Trading EC for CC?

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Female
42 posts

baron_star • 15 July 2011 at 4:01 PM

I'm not sure if anyone has come up with this, but I know I am one of the people mentioned below.

There are people who for one reason or another cannot buy CC with actual money. I was thinking that the EggCave population would be able to buy CC with EC.

We could have a conversion chart, like 100,000 EC=100 CC, or something like that.

@Ian - what do you think?

For everyone else: Yes? No? Maybe? Opinions?

~Baron

Male
1,247 posts

Meteoroid • 15 July 2011 at 4:10 PM

If I can recall correctly, Ian did comment on this particular idea and said he does not plan on implementing it. Though there may be an option to convert CC to EC.

Female
42 posts

baron_star • 15 July 2011 at 4:10 PM

Oh. You see, I'm new here, so I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me!

Deleted • 15 July 2011 at 4:11 PM

@meteoroid

Yeah

@baron_star

Then people would just feed eggs, and Ian would make less money

146 posts

violate • 15 July 2011 at 4:13 PM

I actually remember Ian saying there would be an EC/CC converter in a really old blog post... Either he changed his mine or I just made that up in my head. xP

Female
42 posts

baron_star • 15 July 2011 at 4:15 PM

@victoria_the_wolf - Agreed. But I mean, I highly doubt he makes that much for it to be considered a loss. (Does he?)

Deleted • 15 July 2011 at 4:17 PM

The CS is his main source of income site wise

Female
42 posts

baron_star • 15 July 2011 at 4:19 PM

Yeah, but I mean, I don't think he makes his living off of this site, does he?

Male
1,247 posts

Meteoroid • 15 July 2011 at 4:19 PM

@Izzy You aren't crazy. I recall him posting that as well. But he later retracted the statement and said he would only consider a CC to EC converter.

@baron_star I may remember Ian saying that Cash Shop profits goes to paying half the server cost, so I'm sure it is of importance to him.

Female
42 posts

baron_star • 15 July 2011 at 4:23 PM

@meteoroid - Oooooh. Okay. That makes more sense.

Female
6,833 posts

whitefall • 15 July 2011 at 4:23 PM

@meteoroid - Yes, he posted that on the SIte Blog a few days ago. ^^

Though this idea might be nice for people who can't buy items from the CSP, Ian needs money, and nobody would buy from him if this was an actual feature. 😋

Female
3,089 posts

rawrcookies08 • 15 July 2011 at 4:24 PM

@meteoroid True..

Female
42 posts

baron_star • 15 July 2011 at 4:27 PM

@whitefall - agreed. People will just have to gift. Wait; maybe people could have a "gift CC" option?

Female
6,833 posts

whitefall • 15 July 2011 at 4:28 PM

@baron_star - Now, that's an idea I support. xD Well, Ian won't implement it if there's so way you could abuse it. ;-; I don't think you can abuse it, so maybe that's an idea he'll like! ^^

Female
42 posts

baron_star • 15 July 2011 at 4:29 PM

@whitefall - That's what I was thinking. I can't think of a way it can be abused.
@Ian - What do you think of this idea?

Male
1,991 posts

Ian • 16 July 2011 at 12:54 PM

I am not opposed to a feature like this, but this is why it could be massively controversial for users.

I have thought about this idea several times. But one thing that has always got me snagged is: what would the conversion ratio be? As of right now, there is no logical economic way (using any site metrics) to determine a fair ratio.

The obvious counterpoint would be: just pick an arbitrary ratio and stick with it. But I can't do that. Therein lies my next point: the current supporters of the CSP. As of right now, CSP items/creatures have both their literal and implicit values. Depending on what the conversion ratio is set to, it could potentially devalue CSP items/creatures. What would happen? CSP supporters would become very unhappy because they see less value in what they have already paid for. So... then the conversion ratio would have to be adjusted to keep CSP supporters happy. What happens then? Normal users would freak out ["OMG YOU KILLED THE RATIO!!"]. And if the ratio is so extreme (like 1m EC -> 100 CC), what's the point then?

Very quickly I'm sure that you can see something like this could disrupt the entire system... this is why I've stayed away from implementing a feature like this.

Male
1,247 posts

Meteoroid • 16 July 2011 at 1:00 PM

And I find that reasoning logical and understandable. The Eggconomy is a fragile and constantly changing system that reacts to even slight changes, it seems.
But it is great that you have put a considerable amount of thought into the idea.

Female
42 posts

baron_star • 16 July 2011 at 4:23 PM

@Ian- Oooh. I see, and agree. I'm glad that you put so much thought and consideration into this; agreeing with @meteoroid. Thank you for looking at this!

Female
4,589 posts

crescentfeather • 16 July 2011 at 4:32 PM

More like a 2mil EC-100 CC converter 0_0

I mean, CC is... real money.