Site Idea: Hidden Auctions

in Site Feedback & Ideas

Rate this idea:

Female
462 posts

megadash • 19 September 2016 at 9:20 PM

Expanding on the idea of private auctions, why not add hidden auctions. These would be set-up like normal auctions, but these lots would not appear in any searches unless a user were given the URL to the lot. For example:

Normal Auction Lot URL:
http://eggcave.com/creatureauctions/view/10000
Private Auction Lot URL:
http://eggcave.com/creatureauctions/view/10000-916

This way, even if a person logically concluded that lot #10000 was an active lot, the dash and the last three to five numbers, letters, combination, or whatever, would be randomly assigned and only those who had been given the URL would know. Others could only guess. A alert page could either go to the the standard "Invalid Auction" page or read something along the lines of:
"Invalid Auction

The auction you're trying to view is a hidden auction and can only be accessed by a approval of its creator."

This would be greatly valued by two types of people: 1.) People transferring single creatures to storage accounts, and 2.) People selling single creatures to select people without having to fill their "Friends" list with too many people, subsequently voiding the advantage of the private auctions.

Obviously, people would have to remember to send these URLs via private messages. After all, posting them on a user public profiles would make them, well, public.

#MegadashIdea

Female
3,584 posts

lailaluckyseal87 • 19 September 2016 at 9:44 PM

@megadash Luv it!

Female
276 posts

silverpoppy • 19 September 2016 at 9:48 PM

@megadash
Mind Blown.

Male
660 posts

veritaspunk • 19 September 2016 at 11:41 PM

@megadash

I'm a strong proponent of privacy rights and choices/options, so this is definitely something I support, even if on egg cave I personally see myself not using a feature like that very much.

One main causation for this as you have listed is transferring. There has to be a better way. One way would be to add in other options for acquiring more space.

A profile that allows the user to access multiple coves . or jump with one click to another on one account like many video games allow you to.

Perhaps on a site like this those features are too complex, at this time .at least ... so this suggestion would be very warranted and is much needed imo.

Female
2,158 posts

prairie • 22 October 2016 at 4:44 PM

@megadash I love this idea. XD

Plus, if you wanted to auction a pet to friends only, tons of people wouldn't start spamming your friends requests to get in on it. :/