Best Strategies to Organize Your Cove / Design Inspo

in General

What's your preferred way to organize your cove?





Female
1,029 posts

     

nenielsen • 1 week ago

I'm a long-time player that has returned after many years of absence. I noticed that there are still few to no tools to help us organize our coves. For example, I would love the option to organize by species but it seems like I can only do that by assigning individual numbers.

And so for the last 24 hours I have been figuring out the best way to go about it. First, I made a master list of all my creatures and organized them alphabetically by species. Then I assigned each a number, and I plugged in that data into a cove list. Now, as I get new creatures I can just add it in by assigning it one number below it's intended (I think I may be mixing this up) then the cove list will automatically move the other creatures up a number.

I was wanting to do a rainbow list but managing more than one is just too much work. But, I'm curious how others organize their coves. Please feel free to share here and I'll make a list here at the top of "styles" that people can get inspiration from.

Organizational Styles:

Alphabetically by species -> @nenielsen "All by Species" tab
Rainbow -> @daisycat
Symmetrical -> @daisycat

Female
1,471 posts

     

daisycat • 1 week ago

@nenielsen
I agree, the site could benefit from new cove organization tools! (new anything, really) That said, I think the way you ended up going about your alphabetical species order was smart. :-)

My go-to is having the creatures in each row facing the center of the row, if possible, along with them being in rainbow order (my Gallery tab). So creatures 1 and 2 are facing right, 3 is facing forward, 4 and 5 are facing left. @/okami also does this and it looks gorgeous. I've always had my rainbow order starting with purple, then blue, and so on... but if dragging and dropping creatures ever becomes a thing again, I'd like to redo my order and have green first. Can't say I wanna work on it now because the cumbersome and squirrelly numbering system drives me nuts. 🥴

I also sometimes group similar or same creatures, have a tab where creatures are listed in the order in which I obtained them (Please Laugh tab), and of course, good old-fashioned listing by order of favorites / most accurate to my IRL cat (Mildreds tab).

Female
1,029 posts

     

nenielsen • 1 week ago

@daisycat oh how i would love to be able to drag and drop! Thanks for sharing, I never thought of that before about getting to face a direction that is balanced. Do you want your username to be added to the list for these organization styles so people can see examples?

Female
1,471 posts

     

daisycat • 1 week ago

@nenielsen
Yes, you're welcome to add my username to the list! Thank you~ Oh and I thought of a good way to describe the balanced style -- Symmetrical. XD Also works because sometimes I'll have a similar creature at 1 and 5, and then also 2 and 4.

Reply