Science Quiz #2. CC Prizes!

in User Contests & Giveaways

Deleted • 11 May 2014 at 6:32 AM

CURRENT QUIZ: PHYSICS + BIOLOGY

This is the second part of the science quiz that comes at random intervals! A chance for all to win CC creatures! πŸ˜ƒ It's initial topic is located here

The winners can choose any one of the following:
1. Wigglet
2. Ryby
3. 2,000,000 πŸͺ™

Your choice! πŸ˜ƒ Only one prize would be given out. So first come first serve. The first to answer ALL the questions correctly will get a choice of any of the prizes mentioned.

So.. here are the questions:

*presentation sound* Tada!

1. Why do electricians wear rubber sandals/shoes and rubber gloves while working?
2. A piece of wire is redrawn by pulling it until its length is doubled. Compare the new resistance with the original/initial resistance.
3. What do you mean by the statement that a bulb is rated 60 Watts at 220 Volts?
4. What is the advantage of having a separate nasal cavity and an oral cavity?
5. Through which process pyruvic acid produces ethyl alcohol?
6. Six 1-Ohm resistors are connected to form a regular hexagon. Calculate the resistance offered by the combination if the electric current enters at the point A and leaves from the point B.
Diagram: http://i57.tinypic.com/2012h6a.png
7. In the figure given alongside, calculate the following requirements:
(i) the current passing through the arm AB, AC and CD.
(ii) the potential difference across AB, CD and DE.
Diagram: http://i62.tinypic.com/29curgx.png
Additional Info:-
R1 = 12 Ohms
R2 = 6 Ohms
R3 = 4 Ohms
Battery = 1.5 Volts
8. Give reasons why:
(i) Plants look green.
(ii) The respiratory surface of an earthworm is its skin.
(iii) During test for presence of starch in a leaf, we boil the leaf in alcohol.
9. In which three aspects does respiration in plants differ from that in animals?
10. State the reasons for the following:
(i) Arteries form capillaries
(ii) Plants growing in arid region have deep roots and sunken stomata.
11. What is the major cause of blood pressure? What may happen if a person is having a very high blood pressure?
12. Name the respiratory equipment used in serious causes of respiratory failure? Which technological invention is given to a patient who has trouble in breathing?
13. (i) Name the type of respiration taking place through lungs.
(ii) Name two animals with cutaneous respiration.
14. Out of the two bulbs listed below:
Bulb 1 rated 40 Watt at 220 Volts
Bulb 2 rated 100 Watts at 220 Volts
Which one will glow brighter when connected in series to a supply of 220 Volts?

The limitations are:
(i) Valid reasons must be provided for each answer.
(ii) The answer must not be one-word.
(iii) The answer is preferred to be in formal explanation.
(iv) Prizes will be given once all questions have been answered correctly by a single person or a group of people (they can divide it among themselves)

The time starts now.

Deleted • 11 May 2014 at 6:35 AM

I was told to ping certain people here
@beckah-lula
@purrclan
@nenielsen
@werewolf
@trig

Deleted • 11 May 2014 at 6:35 AM

Thanks @outlander.

The rest of the pings:
@satoshi818
@mastergemma
@cookiemonster
@box

Ready, set, go!

Deleted • 11 May 2014 at 6:36 AM

And the crowd goes wild! 😊

Female
560 posts

pokewolfkyuubi • 11 May 2014 at 9:35 AM

@frosted
I only know some answers... Should I post them here or not?

Female
369 posts

beckah-lula • 11 May 2014 at 10:25 AM

@frosted okay, spent all morning doing this πŸ˜‹ here I goπŸ˜‹

1, The rubber gloves provides a non conductive between the electrician and the wires. The rubber shoes provide another barrier to prevent electricity from even trying to go through the electrician because electricity wants to go to the ground but if it can’t it won’t even try.
2, because everything but the length is the same (the area and the resistivity) therefore if the length is twice as long then the resistance will be twice as large.
3, Voltage is the strength of the electric flow and watts is the energy (joule per second) so at 220volts the light bulb will produce 60 watts of energy.
4, fish use their mouth for eating and nose for smelling, so then the advantage is keeping the systems separate so they won’t interfere with each other.
5, pyruvic acid produces ethyl alcohol in the process of alcoholic fermentation, a biological process that is a part of some organisms’ cellular respiratory system.
6, a single electron can only go one way or another, therefore the total amount of resistance any one electron can go through consists of the three 1ohm parts which equals a total resistance of 3ohms.
7I, the current passing AB according to the formula I = V over R, is 0.125amps, the current through AC is not defined using this formula because the resistance was not provided (so unsure of what the answer isπŸ˜‹)
7II, the potential difference (V) between AB is (according to the formula V = I times R) 1.5V and the voltage for CD is 1.5V too and the last one DE is also 1.5V (unsure about this oneπŸ˜‹)
8I, the producers of chlorophyll (chloroplasts) absorb light of certain wavelengths, the rest gets reflected away, the reflected light we see is green to our eyes.
8II, due to it not having any lungs it relies on its skin because the skin has a large enough surface area to absorb the necessary amount of oxygen.
8III, the leaves are boiled to better prepare them for the iodine test by breaking down chloroplasts and cell membranes (not in that order?)
9, the three aspects are: 1, the waste products of anaerobic respiration (ethanol and CO2 instead of lactic acid), 2, plants get their carbohydrates from photosynthesis and 3, plants store their carbohydrates in long chains of glucose with not many branching molecules as opposed to animals whom store it with many branching molecules.
10I, the main function of arteries is to transport blood so that nutrients and oxygen can reach every single cell in the body, in the capillary the cellular walls are thin enough to allow these nutrients and oxygen to diffuse straight through into the needy cells.
10II, deep roots make sure they can access water for a longer period of time so it does not require frequent rain, and a sunken stomata hinders water from dissipating from the plant.
11, as the blood is moving through the arteries it pushes against the sides of the blood vessels, the strength of this pushing is the blood pressure, too high blood pressure can strain the arteries and heart leading to heart attacks and strokes.
12, oxygen therapy is the first stage, this is where the patient carries an oxygen tank with a tuibe that connects to their nose/nasal cavity, the next stage is using a tracheotomy, this is a hole made in the neck to the windpipe that oxygen can be pumped through, lastly is the ventilator which can only really be used in hospitals, it pumps oxygen through a mask into the body, your doctor will set it to the correct amount of oxygen for your needs.
13I, when respiration takes place using internal organs such as lungs it is called pulmonary respiration
13II, animals that breathe through their skin are salamanders, and frogs
14, bulb 2 because it produces more energy at the same voltage and therefore has more to lose (I thinkπŸ˜‹)

Female
2,296 posts

kollais • 11 May 2014 at 11:42 AM

@frosted

Hm, interesting thing you've done) I've tried, but I can be mistaken in some things. Also, hope my English is good enough, I've never used so many scientific terms. Oh, school sweet school)

1) To prevent electric shock, because rubber is dielectric.

2) Is more in 4 times. Initial - R1=p*l/S;
new - R2=p*2l/0.5S=4R1;

3)It means that 60 Watts is max power that bulb can give if you connect it to electric network with voltage of 220 Volts

4) Eating and breathing can be done it the same time. And safety. Special hairs in nose protect you from bacteria and flying particles (sneezing).

5) Reaction of renewal (part of reaction of spirit fermentation)

6) 3 Ohms, because those resistors are sequentially connected.

7) 1. AB: I1=U/R1 = 1.5 Volts / 12 = 0.125 amps
AC: I=U/R, R->0, I->0
DC: I2=U/R2=1.5/6=0.25
2.Fa-Fb=I1*R1=0.125*12=1.5
Fc-Fd=I2*R2=0.25*6=1.5
Fd-Fe=1.5

8) 1.Because of chlorophyll.
2. Because of building of their skin and body it's good for them to absorb oxygen from water and soil.
3. For discolouration. And then we should add iodine. If leave would be blue - there is starch.

9) 1.Plants emit oxygen and absorb carbon dioxide, reverse for animals.
2. plants use cellular respiration, animals - through special organs (in most of cases)
3. respiration in plants depends on sun

10) 1. Blood flows away from a body's heart via arteries, which branch and narrow into arterioles, and then branch further still into capillaries. After their tissues have been perfused the capillaries then join and widen to become venules which in turn widen and converge to become veins, which then return blood back to the body's heart through the different great veins.
2. They need deep roots to get the water, that is deep in soil. And sunken stomata to keep water that they have.

11) Blood pressure is the pressure made by the blood inside blood vessels. Unless otherwise stated, "blood pressure" refers to systemic arterial blood pressure. This is the pressure in larger arteries delivering blood to body parts other than the lungs, for example the brachial artery in the arm. The blood pressure changes. Blood pressure is higher in arteries than it is in other blood vessels. Blood pressure is often measured in millimetres of mercury (mmHg). In case of high blood pressure person can feel: nausea, dizziness, tinnitus, breathlessness, feeling the heat and so on

12) Artificial pulmonary ventilation with special respirator or tracheostomy - special operation when a special tube is connected to person's trachea

13) 1.pulmonary breathing
2. amphibious - for example frogs, also some fishes and also worms

14) second, because it's power is higher

Deleted • 11 May 2014 at 11:46 AM

@beckah-lula
You're correct... but I've got the replies on the 7th question for which you had doubts.

The resistance was provided..

Just below the Diagram link..
R1 = 12 Ohms
R2 = 6 Ohms
R3 = 4 Ohms

Here.. R1, R2 and R3 are the resistors which are labelled in the diagram.. and their resistance is as provided.

I hope so you get the answer now. If possible, post it for the public so that all answers are correct and nobody says about that you left out one etc.

Well.. what is your choice for the prize this time?
Ryby, Wigglet or 2mil? 😊

Well.. it seems you're hogging all the prizes. xD Well.. but that's talent.

Deleted • 11 May 2014 at 11:47 AM

Derpity derp.

Deleted • 11 May 2014 at 11:49 AM

NINJA'D...

Well.. @kollais
I really think you were late.. but since you were already my friend.. plus.. I was already thinking to gift you a Flegga for all the help you did for me.. I'll let you have the Flegga.

Thanks for all your help.

Lot #473961

Female
369 posts

beckah-lula • 11 May 2014 at 12:33 PM

@frosted

Okay, thank you😊
7I, DC is 0.25 using the same formula as before and AC I still cannot calculate because there's 0 resistance between A and C and I can't divide by 0 πŸ˜‹

Female
2,296 posts

kollais • 11 May 2014 at 1:36 PM

@frosted

Woah, thank you) I was doing it just to shake the dust off my brain) Little bit tired of math and programming, so biology and physics were opportunely.

And can ask, have you already finished school? And if no, in which form are you?

Female
996 posts

nenielsen • 11 May 2014 at 8:02 PM

@frosted not only is it over in one day, it finished in only 5 hours... too bad I missed out. :/ Idk, anyone could look these questions up online so of course it would be over so soon. X-x

Deleted • 11 May 2014 at 8:36 PM

@kollais
I've finished the 10th grade. I'm proceeding to +2/ 11th grade. That is why I'm putting out questions of the 10th grade.

I feel like testing my knowledge.. as well as others. 8D

@nenielsen
Yeah.. but Google is not always the option. People can do it themselves.. right?

But the contest depends on luck for those who know the answer on the pace they respond. I randomly put the quiz at timings someone would never expect just for it to be a sudden surprise in the Livepulse.

Don't be disappointed.. a third quiz is also coming soon.!

@beckah-lula
I guess you're right so.. what prize would you like?
Wigglet, Ryby or 2mil EC.

Female
996 posts

nenielsen • 11 May 2014 at 8:55 PM

@frosted I know I could have answered the questions if I was fast enough, but I don't know about other people. I always pictured Egg Cave as a kids' site, so I don't know. ^^"

I know, but the way I see it is anyone could look up the answers to the questions, so the odds of someone winning are like a raffle, pretty much by chance.

Okay, I hope I make the next one in time. 😊 This is a great contest idea, but I might do a few things differently like having users PM answers, and having multiple winners. The prizes would probably have to be smaller, though. Or you could do 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners? If this was up for longer than a couple hours, it would probably my favorite kind of contest. πŸ˜ƒ

Female
2,296 posts

kollais • 12 May 2014 at 1:01 AM

@frosted

I see) Testing your knowledge is always good)
And I agree with @nenielsen. May be contestants should sent you answers via PM, and here just write something like "Send answers". Or the point is that everyone could see, how contestant answered and learn something new?

Female
369 posts

beckah-lula • 12 May 2014 at 2:35 AM

@nenielsen

I'm in training to be a teacher 😊 so these kind if tests are great for like little pop quizzesπŸ˜‹ I must admit I struggled on the biology one about the nose cavity, I actually got my human biology book out of the cupboard, I knew I'd done it before just been so long ya know? 😊 I guess that's kinda the same as looking the answer up on google:/ sorry, didn't really think of it :/ although I don't see the harm in people googling answers, this quiz requires you to explain the information so even if you do google the answer surely you'd need to understand it to write about it, and it encourages people to learn new things, not just recap on old knowledge 😊 but that's my opinion 😊

@frosted could I have the wigglet? 😊 and out of curiosity what's 10th grade?

682 posts

werewolf • 12 May 2014 at 4:03 AM

@frosted
not sure if i'll be able to answer all of them but...
1. electricians wear rubber gloves to stop themselves from getting electrocuted since electricity can't pass trough rubber
2. (not sure ??? )
3. (thinking nope no answer)
4.having a separate nasal and oral cavity helps with when we eat,smell,breathe and helps supply more oxygen to the body.
6.(ummmmmmm ????)
running out of time will finish later

Deleted • 12 May 2014 at 8:49 AM

@werewolf
Sorry.. that seems too... say.. in-complete?

@beckah-lula
Lot #474218

@kollais
Exactly. 😊

@nenielsen
It's just like I randomly feel of putting off some science questions of the hundreds of test sheets I have filled with sets of questions (10-20) just for having a fun test.. say.. a pop quiz.. as well as giving out prizes? xD

Female
996 posts

nenielsen • 12 May 2014 at 1:29 PM

@frosted yup, I get it. πŸ˜‹ Just making it easier to enter and compete would be helpful. 😊

@beckah-lula I understand, I'm pretty much just complaining because I didn't enter in time. 😊 You deserve the prize, I only wished there was more time to enter. Huh, I guess Egg Cave is for all ages. πŸ˜‹ I'm 15, but my mother is a college professor in biology, so I know most of these facts. I also have pretty good memory, so I remember all of this from school. πŸ˜‹

Female
369 posts

beckah-lula • 12 May 2014 at 2:22 PM

@nenielsen haha wicked, good for your mum! My dad's a builder, don't learn a lot there:/ although he is a fish fanatic and has fish tanks, hence why I referred to fish in one of my answers, I know more about them than humansπŸ˜‹ I took human biology at A level but I got the lowest possible grade above a fail... Haha wasn't my forte but biology not to do with humans I'm fine with hehe πŸ˜‹

Female
996 posts

nenielsen • 12 May 2014 at 2:30 PM

@beckah-lula thanks. 😊 Although, my dad owns and works at a gas station, so its pretty much just my mom. πŸ˜‹ I raise and show poultry, sheep, and cattle at stockshows and fairs locally, so I get a lot of veterinary experience that way. 😊 Gotta go, I'm busy feeding. πŸ˜‰

Female
369 posts

beckah-lula • 12 May 2014 at 2:34 PM

@nenielsen wowπŸ˜ƒ I would love that! I love animals so much, I used to visit my friends farm but we moved away☹️ I wish I could keep animals but there's just no room, well have fun feeding! I enjoyed our conversation 😊

Female
996 posts

nenielsen • 12 May 2014 at 2:37 PM

@beckah-lula I plan on becoming a large animal veterinarian them so much. 😊 It's pretty exciting because all my sheep had lambs and my cow had a calf recently, also. X) I'm sorry to hear that, but at least you have the fish! I've had fish before, and they're pretty cool. Thanks, I did too. πŸ˜‰

Deleted • 13 May 2014 at 11:35 PM

Well.. actually better luck next time for all those who were not able to participate/did not get the answers.

I'll be hosting another one as soon as possible (as soon as I get something that seems a bit good and tricky to throw out). 😊

102 posts

gerf • 21 May 2014 at 11:52 PM

@frosted That would be hilarious if those were from your hw. XD Naughty!

Deleted • 22 May 2014 at 1:54 AM

Lol. What an idea. Well... homework usually needs to be done in a day so...

Well.. good idea but actually I dont feel that deaperate for it.