Site Trivia help? [Question For Mods/Staff/Ian]

in Help & Questions

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 23 June 2023 at 11:51 PM

@Orderedchaos

I was wondering, with so many creatures on Eggcave now, on days of Visual questions may we at least ask others if the answer is "in A - M, or N through Z" ?

Site Trivia visual questions have long been one of my FAVORITE activities on the site, but lately it's just been frustrating if I don't know even remotely what kind of creature I'm looking for.
Combing through 1000's of creatures, with no success. (If I put forth the effort I used to never fail in finding it... even if it took all day.) Now it makes my eyes cross, gives headaches, and I'm still without the answer.
It would really help if the search was narrowed down to about 600 creatures on the days i don't have a clue what I'm looking at.

(Feel free to move this to Site Feedback & Ideas; I wasn't sure which topic was better for this.)

Female
1,741 posts

minnie298a • 24 June 2023 at 12:28 AM

@snowywinter
I kind of agree with this. Some sort of clue, be it a range for the starting letter, or release year or month, or release method (monthly, event etc).

But feel it should only be implemented for those creatures that are shown in stages that are not their eggs.

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 24 June 2023 at 12:38 AM

@minnie298a
Right... I don't want people giving out clues to make it too easy. (I LOVE the *challenge* the visual questions provide.) If it was by year for example, I'd want it to be a range of no less than five years. And no more than 2 clues per any given creature.

I could agree to terms of it only being allowed on non egg stages... lol but that in itself is a clue "Sorry, I can't give a clue today, as it's in egg stage" >.< lol
(If yesterday's was ... my ask still applies. I went through them several times both on Eggcave and Eggcavity.)

Heck, even knowing if something is an egg or not could be a big help (I mean... usually it's easy to tell, but some of them are trickier. Even ones I've got right / right away I'll admit I can see how others were stumped.)

Female
1,741 posts

minnie298a • 24 June 2023 at 12:54 AM

@snowywinter
Egg stage only limits it to 1039 images. It's just easier to search the archives.

"It was available in 2022" starts with 48 eggs, just for monthlies (2 Cave + 2 CC for 12 months). Pretty sure each of those is 4 stages (egg, child, teen, adult), so 192 images. Plus cave commons, rereleases, limited release, SARC, VEND, events etc. So for example there are another 5 creatures (roughly 20 images) for say the Halloween event, 24 creatures (minimum of 48 images) for the rereleases, and so on.

If the pictures are just monthlies, then sure, a range of a couple of years is fair.