GlitterMammals

in Chit-Chat

Male
1,842 posts

harrypotter123698 • 31 August 2011 at 9:02 AM

OMG xD So many comments! 😊 @redfire77 I would love to have another artist! But do you think you can draw it Glitter-mammal style sorta? 😊 I would love to see how it comes out! 😊 Just make a random creature 😊

@elysian But the art is supposed to be like that ☹️ It's glitter-mammalish- style ☹️

@crooton1 Thanks so much for making this thread! 😊

@lillia thanks for joining!

MORE FEATURES ARE ON THE WAY! YOU WILL SOON GET TO STORE YOUR MAMMALS ON YOUR OWN GLITTER PLANET WHERE YOU CAN DECORATE IT ~suggested by crrooton1

Lots more features that weren't mentioned are on the way! Like CS, New FREE Galaxy monthlies , and more!!! 😃

Female
696 posts

lillia • 31 August 2011 at 9:09 AM

@harrypotter123698
thank you for this awsome site!!

Male
1,842 posts

harrypotter123698 • 31 August 2011 at 9:13 AM

@lillia Your welcome! 😊 Keep stalking the site, and you'll find the release of Glitter Planets (to store you mammals), Trade Center (coming maybe late september early october) , and the CS! 😃 And tomorrow, stay tuned for the FREE new monthlies program where every month, there is 3-4 new glitter mammals available to get in the Glitter Galaxy! 😃

Deleted • 31 August 2011 at 9:21 AM

@harrypotter123689 mwahahaha😈 the blouse lives on!!!😈

Male
1,842 posts

harrypotter123698 • 31 August 2011 at 9:28 AM

@icicle_9510 Dont worry! 😊 The Blouse will have a suprise tomorrow! 😃 *gives creepy smiley face* 😈

Deleted • 31 August 2011 at 9:29 AM

@harrypotter123689 oooooh😃
@elysian hey!☹️ I drew the blouse!☹️

Male
1,842 posts

harrypotter123698 • 31 August 2011 at 9:37 AM

@icicle_9510 yup 😉 cant wait to share the big suprise for the blouse 😉

Female
73 posts

elysian • 31 August 2011 at 10:20 AM

@harrypotter123698 - I have nothing against glitter on images, but the images you put the glitter over are not aesthetic.

@icicle_9510 - Good for you, I guess? o.o; I'm not trying to be mean but if you do want to eventually get some income or have really active players on it, art is a big thing.

You know what, okay. You want to put a lot of time into the site, go ahead. I am not stopping anyone. Have fun with the site, kids. 😸

Male
1,842 posts

harrypotter123698 • 31 August 2011 at 10:22 AM

@elysian ....☹️

Female
2,171 posts

rosey77 • 31 August 2011 at 10:36 AM

@elysian That's pretty mean saying that their art isn't too good.... ☹️ Maybe think about what you say before you say it next time?

Female
2,307 posts

lizardfeather • 31 August 2011 at 10:40 AM

@rosey77 Well it is a matter of opinion but I agree the delivery was a bit... harsh? I mean the images do need some fine-tuning for it to get really popular, but yea @elysian you could have said it without that last sentence... the "kids" and "good for you" sound kinda condescending. :/

Female
2,171 posts

rosey77 • 31 August 2011 at 10:40 AM

@lizardfeather Yep.

Female
73 posts

elysian • 31 August 2011 at 11:04 AM

Hey, if you don't want to take the critisism just do the site already. What I say shouldn't upset you if you don't want to hear it. Call me mean and nasty or whatever, I came here to give my honest opinion, wether or not it was welcomed.

And I am assuming a lot by adding 'kids', and I am being incredibly patronizing. But it doesn't sound like the owner has any idea about what making a site like this involves. o.o;

I mean, I can go to every page without being logged in or registered and find things, not every mammal gives me a bbcode, they don't have levels or even evolutions, I don't know if it's an adoptable site, a petsite or a free to use graphics site, that kind of stuff.

I'm also sorry I was so rude, but I really don't think these people know what they are trying to make or what they're trying to do or how they're even going to do it! D: I know I didn't have to be so mean about it, but my actual constructive critisism got washed away with the 1500 characters.

3,153 posts

sanibel_18 • 31 August 2011 at 11:08 AM

aww... i cant join because im under 13. ☹️

Male
5,469 posts

crooton1 • 31 August 2011 at 11:30 AM

@Elysian

I know.
We are working on the art.
We were just getting the basic idea out,
as we are possibly getting a artist. 😉

EDIT;

That was pretty mean. ☹️

Male
1,842 posts

harrypotter123698 • 31 August 2011 at 11:37 AM

@elysian It was supposed to be a free to use site where you just get the codes and put them in siggys but....I wanted to change it up a little so lots of the features haven't come out yet. Right now, you have to register for forums BUT you need to register to have a Glitter Planet (feature coming soon) so....yea 😊

Female
73 posts

elysian • 31 August 2011 at 1:21 PM

@harrypotter123698 and @crooton1 - Don't forget you can download a free paint program called the GIMP, or you can get a trial of photoshop or paint tool sai (Similar to photoshop but it's $60 after the free trail runs out).

I know I sounded mean, but I have the best intentions by being mean - As a budding site owner myself, I have done a lot of research into what makes the beating heart of a site, what makes players come back and what grips them in the first place. I have spent hours on hours doing the art, layout and design work for the site while a coder friend of mine has likewise, spent hours and hours of his life into the backbones and features of the site. I've spent over $300 on sketches and artwork that I'm simply too busy to do, and the coder and I have spent $100 on the site's hosting for the development year (We expect the price to go up once we open) - We're in closed beta, and we are nowhere near a commercial site yet.

We have spent March-June planning and getting the basics done for the site, and we have done numerous bugfixes and added more stuff to the site as time has progressed, but the fact is; It isn't easy. It might seen fun, but you will be putting hours of work into this if you want it to get anywhere!

Male
1,842 posts

harrypotter123698 • 31 August 2011 at 1:25 PM

@elysian 😱 GIMP is free?! 😱 Maybe I'll download that later 😃

Male
5,469 posts

crooton1 • 31 August 2011 at 1:29 PM

@Elysian

We're just doing this for fun. 😊
It'd be nice to have thousands of users, but really, it's just to spend our free time on.

Female
73 posts

elysian • 31 August 2011 at 1:33 PM

@crooton1 - Many people do spend money and a lot of time on hobby sites, mine is a hobby site. I don't want thousands of users, ok, maybe one day, but even without having aspirations to be huge, there are responsibilities and things that people look for.

If you wanted to make a site just because you wanted it to be a business with thousands of users, you can easily spend $5000 on it, coding is especially expensive, and there aren't many who do it for free, and art is expensive too for an image heavy site. Not to mention marketing. But this is if you want a site with thousands of users really quickly. You could get free help but people can be flaky. :c

It's just something to keep in mind for if you do have aspirations beyond 'Hey, this is fun!'. I am making my site because I think it's fun, and I too spend my free time on it, but stuff can get expensive and difficult sometimes.

Male
1,842 posts

harrypotter123698 • 31 August 2011 at 1:39 PM

Well..I started Glitter Mammals back in May cause Egg Cave inspired me to make a site. Everything went well. I then got crooton1 to be a moderator for my site and we now have even more features! I'm doing this, cause I wanted to have a site that people can play for ages! 😊 I'm implementing 2 new features today and a trade center is coming in October. 😊 I would love to have thousands and thousands of users to support me with my site. 😊 One day, I dream of Glitter Mammals having thousands of users...that would be nice....😊

1,903 posts

petpet55 • 31 August 2011 at 2:40 PM

@elysian

First off, I saw your art and it's amazing.
I understand it's hard making a site and it DOES cost money to do so. That's why I'm currently having the idea of my own site on hold. I really wish you luck and you have great chances of being successful.

Second off, they are both young and I know I was no better at drawing when I was their age, especially on a computer. They are having fun drawing and making up their own creatures and stuff so why take it so seriously? I mean it would be great if they make a popular site but at the moment I think it's most important they are getting some experience in coding and site management and I think it's great thing. I can't code half stuff they can and I'm not ashamed to admit that. (I do plan on going to web design classes and stuff as soon as my schedule frees up.)
Art is matter of spiritual stuff and enjoying it, not being an elitist.

Sorry if anything sounded rude but I'm sorta sensitive on that subject xD

@pipkitten

To more cheerful subject; drawing in Paint so so fun! xD
It's great break from photoshop once in a while 😊
Tutorials are really useful, it makes you get the best out of that simple program 😊

Male
5,469 posts

crooton1 • 31 August 2011 at 2:53 PM

@Petpet55

We just received our first payment of $1!!! 😃

1,903 posts

petpet55 • 31 August 2011 at 2:55 PM

@crotoon1

Haha, that's awesome! 😃 Congratz ^^

Male
5,469 posts

crooton1 • 31 August 2011 at 2:57 PM

@Petpet55

And at Christmas we might have a tablet for even better creatures! 😃

1,903 posts

petpet55 • 31 August 2011 at 2:59 PM

@crotoon1

That's cool 😊 I hope you do get a tablet 😊 Because they are awesome 😊 *hugs hers*

Male
5,469 posts

crooton1 • 31 August 2011 at 3:02 PM

@Petpet55

We got 7 members! 😊
Hm...
I might be doing the art by hand and then sending it in to get sparkilized. 😋

1,903 posts

petpet55 • 31 August 2011 at 3:06 PM

@crotoon1

Nice ^^ I'd join really but Ahh too much sparkles xD No offense, I still think it's great thing you are doing. I'm just not the sparkly person xD
That's neat 😊 It's always good with more species 😊

Male
5,469 posts

crooton1 • 31 August 2011 at 3:10 PM

@Petpet55

Do you think we should take away the sparkles? 😋

Female
73 posts

elysian • 31 August 2011 at 3:11 PM

@petpet55 - Yup, I realise they are young, but I so wish I had been told this stuff when I was younger. I helped make a site which is fairly popular, only my lack of experience was terrible for the site. :C

I don't want to be elitist about art, but my stuff isn't even that good - Obviously harrypotter will learn how to draw like a professional eventually, but to want thousands of members is unrealistic no matter how you slice it. XD

I can't code, either, so I'm with you on that. Web design is the tip of the iceberg, trust me. XD After that you have java and ajax to look at, then if you wanted to make a dynamic site, PHP. It's a LOT to take in, especially for a younger person, which is why I'd like to think I'm not being elitist, but simply giving a much-needed insight into what it takes to make a semi-successful site in this genre. I lost my rude attitude and instead decided to point them in what I feel is the right direction, and warn them of the responsibilities and pitfalls (Or expenses) of running a site like this one.

If I really didn't care, I wouldn't have shared an insight on what it takes to make a site.