Must I activate the turkeys?

in Help & Questions

Female
422 posts

suzanab • 1 November 2023 at 8:08 AM

Been here for an hour jumping between pages, not even a turkey feather in site. Must I do something? Like...activate the event...get a bag of corn...wear a pilgrim suit...?

Female
1,742 posts

minnie298a • 1 November 2023 at 8:34 AM

You don't need to activate anything to start. They should just show up every couple of minutes. You do need to click on them to make catch them and make it count though.

Some tips/notes:
- They can show up anywhere on the page, including the white bit, over text, the side bar and most difficult, the pretty Halloween/Thanksgiving background (they blend in)and over the Facebook button.
- They are completely coloured (no longer faded or see though).
- I'm guessing they are about quarter the size of a profile picture.
- I found they do seem to scale with zoom. So the smaller the "normal" bits, the smaller the image.
- They show on all pages. Maybe try somewhere sparse like the Thief shop until you know what your looking for.
- If you open several tabs at once, only the first will count. So say you open 10 tabs, and a gobbler appears on tabs 4, 5 and 6. If you click on the one on 4 first, it will count. Clicking on the one on 5 and 6 won't. But a gobbler then showing up on the Whoops page, will count again.

Female
422 posts

suzanab • 1 November 2023 at 8:37 AM

@minnie298a

Thanks 😊 This is pretty much what I been doing, so far nothing...my eyes are getting crocked with all the squinting 😃

Female
1,742 posts

minnie298a • 1 November 2023 at 8:42 AM

@suzanab
If it wasn't the gobbler event years ago (back with very faded images), it was the Easter Egg hunt that finally convinced me that I really should be wearing my glasses while on the computer. Oh, and that my monitor was way more dirtier than it should have been.

Good luck in your hunt.

Female
422 posts

suzanab • 1 November 2023 at 8:44 AM

@minnie298a

LOL, you so funny 😃 😃 Thanks, good luck to you too ❤ī¸

Female
897 posts

mythisea • 1 November 2023 at 9:00 AM

I'm struggling to find my first one also, you're not alone!! Good luck to you ❤ī¸

Female
1,742 posts

minnie298a • 1 November 2023 at 9:49 AM

@suzanab @mythisea
I've now changed devices, so a question.

Are you trying on a pc, or mobile device?

Because I was having no problems finding them on the desktop computer (even the ones hiding on the scarecrow and autumnal foliage in the background), but they seem harder to find on my tablet. As in I was out playing taxi driver for over 30 minutes, and it took about 10 min and many pages to find one once home again and switched devices.

Female
422 posts

suzanab • 1 November 2023 at 11:24 AM

@mythisea

Thanks, good luck to you too ❤ī¸

@minnie298a

I'm always on a desktop, can't play on mobile. Still no gobbler tho 😃

EDIT: PoP! GOT ONE! Just now! Yaaay! LOL

Female
5 posts

avashantu • 1 November 2023 at 11:39 AM

I am having problems finding them as well ☚ī¸ Will keep looking!

Female
2,718 posts

jlya • 1 November 2023 at 11:41 AM

@suzanab
According to the blog post several users have not found any Gobblers and have been online for hours. Seems to be a glitch. It's like the start of the event is making its way around different time zones. It hit Europe about 4 hours ago. Looks like it just hit yours, LOL

Female
422 posts

suzanab • 1 November 2023 at 12:05 PM

@jlya

Oohh...So there's summer hour, winter hour and turkey hour! Got it! XD

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 1 November 2023 at 12:53 PM

I didn't start looking for the gobblers until several minutes ago, but I found one right away. (time zone is same as Eggcave's)
but, the very next one that should have been there had the same problem as years past. On mobile using a browser that still has indication tabs, I tested it out with the first gobbler and it indicated exactly where it was. No Gobbler on the page, the indicator blob goes to the very end of "Now Hiring". But when there *should* be a Gobbler on the screen, but it's not, then there is no 2nd blob. (sorry, I refuse to call a dot with one small point an arrow.)
I think some of the problem is Android forcing these ultra zoomed in views with no way to zoom out.
(Most mobile browsers force a minimum 300% zoom in now. I found one that still only forces 200% *smh* )

(Thus why I prefer Gobbler hunting on a PC. Can zoom out even if highlighting all text does nothing.
Which I rarely mess with the highlighting text as it wastes time and it feels like cheating which takes the fun out of it for me. I just do it when my sanity is starting to crack after a long stretch of searching and haven't found any of the evil birds.)

Edit:
Just in case anyone missed it, bone posted a screenshot on page 2 of the blog post. (near the bottom of comments.)

32 posts

pewpewkachu • 1 November 2023 at 12:56 PM

All I know from last year's experience is tat plenty should be popping up in the center of the page on the white parts, and that's just not happening right now for me as I test. I managed to get on the list last year mainly focusing on center and bottom of page page turkeys, but I've seen 0 so far for this year. I also do scan the pages as well and am still seeing nothing.

@jyla

If they are really rolling out different time zones...that's kind of messed up for an event like this, since so many people are already so far ahead, and at least one of those probably will spend unhealthy amounts of time on the site hunting gobblers. I finally managed to get one as soon as the clock hit 1:00 site time (I'm on EST), so it seems this might actually be a thing...how is that fair? =\

Female
422 posts

suzanab • 1 November 2023 at 1:04 PM

@snowywinter

Thanks, helpful as usual ❤ī¸

Sorry more users have problems finding them tho ☚ī¸ Good luck everyone ❤ī¸

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 1 November 2023 at 1:09 PM

@pewpewkachu maybe try the short page refresh method? (i.e. Oasis - or any of these) for a bit just to see if you're getting them.

just making sure that you're mainly scanning the white area because they're easier for you to spot?
(and not a misunderstanding that it's like the Easter Egg Hunt where the eggs only appear in the white - since the Gobblers can appear anywhere on the page.)

- - - - - - -

I'm wishing everyone the best of luck. It's so hard to know if this is a glitch or not. Hopefully you all get word soon from staff on the issue.

(the Easter Egg Hunt is always frustrating for me because it always takes about an hour for my first egg to show up for me.)

- - - - - -

Edit/update:
blog comments
Ian says Gobblers are appearing normally
smartie2742 suggests closing Eggcave, and reopening. They started finding them after doing so. (along those lines... perhaps clearing cache and a full restart may help? *shrug* won't hurt.)

32 posts

pewpewkachu • 1 November 2023 at 1:14 PM

@snowywinter

No, I think jlya is actually on to something, because AS SOON as the clock hit 1:00 here Gobblers started appearing. Before that, nadda.

It is easier for me to focus on the center in general. The white BG is just a bonus xp

Non-binary
2,798 posts

snowywinter • 1 November 2023 at 1:22 PM

@pewpewkachu yay, technology. ...I've had computers do things before that techs say should have been impossible. Do any of us really understand what those 1s & 0s actually do? Chaos exists everywhere. lol >.<
So yeah, I buy the time zone theory as a plausible explanation. (It seems to be what's triggering it for most people.)

*nods* completely understandable! *thumbs up* more power to anyone finding a method that works for them ^^
(I swear... how all of us find Gobblers around the site is like trying to order pizza for about 50 people. : P )

Female
422 posts

suzanab • 1 November 2023 at 1:27 PM

@snowywinter

...and under 30 minutes 😋 XD

32 posts

pewpewkachu • 1 November 2023 at 1:53 PM

@snowywinter

Well, I can tell you I just glue my eyes to center and spam page down and home while clicking through pets xp. Seems to be pretty efficient.

Female
1,742 posts

minnie298a • 1 November 2023 at 7:36 PM

I'm going to need to do some math here because time zones are hard.

I started my hunt at about 12.30am (2.30pm my time). But no one was finding any, because something had gone wrong. Did most of my dailies and Ian had fixed it.

No problems on Egg caves end for a while, collected over 80.

A little after 8.30am (10.30 pm my time), I had a mission and left the computer, returning nearly an hour later on my tablet. The gobblers were really hiding. I was checking in every 10 to 30 minutes (trying to get both monthlies) and they were very hard to find. When I did find one, upon tapping it, I would get a full screen ad and then a Whoops message.

This morning (well, 7pm ECT, 9am mine, so morning), I tried on my tablet again while waking up. No go. Dragged myself out of bed, booted up the computer, and no problems again.

Female
422 posts

suzanab • 1 November 2023 at 7:44 PM

@minnie298a

Seems to still be a bit of some bug or sort of...have the same problem...either they work regularly, or take a looong break, then work again, except with ads, when whoops.

Female
1,742 posts

minnie298a • 1 November 2023 at 7:48 PM

@suzanab
I'm not sure if the issue was my tablet, just bad timing or a combination.

Female
422 posts

suzanab • 1 November 2023 at 7:51 PM

@minnie298a

For me the ads are still a big problem, I wish I could enjoy this event...and I wish the *censored* ads would go away for good! Good luck and thanks for answering and helping ❤ī¸

Female
1,742 posts

minnie298a • 1 November 2023 at 7:54 PM

@suzanab
As I said above, I use adblock on the computer. So no problems with ads either.

Female
422 posts

suzanab • 1 November 2023 at 7:58 PM

@minnie298a

Ad blockers mess my comp...don't like using them, especially since the only ads I get are here.

Female
1,742 posts

minnie298a • 1 November 2023 at 8:01 PM

@suzanab
That sounds fair enough.