What are your favorite spooky movies?

in Entertainment

Agender
95 posts

     

dagda • 3 hours ago

October is upon us!!! I'm curious what everyone's go-to halloween season movies are, what you'd recommend or what you're planning to watch!

I personally just watched Nosferatu (the 1922 one) today, really fun watch I adore the quirks of old cinema. I'm hoping to knock off quite a few horror movies off my watch list this year. One that I'd recommend is House (1977), really whimsical and fun little movie. (:

Non-binary
3,177 posts

     

snowywinter • 1 hour ago

o.O The first thing that popped into my head for some reason was Rise of the Guardians >.< Self, that is *not* a Spooky movie. "Yeah, but Pitch is FUN!"

Ooh, looooog time ago when my former partner & I first started dating Nosferatu was one of the first movies of his favs he introduced me to. (with the Type O Negative soundtrack) : D
That House title reminds me of one I have never been able to track down. I loved it! (My mom thought it was way too creepy for me to watch. But I loved how wildly creative it was.) It was in black & white. I won't get into the details here as the gore is definitely NOT Eggcave appropriate, but I think it was this couple stumbled upon this house when their car broke down, and at first the hosts seem friendly but then the couple face a bunch of horrors trying to escape. (I thought it was The Fall of the House of Usher... but apparently there was a double feature that day and that was the other movie I watched. Like that one too.)

Let's see, in the vein of what you seem to like...
Hmm... I forget which version, but Tell Tale Heart was always a favorite. Saw that one in school, and have watched other iterations, but it remained a fav.
And The Most Dangerous Game. (The old black & white, modern iterations don't capture the "charm" of the written story.) (Again, saw it in school. o.O I think society's idea of what is "kid appropriate" may have changed over time. lol. Then again I can't believe they're still making kids read stuff like Old Yeller and Catcher in the Rye. It's like adults *want* to traumatize them.)

Can never go wrong with Nightmare Before Christmas or Beetlejuice, imo.
As a kid one of my absolute favorites was Nightmare on Elm Street. (HIGHLY recommend reading the book if you're a fan.) The Willard sequel Ben (original) gave me a phobia of being in any house with central heating/cooling, for over two decades. (finally started getting desensitized after about 5 years of moving into a house that has it.) (Bad enough I already had a phobia of rats because of the giant ones in my city that are larger than opossums, [redacted memories of my childhood])

Honorable mention... I remember, my ex-partner and I had gone to see Monster House together in theaters. For it being a fun kid's movie... we both admitted it freaked us out.

Most recent watch of spooky I loved... Finally got around to watching the A Quiet Place series this yeah. Top notch! Not particularly seasonal, and a bit more sci-fi, but it does have a nice level of suspense.

If I think of any others, I'll try to post again. But that's off the top of my head ^^

(And I just spent half an hour tracking down the title of a book that spooked me so bad that for a long time I was automatically suspicious of any kitsune and assumed something very bad was about to happen any time they showed up in fiction. - but then I was reading a synopsis and apparently the story has a lot of adult content - I totally do *not* remember that because the story is so spooky! oh well >.<
*pfft* Stupid AI search assist telling me that the characters I mentioned only exist in fanfic of the series >.< Like listen, they may not be main characters, but I know I didn't imagine them. lol. (And I didn't read enough fanfic of the series for it to have planted false memories. No, reading the series again, is when i found out where the story that spooked me for all those years came from, It's so vastly different from the main plot, I had completely forgotten.)
Know you said movies - but the story embedded in my consciousness that it worked to make other movies have more of a fear element for me than they would have otherwise >.< "Kitsune expansion pack uploaded")

Reply