December 2022 at 8:07 AM

@daisycat
@heatherm19
@minnie298a
thank you all so much! I do understand it more
I will hopefully remember my answers, might even write them down but hide it where only I know :]